Nothing teaches more to feel that you have little time left

DiabetesForo's profile photo   03/08/2012 12:11 p.m.

It seems to me a fabulous interview of a true reference ... Why won't this man be a minister?

Link ... IEMPO.html >

Albert Jovelll, Physician (UB), Doctor of Public Health (Harvard) and cancer sick

Paradox of the selfish
Sometimes some rich must save them from their own stupidity.Like those who evade taxes in tax havens and then they go to Spanish public hospitals, to which they have spared resources, so that they will save their lives, because in many serious or transplants ailments are simply the best, the best in the world.At the other extreme are exceptional professionals such as Dr. Jovelll, whom public health has saved life, and today it is he who tries to save her, aware that it is the best inheritance - not only for solidarity principles, but by sensepractical - that can leave your children.Sometimes being supportive is the most intelligent way to be selfish;And being selfish is being an idiot.
Without a good public medicine like ours, I would not be alive here ...

not many readers.
... Because, with my salary, I could not have paid me the enormous cost of my cancer treatment - a neuroendocrine tumor of poor prognosis - for ten years.

So I thank professionals and taxpayers.Because, without a public system of research scholarships, I would not have a doctorate at the University of Barcelona or, even less, in public health in Harvard.

You have put the effort.
Without values ​​I would not have reached anything.And they are not mine either.I inherited them from my medical father, who, with other pioneer enthusiasts, believed in public health before it existed and exercised social and solidarity medicine in a working -class neighborhood in Sabadell.

I would say you are up to your height.
And those values ​​that I inherited from my father are also the ones I want to convey to my children.I have not dedicated my life to accumulate a great heritage, but I try to leave my children a good public health.

Wouldn't it be better to leave them a good little money and they would find good hospitals?
It is not only a matter of values, but of efficiency.Health today or is public - the private one has its complementary role - or is not.Only public has the investment in technology, planning and critical mass necessary for the best medicine.

and, in the end, we will all need it.
"There is no one so sick that I cannot live another day or so healthy that I cannot die today."

We know it, but without being aware.
I am aware: I have had two medical careers: the vertical as a doctor and the horizontal as a patient.In the vertical, you see the disease;In the horizontal, you live.

And what have you taught?
To give importance to the important and remove it to the rest.Many live thinking that they will never have them, that getting sick and dying is something remote and alien.

until it touches you.
One day they discover a tumor and every moment acquires meaning: your time has a limit.And that certainty of uncertainty is a teacher in making you distinguish the essential.

What is essential?
Your family, your friends, your work, what you want to leave behind you ... Hence I have written you can happen to you and, with Jordi Sacristán, the social metge;four other books;That a forum of 850,000 patients presides, and directs the Institut de Salut Public of the International University of Catalonia.And...

We will all need a good hospital.
The most selfish investment of many who devote themselves trying to spare taxes would be to give them to public health, because they would extend their life expectancy: defend thePublic Health is to defend the life of the rich and the poor.

Pagant, Sant Pere sings ... And cure?
Paying taxes we all have better medicine.Private is necessary: ​​it is complementary, but if you have something serious, a public hospital is better: do you think the king of Spain could choose a hospital?

I imagine
It was treated in a public, the Clinic in Barcelona, ​​because it was the best for the ailment they feared.Isn't it wonderful that the same excellent teams also treat the humble citizen?

Why does Health sick today?
Successful sick: patients who previously died without remedy today live and become chronic - more expensive - and thus extend our lives and ailments in decades.

but not our income and taxes.
The key is the population pyramid.There are more and more seniors - more expense - and less young people, who also get less income - if they have employment - and, therefore, pay less taxes.

Good diagnosis: Is there treatment?
Resize, rationalize.In prosperous years each municipality asked for its airport, sports center, highway and great hospital.Many won elections to achieve a great very technified hospital.In addition, doctors like to have the latest technology.

Being effective is not always being efficient.
But, paradoxically, the improvement of the roads turned the new hospitals in redundant, because the reference centers that were three hours today are two.And we cannot all finance them.

What do we do with the redundant?
Convert their beds and dedicate them to the chronicles, while reserving the latest technology for the reference centers.

Where is the red line when cutting?
In case today's cutting means more cost tomorrow, because the delay affects the diagnosis: a misleading diabetic today means a very expensive kidney transplant tomorrow.A bad savings in the emergency room can mean spending the double in a patient.

Senate, deputations, regional councils are also redundant ...
We have been negligent to let the partitocracy make our decisions.If we want quality in the administration, we must participate in it every day as users: we will overcome the welfare state in which politicians make decisions and let's get into the welfare society, which we all take.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/08/2012 12:11 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I read it to you in the face.Very interesting.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/09/2012 7:09 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.