{'en': "Hello, I'm new and mother of a 21 -month -old diabetic child", 'es': 'Hola soy nueva y madre de un niño diabetico de 21 meses'} Image

Hello, I'm new and mother of a 21 -month -old diabetic child

shandra's profile photo   01/28/2009 5:49 a.m.

Hello,

My son debuted with 17 months and the truth is this is a bit overwhelming, it is crazy to control it as much as I have already studied everything about diabetes, I control the food, medication and even the exercise that does a little complicated thingGiven the age of my son, and still nothing is so much in 300 and stay in 30, I suppose it is normal at the beginning but when is it stabilized a bit?: (((

Thank you!

shandra's profile photo
shandra
01/28/2009 5:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Shandra, here we understand you perfectly.
He tries not to overwhelm you, although I know that with such a small child things are complicated.Above all, it avoids the lows as much as possible.Talk a lot with your endo and the educator, who will give you guidelines to adjust those glycemia as much as possible.

Here, apart from understanding you, you will find parents who spend or have spent a while ago because of the same situation as you.
I am the mother of a diabetic girl who now has 15 and debuted with 8 years, but there are parents of children who have debuted being babies.

Go to the section "I am looking for someone from" and there you will find a thread of "parents."

You'll see how we are going to get the thing not so ugly and that you are very sure.

A kiss to the little one.

Welcome home

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/28/2009 6:05 a.m.

Hello!!!!!!
As Alea told you, we understand you perfectly.My daughter, who is now three years old, debuted with 22 months.It is true that it is very difficult to control and that those "surprises" often pass, but little by little everything improves, it begins to take the calm and gets better.
Do very well to study and search for information, the more we know about diabetes, the better for our children.The important thing is to avoid declines.Our endo says that we avoid being below 80, at least until 6 years.You have to measure a lot and prove the relationships between food and insulin, since exercise, as you say, with this age is impossible.
Well, here we are for what you need.Stop for parents, there you will learn a lot from other parents in your very situation.
Kisses for you and your little one.

DiabetesForo
01/28/2009 7:23 a.m.

Hi Shandra

I always say the same but knowing other people in your very situation is good and helps to face things differently.

A good place is this forum, so don't cut yourself to ask anything.

Some diabetes associations have a good orientation to parents ... try to contact them.

DiabetesForo
01/28/2009 3:31 p.m.

Hi Shandra

I always say the same but knowing other people in your very situation is good and helps to face things differently.

A good place is this forum, so don't cut yourself to ask anything.

Some diabetes associations have a good orientation to parents ... try to contact them.

Thank you all for your support I know that there are many people in my same situation that after a while sees things with more hope and clarity.The truth is that from my endo I do not get anything clear and they have not sent me to the educator, I have looked for my life, putting myself in contact with the association and reading a lot on the Internet and the forums.I have a question can you put a continuous measurement monitor to such a small child?Thanks again to everyone

shandra's profile photo
shandra
01/28/2009 3:40 p.m.

Hi Shandra, welcome to the club.I am also the mother of a diabetic girl.He will turn 11 and debuted with 5. We know perfectly because of what you are happening and I suppose that at this point you will have realized that this is a disease with which you can live together.They have already sent you to the thread of parents .... We hope to see you there.
Kisses

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/30/2009 3:37 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hi Sandra, I am another mother of a girl with diabetes.
He debuted with 19 months.Now he is 6 years old.

We have gone through the NPH + Humalog, the Levemir + Humalog and now for almost three years the insulin pump has been.

It is a better impressive change

You have to be encouraged.Think that this is a background and that we must not throw in the towel, because our children need us.

A kiss and here we are for what you want

macllaudi's profile photo
macllaudi
01/30/2009 5:32 a.m.

Hi Sandra, I am another mother of a girl with diabetes.
He debuted with 19 months.Now he is 6 years old.

We have gone through the NPH + Humalog, the Levemir + Humalog and now for almost three years the insulin pump has been.

It is a better impressive change

You have to be encouraged.Think that this is a background and that we must not throw in the towel, because our children need us.

A kiss and here we are for whatever you want

They put the bomb with only three years.Here in La Rioja say the doctors who do not put it in children.How did you spend it with the NPH because in my son it is a disaster.And of course it is the only one that they can put, they say.

shandra's profile photo
shandra
01/30/2009 6:05 a.m.

Shandra, the bomb can be put in very young children.Moreover, only the pump allows the insulin of 0.1 to 0.1 units, and that is important in children.
The problem is that there are endocrine cenutrios and autonomies tacañas.
It seems a lie that the communities that put the most to put bombs are precisely those of higher per capita income, such as Madris, Valencia, Catalonia, Basque Country or Rioja herself.And, meanwhile, the most generous are Extremadura, Andalusia or Asturias.
I think someone should take note.

Health and luck.

DiabetesForo
01/31/2009 10:57 a.m.

The first and more important is mood! And a lot of patience, do not despair. Use fast insulin?And with only slow action insulin you will not get those peaks ... you must put the slow one, feed it, and that of a little while putting a little quickly. The secret is to try. What a unit is insufficient? Well, put twoor three. And measure two hours after having injected it.
Anyway, consult the doctor, to see what advice they give you.

Greetings

alain90's profile photo
alain90
02/11/2009 1:28 p.m.

Hi Shandra:

I am the mother of a 3 -year -old girl (in addition to an 11 -month -old baby) who debuted now 3 months ago and I am fully identified with what you tell.

In my place of residence there is neither endocrine and pediatricians have very late knowledge about diabetes.Of course, we had an educator who made us open our eyes: the more we learned with her, the more we realized the lack of medical staff in T1 diabetes.

In the time my daughter was admitted we came to think that glycemia were acceptable as long as they were below 300!The problem was that my daughter went from 350 to 30 in an hour (does it sound like you?).Both the type of insulin, as the doses and rations of hydrates that supplied him in the hospital were wrong and there was no way to control it.They also told us that the bomb was not viable before the age of 18 !!

Fortunately, we were lucky to be able to take my daughter to be seen by Dr. Barrio, at the Ramón y Cajal hospital in Madrid.There they changed the treatment (Novorrapid before meals and less at night) and in 2 days he began to have normal glycemia.The security margins they have given us are between 80 and 180 and we are getting it in them, except when it gets sick, that everything gets out of control.But once it exceeds the Costipado or the flu on duty, it returns to normal.They also told us that if the girl responds well to multidosis treatment, she is a candidate for insulin bomb.

We have been fortunate to find a lot of support and adequate information (and training), which has made us change our vision of the disease.So, here you have me for what you need, if I can be useful.

Much encouragement and kisses for the little one.

Lanzarote's profile photo
Lanzarote
02/25/2009 7:56 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.