SPORTS AND DIABETES V2.0

tica's profile photo   03/06/2012 4:09 a.m.

I have been running for two weeks, but there is no day that something does not happen to me.I think I'm going to give up.Yesterday I left at 150, the basal at 40% and at half an hour the dexcom marks me that is picked up for bass.With the hypos you cannot trust, if it marks you at 44 you can be 55 or 40 but what scared me was the two downward arrows that means that it is descending 3 mg/dl per minute or more (and in that it usually gets it)So when I was at 110 I disconnected the pump (but I kept running) and took 15 gr of sugar.When he marked me 55 another 15 gr of sugar and started walking (I didn't have more sugar).Under up to 40 and because I went with my partner that I would have not scared a lot (because I started seeing badly).When I arrived home, 20 minutes had already passed and I started to find myself well I was 100. I put on 1 unit because I knew it would rise to me (an hour without a pump and 30gr of sugar) I left the shower and was 150 with two arrows up,I put on two other units.We went to a Japanese to dinner.Just before starting 300 and went up.I corrected and calculated the HC (that nobody assures me to do it well).Two hours later I was at 270, I correct myself but two units less than it was up (I knew I would come down more).At twelve I started having hypoglycemia, I have stuck four hours at night drinking juice (1 liter of juice in total), with the 80% basal and I got up at 150, but because at six o'clockThe sugar, all night 70-80.How fun this diabetes!
I made mistakes:
- Lower the basal 5 minutes before starting to run.Minimum half an hour.
- Do not stop when the subject was bitten.

A solution is to eat before playing sports, but I refuse to have to get to 200 so as not to have a hiccup, for that I do not do sports

Any advice?

tica's profile photo
tica
03/06/2012 4:09 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

I don't know what sport or how much sport you did before starting to run, so my answer may say things that do not fit you.I'm sorry beforehand.But I would say several things about it:

First of all, running is a high intensity aerobic activity.We talk about something that invariably keeps you a percentage of pulsations around 75-80% of your FCMAX (for someone not trained).It is not a minute pein.It is hard.I say it because of the physical resistance that it demands and because the consumption of glucose during sport always requires a period of adaptation of the user until knowing in that situation of metabolic stress such as sport.

On the other hand, in any aerobic activity, for us it is essential to take into account two variables;effort and time.The effort is the percentage of heart intensity that you are going to submit.If you work in a weight control zone (60-70%), you will burn basically fat and your glycemia will not resent (if you later, but not too much).If you work in an aerobic zone (70-80%), the second variable comes into operation;Time.The first half hour could be said that you burn the circulating glucose that you have in your body, and then you begin to burn your body reserves (liver: .glucogen).If time continues, you will begin to burn fat.That is the theory.And depending on that, if you test with intensities and times, you will see how post-exercise glycemic results are significantly different.Also, if we introduce another variable (the muscle groups involved), you will see how glycemia vary from one activity to another.The more muscle and bigger groups, the more glucose consumption (especially after exercise).For example, you will burn more sugar swimming than rowing.And you will burn more with rowing than on the bike.And you will burn more on the bike than in the elliptical.

In short, you have to do two things;First, a period of adaptation to sports activity, go progressively.Personally, starting running is not the best option.It is as if you decide to start doing Puzzles and your first puzzle is 10000 pieces.And secondly, try and analyze how your own body behaves in sport.Because the theory is just a base on which we later work with our differences.

And as for what you say that you would not like to have to get 200 to do sports ... Well, I feel to disappoint you, but in us that is one of the tips that are handled when facing sports activities.Whenever I do sports I have figures like this to avoid having to stop at half an hour.Pretending to do aerobic sports with 110 glucose in a person with the metabolism of altered HC as a diabetic is to ask too much.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
03/06/2012 5:03 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I do the following and I do well.Spinning 45 minutes: An hour before I reduce it to 50%.At the beginning of the exercise at 40-45%.I usually start with 180 and finish with 130. If at the beginning I have less than 140 I take 1 juice without added sugars (1 r fast).

I am doing very well, the fundamental thing is that you reduce 50 % an hour before so that it does not get off almost.

You will tell me how is you doing.Yesterday I did almost an hour and a half of Spinning and it did very well!Cheer up!

