Lantus and depression.

notmy's profile photo   05/19/2012 3:32 p.m.

Hello, since I use Lantus I notice that my mood is getting lower, I feel worse and I have less desire to do things.I have come down in the studies and usually I usually worry extremely for many things, when before my mood I was always optimistic and happy.It only occurs when Lantus uses, if I use a few days later those depressive feelings disappear, but I do not like using the latter because I have to prick it in 2 times and I need more units, so that it takes away freedom, in addition to making me havethan to be much stricter at the schedules.

Does anyone else happen to someone?Is there more '' brands '' or basal insulin types to continue testing?

notmy's profile photo
notmy
05/19/2012 3:32 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Notmy

I do not like being a repeat offender, I was very changing the use of Lantus both physically and psychologically.
On a physical level, it was a weight gain, I packed it up to the Lantus, but I returned to the Levemir and did not lower the kg, I think it was about improving the hem quite.

Another change that I noticed was my levels of anxiety, which increased significantly.

TB The symptoms of hypoglycemia were different, not so clear and defined ...

The good thing about this basal (Lantus) is that you care for a little more schedules when I need only a puncture.

Now I am waiting for the bomb, but since I have 2 boxes in Lantus I had planned to use it during the summer to be freer with respect to the schedules, in fact I told the endocrine and told me that there was no problem.

Tell me more changes that you have noticed and if you can make probatines with the basal if it is clear, that some that are with a bomb do not remember when they were like us with the basal-stroke therapy of multiple injections;)

romevila's profile photo
romevila
05/19/2012 4:53 p.m.

Bomba Accu Check Insight de Roche con Novorapid.
Usuaria de bomba desde 2011 ( lleve la Combo hasta el año pasado).

One of the worst characteristics is that I always look bad physically.I can be very thin but I always look fat and ugly.
The always tired view, and desire to sleep - although then you lie down and do not reconcile the dream - very often.
Moments of euphoria and moments of depression.-Bipolarity?-.
Greater accumulation of abdominal fat.
Sleep worse ... as if the dream were less repaire.

And positive changes:
- Greater freedom of schedules, a single prick.
- Free diet.
- It affects me less if any weekend I drink alcohol.

And yes, the lantus causes exaggerated weight gain in many cases, and that weight is then very difficult to lose even if you change insulin and all the roll.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
05/19/2012 5:04 p.m.

For me it is a vicious circle.Have to choose between health or happiness.In an English forum I found hundreds of messages from own experiences that related lantus and depression ... some ended up with life-ups for life.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
05/19/2012 5:17 p.m.

Notmy, I have sent you a private.

romevila's profile photo
romevila
05/19/2012 5:59 p.m.

Bomba Accu Check Insight de Roche con Novorapid.
Usuaria de bomba desde 2011 ( lleve la Combo hasta el año pasado).

Answered.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
05/19/2012 6:06 p.m.

Lantus affects IMAO (monoamineoxidase inhibitors) and fluoxetine (prozac).In the prospect, this fact is noticed in the hypoglycemia section.
High or low values ​​of the monoamineoxidase enzyme could favor depression -related disorders.
So some relationship must be, even if it is small.
Exactly the same happens with Levemir.

Not even in a small number of cases with depressive symptomatology would be explained exclusively by this pharmacological relationship.
It would be simplify, almost to the absurd, 2 very complex diseases such as diabetes and depression.

Let's differentiate between "being depre" and having depression.
We all have epochy times and gusts ... But depression is something very serious, which reaches disabling levels for the normal functioning of a person.

It is shown that patients with type 1 diabetes have a greater risk of depression than the population without diabetes.
It is also shown that depressive symptoms are more evident and affect more the more complications there is or the worst metabolic control (without complications) or with a low adhesion to treatment (few self -analysis, lack of exercise, zero calculation of rations).
As notmy explains very well, it is a vicious circle: you get depressed, you control less diabetes and still enter a worse circle ...

It is described that hypoglycemia "help" the mood to be lower ... so I imagine, and logically, a time with recurring or daily hypoglycemia would have directly impact.

I wrote this some years ago:
The particular characteristics of diabetes: chronicity and daily responsibility (with routine effects or relaxation on care), active role in self -care, incurability, genetic conditioning, absence of immediate negative consequences and silent course, risk of complications, annoying practices (self -analysis and injections) and constant social invitations to the breakdown of the treatment are responsible for the psychological readjustment that the patient and their socio -family environment must perform.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/20/2012 3:24 a.m.

Living with this disease is not easy, it produces physical and emotional wear and many times we have to deal with the unknown and the misunderstanding of others.I have been reading the Lantus prospect and says nothing of depression as a side effect.I carry it using about 10 years and so far it has done well.Yes, it is true that I notice a little sadness when I have hypoglycemia, but immediately that I go back everything returns to normal.

In any case I always try to see the glass half full: I have no complications, I can lead a decent life and be with mine, work normally and cope with it as well as possible.

In short: not worry but take care.

Figaro_enf's profile photo
Figaro_enf
05/29/2012 1:44 p.m.

I think that trista, anxiety, depression, is not for Lantus, but for everything a bit in general as much as we want
Or in my case I would like, we do not have the livertad that any non -diabetic person has, and it is not, for not being able to eat sweets, ice cream..etc
As any friend or my family thinks, it is for 24 hours a day making accounts of the hydrates, puncturing, looking glycemia, when there is hyper, hiccups
Run, sport almost by obligation, uf, and day by day ... there comes a time ... that of course you get tired, and more if the blood glucose doing everything well does not get it to go down or shock you take a disagreementof noses and good to start over and that is life, of a diabetic@ not very well controlled, those who are well will not have many problems but those of us who are in the process of improve, to put my case, today I was all excited
My educator "today would give me my calculator to speak here so much" and yes, take it home but without any fact that I bone for nothing until the month that Beniene but that is another story "and another disagreement.

aurora2's profile photo
aurora2
05/29/2012 6:39 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.