What do I say?

DiabetesForo's profile photo   05/25/2012 2:53 p.m.

They just told me that the daughter of some acquaintances has just debuted with 3 years.The baby is very small to realize what is happening and is "enjoying" in the hospital but the parents are destroyed.At the moment, what are the phrases, data, experiences that have helped you the most?If hard is that you diagnose you, I imagine that the news has to fall like a bomb when your child is about.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/25/2012 2:53 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

My daughter debuted with 5 years and was a tremendous blow to my husband and for me.It was still worse for the doctor who informed us and the hard words he told us, not even knowing what control we were going to be able to get.I believe that at that time the most important thing is to give tranquility to parents, who have to take care of treatment, give them hope of future and confidence in control.And advise them to measure the child a lot to be able to take the reins of the treatment.They will also be good to enter a forum and read positive experiences of people who started children and have no complications.
Kisses

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/25/2012 3:18 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

On the one hand, give them information but not overwhelm them too much.
Do not create false expectations (healing, stem cells, ...) but neither does nothing happen to them, it is obvious that it happens.

They are going to have to work more for their son than they did now ... but if the parents have, it is usually motivation, so most children go ahead without big problems.

It is always useful to see others in your same situation.
In the neonate units, they invite parents to return with their children already grown (1 or 2 years) after having gone through the experience of seeing them in incubators, they coincide in the rooms with the parents who have their children inThat moment in incubators and a more positive climate is created.
In diabetes they should do the same.
Expert patient what they call ... or eliminate the white coat effect: it is not the same to speak and receive information from the health personnel as since the patients themselves, who have gone through that same situation.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/26/2012 3:28 a.m.

I debut with 3 years and I remember each day in the hospital ... you can tell you that taking care and accepting diabetes you can make a normal life.
That although it is never cured, a moment of acceptance is reached and a normal life is made :)

tica's profile photo
tica
05/26/2012 5:21 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

My son debuted with three years, now it becomes so far away, and it is not because he is doing many years, the diabetes routine has been installed in our lives and ends up mitigating the painful moments of the debut.I would tell them that it is fine to cry and feel shattered, but that they learn, little by little, to take the reins of the child's control that will help them not feel so lost.And yes we have all felt like this, it is shit, there is no other word, but with patience and time, everything will return to "normality", the child can do exactly the same as the other children.Knowing other parents with young children, helps a lot, in our hospital there is not properly the figure of the expert patient, but the Diabetological Education nurse always worries that parents and children are known.Of course, I would be careful when deciding who makes an expert patient, the reactions of parents-madres are the most diverse, there are those who minimize the disease, there are those who do not want any contact with other parents or children with diabetes with diabetes with diabetes withDiabetic Association Analogies = Gueto, others that develop a bestial dependence of the "expert", some that remain anchored for the remains in self -pity.Owash that is a psychologist can tell us more property, but I think we have to give weapons so that they can control for themselves the diabetes do not make 24 -hour assistance phone and make the decisions for them, it is not about not helping, I hope what I want to say is understood.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
05/26/2012 6:25 a.m.

To me the phrase that struck me most was "your child must be the most run in schools", the ignorance of the disease and the fear of hypoglycemia if it moved (in the hospital soon that I ran down the hallwayI put in 30), they made me think that Angela could not be a normal girl ... For me it was very important information, knowing how insulin worked, the hours of action, the things that affect glycemia ... soAs soon as you can recommend the forum.When you check that you are not alone in this, you feel something more relieved.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/26/2012 7:14 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.