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
03/06/2012 5:10 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello,
Gondullo, I am not so crazy :) I have been practicing sport for four years in a more or less continueThe glycemia.That if high, that if it goes down, yes ... I ended up fed up.I run with pulsemaker and stay between 75% -80% with some 85% peak but I reached so much relaxation.And yesterday I spent 40 minutes, about 6.5km, let's go to the rhythm, but good for pulsations.

I will get the basal an hour before, as Pepita says, I will try 50% and see if it goes better, (and if I need it, I will eat something before starting:-/) The truth is that I love running and it is the only physical thingwhere I have found in diabetes a great wall that I can't overcome it.I have made crossings of several days through the mountain, climbing, ravines, skiing, the road of Santiago three times, as little I was passionate about basketball.My first camp was a basketball campus that we trained 6 hours a day to beast (my parents were crazy)

Thanks to both

tica's profile photo
tica
03/06/2012 7:37 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Do not despair tica, surely you will find the formula to be able to run.
Before, when I swim for an hour followed by the following (I tell you in case any idea to try)
-20 minutes before swimming, a 40 grams snack.2 rations that as they are of slow absorption kept me and did not make great peaks.
-Just before I started.If I was below 150 un, zumito.
-After the exercise I mediated me and I normally had 100.
Those if that night put almost half of insulin since I kept burning like crazy.
Keep in mind that my treatment is with feathers and meter.
A hug Greetings.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
03/06/2012 11:59 a.m.

I am preparing my first half marathon, and I assure you that since I am training my glycemiah they go in Railles ..... I train three days per week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, with 10,12,14 km respectively,and at a rate of 4.45/5.05 minutes the km and with a glass of isostar and a banana 10 minutes before starting, when finishing ground around the hundred, then I take off one or two insulin dose in the next two meals .......

Good luck to generate endorphins hook !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/06/2012 12:30 p.m.

And the following 24 hours if the glucogen deposits are emptied !!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/06/2012 12:33 p.m.

hello,
Gondullo, I am not so crazy :) I have been practicing sport for four years in a more or less continueThe glycemia.That if high, that if it goes down, yes ... I ended up fed up.I run with pulsemaker and stay between 75% -80% with some 85% peak but I reached so much relaxation.And yesterday I spent 40 minutes, about 6.5km, let's go to the rhythm, but good for pulsations.

I will get the basal an hour before, as Pepita says, I will try 50% and see if it goes better, (and if I need it, I will eat something before starting:-/) The truth is that I love running and it is the only physical thingwhere I have found in diabetes a great wall that I can't overcome it.I have made crossings of several days through the mountain, climbing, ravines, skiing, the road of Santiago three times, as little I was passionate about basketball.My first camp was a basketball campus that we trained 6 hours a day to beast (my parents were crazy)

Thanks to both

;) That great ethics.I hope you do not give up in your attempt because the problem is only some variable that you are overlooking.There is nothing we cannot do, there are only wrong methods.

JoseManuel's profile photo
JoseManuel
03/07/2012 8:14 a.m.

Hello everyone,
It was because of the sport question. Gondullo says that there are two variants time and effort, and I think that also type of insulin. I explain.
My son before we put Actrapid and Insulatard, and everything you have explained is correct.When the insuulatard dose lowered sports.And gave him a little juice before exercise.
But now they have changed us to Levemir and Novorapid, and it doesn't work like this anymore.
The insulin guideline is at 8 Levemir, 2novorapid, in 2novorapid food and at 4levemir dinner and 3 novorapid.
Well, the exercise does not affect glucose levels, it is more if it does it in the afternoon before with the other insulin method in the early morning the glucose lowered, now it is the opposite rise very high to breakfast.If you do not exercise in the afternoon with 4 of Levemir at night from the last control at 11 at night only 40mg/dl lowers you.But in the afternoon if he has done sports instead of going down he goes up.
And while it does sports neither before nor can it be given hydrates because it shoots.I think it needs to increase the levem, but it is that the day that does not do sport is going well.
Why will this happen?The child weighs 22kg.

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
03/12/2012 11:21 a.m.

Another thing happened to me, the child is going to Judo, and starts with 130, when he ends he continues with 130 and there has been half an hour if I do not put insulin, he begins to upload him,
I think that it is missing to let it be in the morning, but the endocrine said that 8 was fine.And this between 19 and 22 day units, it depends on how the novorapid is adjusting.

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
03/12/2012 11:26 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.