If something has to fail, it fails

Velia's profile photo   08/07/2009 5:59 a.m.

We went to the north this vacation, we were in Zarauz for a few days, the glycemia were based good, but the 3rd.We had something that until now had never happened to us, when going to remove the cap that protects the catheter it could not move, supposedly because it would have some sand (possibly when putting it, since this operation was done on the beach),We forced so much trying to solve it that the cannula had to rotate and the damn blood in it led to having to change the catheter (we solved the theme leaving the pump in the hotel and putting and removing the protective cap in it).Here the glycems began not to be so fine.The next day we moved to Hendaya, there we would be as many days.Despite surfing, the shovel games, the minigolf, the walks, etc., the glycemia were always around 200, and the amount of insulin had doubled, it was clear that something failed.As of the 2nd day the catheter again to see if we improved, our surprise arose when putting the cable, when the error occurs there is no infusion, after ruling out that it was for the pump, we had to open a new catheter to get a new cable(This error had not come out in all these years of bomber).We had used 3 catheters in just 5 days.When dinner, he told me that he was high and how good, a tremendous hi in his glu co indicates that again the catheter must have failed, indeed, to remove it the cannula was at right angle preventing the entry of insulin.We treat the hyper with a pen and put another catheter (already go 5), but as the title of the subject says, if something has to fail, fails ... and failed.When I measure another new hi in the gluco, I swear I was desperate.I try with pen and insulin to lower the hyper, resisting changing the cathéter again, but I had lifted every 1/2 hour and at 3 I decided, fortunately, change it again and surprise!, Again the cannula at a right angle ....Diosss, what despair .... They are already 6, we have 2, only 2 catheters and I had taken a cargo for more than 1 month, telling that Angela changes it every 4 and a half days ... Anyway, heI put the catheter and its glycems were bad all the rest of the vacation, it was difficult for him to get off 190, in short, a disaster .... Thus we arrived in Cáceres, we immediately changed the catheter and what was our surprise, another error of no infusion, another obstructed cable .... We have ruled out that box and we will send it to Medtronic because something tells us that this box of consumables was not well ... fortunately, it was to change the catheter and return again to its glycemia and the quantitiesof normal insulin in it .... you see, surreal .... If you are going to leave home, please take very spare infusion equipment, you never know what can happen.
Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
08/07/2009 5:59 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Ufff ..... Incredible, it is not normal that has happened to you, that a catheter fails because yes, I suppose that it has happened to us but that so many followed, having if in Medtronic they clarify something.Whenever I go out a few days I take a cargo just in case and after this with more reason, you never know ...... Mrgreen:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/07/2009 6:37 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello good.

Velia, you don't know how I have remembered you and what happened to you.

Celia has been with high glycemias for three days.She blamed him for the rule, but they were too high for that.And now he is not doing bureate, so we start correcting, changing catheter and nothing.Everything was still fatal.
After the third catheter change, and several errors of "There is no infusion," I called Medtronic last night and told them what was happening.We had changed the catheters, reservoir, battery, the insulin was of a new box, in short ...
Total, that the pump worked correctly when it was not connected, then the problem was in the catheters (possibly in the cannulas).Medtronic's, after telling him what was happening, told me that "he came up" that the catheter box could be bad, although he doubted it because he was quite unusual, but when putting a catheter of a different box, from another shipment, he normalizedall.

I'm afraid there is a defective spiker, or that is the conclusion that I take.In case it serves you, the reference is MMT-397 and the lot 2208835, with expiration in 2012-02.I would like to know if it is the same lot that failed you.

Last night Celia collapsed.After so much change and being wrong without any guilt, he collapsed and crying told me what was happening, that when he did things well they also had to go wrong, and that he was fed up that people did not understand that she was about herPricing cared a pepper.That what really hump it was not to be able to go to the beach and throw himself into the water without thinking, as his friends did, but to have to be pending all day of the "fucking protocol" (textual words) of now wipe yourself, now removes the bombAnd put it on a safe place, and put on a bolus, and put on the bomb again, and if you want a sandwiched again and calculate, and put the bolus, and you cannot go to sleep out because you are not stable and the last time thatThey left you the Tantarantán ...

That all the time he walked by the beast was because he was even his noses and wanted to live as if it were not diabetic, and that he knew that would hurt him, but he did not care ...

Anyway, we took a long night walk with the dog as he vented and released all the rage.
At dawn he had a downturn.He has risen calmer.

A hug

DiabetesForo
08/15/2009 10:57 a.m.

Hello family, we are here ......
Well, something happened to us too ....... the first day we change the catheter we spend 3 in a row !!!I was already hysterical because I had never happened to me and although I had taken a lot of material I thought that as they were every day they did not even come to me.Our problem was that when firing the puncture device, the catheter was stuck inside, I was hallucinated, thankfully the spare one carried out and as soon as the catheter changed, I enter without problems.It is known that the one who had taken was the new one and owed a little smaller because another explanation I do not find him, or that, or much chance.
Alea, what reason is Celia, is too "protocol" I hope that relief has come well to take energies again.

Beky's profile photo
Beky
08/16/2009 7:04 a.m.

Very good !!!!
How hard it seems to me summer for diabetics and family.I understand so well that Celia gets angry ala .... I'm too.This is exhausting.In the pool put, remove, remove, put, the silly one to also be in the clouds .... that if the stick is taken off, that if the stick is touched with the edge of the pool ... and to tell you about the effortQque supposes me that eats a damn HC ration.: Oops:
I think we are all going to hear at some point in our children what Celia says.And what to say ...
Beky, a month ago we had a problem with a catheter insert that sounds like.The sticker stuck to the wall began to stay at a point when we fired it.It seemed as if the insert had shrunk.After talking with Medtronic we discovered that what was happening was that little by little, by the friction, it is adherent of the sticker on the walls of the inserter and that if you clean it every 2-3 times with alcohol the walls rubbing well, you avoid youThat you stick.
INETITING WHAT YOU TAKE OF THE CATETRES.I will always take a trip of different boxes.Thanks for counting it.
Many greetings to Velia, Juan Luis and Angela.We were very comfortable with you from Café-Tertulia and came from pearls.We have not yet thrown ourselves to the square bowling but it will not be because we do not see the need clear.
Kisses

santesteban's profile photo
santesteban
08/16/2009 6:41 p.m.

