Insulin pump as a clock, is it sold?

fer's profile photo   05/06/2009 6:36 a.m.

Does anyone know if this technology has come to be marketed?

A novel insulin pump in the shape of a wrist clock and space technology

A student has used piezoelectric technology initially developed for European satellites to operate a novel insulin pump in the shape of a wristwatch designed for people with type 1 diabetes.

This insulin bomb, called «Cor», was designed by Nicole Schmiedel, industrial engineering student at the University of the Arts of Braunschweig (Germany).The prototype recently won one of the three awards for design and technology for students granted in this year's edition of the Material Commercial Fair, which was held in Munich (Germany).

Within the "Cor" there is a piezoelectric transducer that absorbs the energy of even the lighter movement of its user and makes it electricity, with which the pump works.

The transducer is based on the transducers created for space programs, where they are used for microPositioning and the damping of vibrations in the optical instruments of the satellites, such as those incorporated into the MIDAS instrument, aboard the Rosetta probe of the European Space Agency.

"The idea of ​​this insulin/bracelet clock pump occurred to me watching a movie where an eight -year -old diabetic girl was using an insulin pump, when I saw what I had to happen to administer the daily doses of insulin," he saidNicole Schmiedel.

Many diabetics that need numerous daily insulin injections to control their blood level of sugar use uncomfortable syringes.There are few who use insulin pumps or other more modern techniques.N. Schmiedel set out to design a system with which to improve the quality of life of diabetics and allow them to lead a life as normal as possible.

Its design has the appearance of a modern bracelet watch, but it is equipped with a pump that contains sufficient insulin for two or three weeks for type 1 diabetics. The pump connects to the user by a fine tube and a needle inserted under theskin, so that insulin is injected into the body continuously.In this way it replaces injections with conventional syringes.

"The COR looks like a clock, not a medical device," said N. Schmiedel.«When the pump is not working, the menu passes by clock mode and shows the time and date.It has even alarm. "

The technology of piezoelectric transducers is based on a physical phenomenon that has been known for a long time, but that was not investigated and did not become such a practical technology for space programs until the 1990s.

"If I was able to design the COR it is because the technology of piezoelectric transducers had already developed in space programs, I was already ready to take advantage of it," said N. Schmiedel."Now the next step is to find a company willing to manufacture the COR and market it."

N. Schmiedel presented this novel insulin pump/bracelet watch at the European Congress on this year's space technology transfer.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/06/2009 6:36 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

This would be the bomb: D, I would not have catheter problems and, if it were also automatic, we would no longer need.
But we are in other hands ..: x

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/24/2009 11:19 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Some "buts":

I fear that to carry the insulin necessary for two or three weeks, the clock should be cuckoo, by size.

What differentiates it from conventional pumps, for what I see, is the power supply (wrist movement instead of a stack) and the shape (clock instead of petaca), apart from the fact that it does not carry a tube, butconnect directly.Complicated to avoid getting out of the skin.

I find it suspicious that he came up with "watching a movie in which the girl wore a pump on her wrist" what the girl carried (if it was Jodie Foster's movie) was not a bomb, but a glucometer.

I have seen the photo on Google, and it looks like a bracelet.I can't think of where the demons put insulin, and less for 2 or 3 weeks.

Anyway, well, they investigate, the more the better.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/24/2009 1:19 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello if you can do an eye to this.

Its price is 1000e approx and the consumable of the monthly patches are 300e

There a company in Zaragoza that will market it in the next days in Spain.

I hope it helps you.If you need more information about the company or the company do not hesitate to contact me.

<!

I attach the presentation in PDF in Spanish

DiabetesForo
03/25/2010 10:29 a.m.

Hello, if you can take an eye to this.

Its price is 1000e approx and the consumable of the monthly patches are 300e

There a company in Zaragoza that will market it in the next days in Spain.

I hope it helps you.If you need more information about the company or the company do not hesitate to contact me.

Are we crazy or what?!€ 300 per month in insulin?!

The device looks very good and the truth, for € 1000 or even for € 2000 would be able to buy it.But that every month I have to spend € 300 in recharges, we go for Diós, being diabetic does not mean having the large and always full portfolio.If they could still get with recipes and have to spend € 20 or 50 (with a recipe) ... I would also be willing to acquire it ... but I fear that this is very difficult right now.

That Arto is to take advantage of this disease.

jorge's profile photo
jorge
04/20/2010 3:45 p.m.

JODER do business with us

gaditano93's profile photo
gaditano93
05/26/2010 10:06 p.m.

They try, Cadiz.
Welcome to the club

DiabetesForo
05/27/2010 11:19 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.