Very good !!!!
How hard it seems to me summer for diabetics and family.I understand so well that Celia gets angry ala .... I'm too.This is exhausting.In the pool put, remove, remove, put, the silly one to also be in the clouds .... that if the stick is taken off, that if the stick is touched with the edge of the pool ... and to tell you about the effortQque supposes me that eats a damn HC ration.: Oops:
I think we are all going to hear at some point in our children what Celia says.And what to say ...
Beky, a month ago we had a problem with a catheter insert that sounds like.The sticker stuck to the wall began to stay at a point when we fired it.It seemed as if the insert had shrunk.After talking with Medtronic we discovered that what was happening was that little by little, by the friction, it is adherent of the sticker on the walls of the inserter and that if you clean it every 2-3 times with alcohol the walls rubbing well, you avoid youThat you stick.
INETITING WHAT YOU TAKE OF THE CATETRES.I will always take a trip of different boxes.Thanks for counting it.
Many greetings to Velia, Juan Luis and Angela.We were very comfortable with you from Café-Tertulia and came from pearls.We have not yet thrown ourselves to the square bowling but it will not be because we do not see the need clear.
Kisses

santesteban's profile photo
santesteban
08/16/2009 6:42 p.m.

Yes, I also understand Celia, if we rebel adults how children and adolescents are not going to do, nobody told us that this was easy and sometimes the load is very heavy, but ........ it isWhat there are:-/ And we have few options right? ......
Alea I hope Celia is already better and that the relief has served him ..... it is good to release everything and it is difficult to find someone who understands us, only another person who goes through the same .....
As for the catheters, I have not had any problem at the moment but it is fine to know just in case ...

DiabetesForo
08/17/2009 3:26 a.m.

Yes, Prado, the relief came well, auqnue now touches him a trancazo and some fever, so again the glycemia in breaking ranks: x

Santesteban, that is.We will have to put together patience, we have no choice.

Health to all

DiabetesForo
08/17/2009 11:26 a.m.

The protocol
Normally, one of the things we value most when we lose it is freedom.
Having diabetes is not normal, nor do we make a life like those of others ... we live clinging to a transparent substance, some sugar, a few hours, to a glucometer, to survival rules, to quarterly visits, countingHC ...

All this assumes it because you have no choice ... But the emotions that arise from diabetes are not programmed and do not teach us to handle them ...
Much less for feelings, that little by little they carry negative emotions ....

Fortunately there is usually someone, there is always someone, who understands emotions and feelings ... even those caused by diabetes.

My key is to get closer and get away, accept that sometimes I am wrong and sometimes I will be fine, I approach despair and I moved away, I approach joy and move away ... it is impossible to stay in the same state.

The beginning is the protocol and the end the feeling ... what merit realize and shout it.

DiabetesForo
08/17/2009 1:42 p.m.

I did not spend anything "weird" with the bomb on vacation, but at home I had spent several times, that the sticker was caught in the prick and the cannula did not enter well ... one day I changed me 3 in a row because IThe same happened with the first 2.It is true that I have never cleaned the prick with alcohol ... I blamed it for the sticker to come larger and be stuck to the sides of the puncture ... or or that the prick did not work well.
And as I understand Celia with the theme of the beach or the pool, well with the beach worse ... for the sand, which sneaks very easily anywhere ... measures, eats, remove bomb, put bolus, measures, measures,Put ... come on that I complained in another thread of the same ... that seems to me to use a bomb when you are on vacation on the beach or pool, because I do not know if it happens to you, but I even goWith a new catheter, I bathe in the pool a couple of times, and when I connect the pump no longer screw the catheter ... and that sometimes makes you force and even as I pass to Velia to dislodge the cannula ...
I will also load cateters on the next trip, so it can happen.
I think that next year I will think of using bolis on vacation, at least day.

To me the courier of no infusion has come out 2 or 3 times in all the time that I have been with the pump, but it has been solved alone, because it has been when putting a bolus, frame what I have left to put and well, noI have ever had to change the catheter for that, if it has matched me the same with being sitting and having the cateter oppressed by the pants waist ... we have to be aware of so many things, which is logical that occasionallyLet's download our fury ... to continue liabing with our "friend."

anuski's profile photo
anuski
08/21/2009 8:10 a.m.

Good .... I have read you, the truth is that I am not surprised by the helplessness and tantrum of Celia ... I get a disgust when these things happen to us ... Alea, Angela's box is the mmt-399 Lot 228859 dated 2012-02 .... We will talk to Medtronic because between vacations and others we have not done it, although I suppose they will not tell us anything new ...
Santesteban, a pleasure for us also sharing the afternoon with your family.Greet your husband and a little kiss to the little one ... how I understand you, it is exhausting to live this, and as Juanlu says the fatigue is cumulative, although it is also true that as the child becomes more autonomous, the father is released aLittle ... but summer is especially hard, many changes in routines (with how good the routines are for our diabetics), different schedules, heat, bathroom, exercise, eat outside, uffff, manyParameters to take into account suddenly ... I come from the campsite, because of the external nothing has failed, and that, go if it shows.
Greetings.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
08/24/2009 7:41 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.