{'en': 'Hide diabetes, has it happened to you?', 'es': 'Ocultar la diabetes, os ha pasado??'} Image

Hide diabetes, has it happened to you?

fer's profile photo   10/22/2009 6:37 a.m.

This news has made me reflect ..., has it happened to you? Having to hide diabetes for some reason?

One in ten children with diabetes hides the teacher his disease

One in ten children between six and sixteen who suffers from diabetes hides his illness to the teacher, despite the importance of the teacher in the care of these children, who spend more than a third of their daily time, according to data, according to dataof the Diabetes Foundation.

Child diabetes is characterized by a lack of insulin production, a hormone necessary to live that affects the normal functions of the organism and causes an increase in blood glucose, as explained today by the doctor of the Pediatric Endocrinology Service of the HospitalSevero Ochoa de Madrid, Beatriz García.

In Spain, diabetes affects 1.6 children under fourteen per thousand - about 30,000 children throughout the country - and every year there are about 1,100 new cases, an incidence that is increasing progressively and has begun to affect withMore frequency to younger children.

"In recent years the most important peak of incidence of this disease has moved from 8 or 10 years to children between five or eight years," Garcia added.

One of the employers of the Diabetes Foundation, Rafael Arana, has assured that "the important thing is that children are autonomous, who lead a normal life and take responsibility for themselves, but all that effort is useless if in the environmentSchool there is no understanding of the disease. "

12 percent of children between 6 and 16 years say they had some kind of school problem due to the disease, of them more than half refers to classmates, 44 percent to teachers and 18 percent toThe school management.

For this reason, one in ten children hides their disease to the teacher and that percentage increases to fifteen percent in the case of physical education teachers.

"The common denominator of all the circumstances in which children are the lack of information," said the president of the Association of Diabetics of Alava and father of a girl with this disease, Andoni Lorenzo.

New technologies and in particular the continuous insulin infusion systems have meant a huge improvement in the quality of life of patients, since it not only reduces the number of punctures, but also greater freedom with food and exercise, with exercise,But ignorance in the school environment remains a problem.

Lorenzo has lamented that "the absence of law that guarantees the care of these children at school - which only exists in the Basque Country and in the Balearic Islands - leaves the defenseless father and sometimes forced to leave school and look for another."

The "Carol project has diabetes", which the Diabetes Foundation has presented today, aims to alleviate this lack of information and sensitize teachers and child classmates with type 1 diabetes.

The psychologist Iñaki Lorente has pointed out that "in most teachers there is an absolute predisposition to collaborate in the care of diabetic children" but cannot cover all the specifications of each child and "need strictly necessary technical information and basic knowledge and basic knowledgeadequate ".

The project includes an animation short film that has been recorded in Spanish and English to bring the disease closer to children, and didactic materials adapted to the ages of the different school courses available in all autonomous languages.

The material, which has the support of the Spanish Pediatric Endocrinology Society, includes work sheets that can be used in the usual primary education subjects thatThey explain what the disease is and how the daily routines of a child with diabetes and highlight the attitudes and values ​​that can prevent discrimination situations.

Materials will be distributed through hospitals, education and health councils and other public bodies, as well as in patient and parents associations and will be available on the website of the Diabetes Foundation.

fer's profile photo
fer
10/22/2009 6:37 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Unfortunately, and according to my experience, this happens very frequently.
My daughter is still 4 years old and it is now when you are beginning to account for your diabetes, what it entails, of its limitations, but of what does not let you realize is the number of problems that the school puts, the professors and management body of the school in this regard.They did not let their classmates explain their illness, we cannot do the controls in class, always hidden, it was excluded "in writing" from any excursion because the teachers cannot "take responsibility" for it ... and an endlessof more things.
The discrimination of children with diabetes exists and is a fact.I hope I change someday, but for now it is a daily struggle.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/22/2009 8:31 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What I do not understand about the news is the age range ...If not the parents, who are the ones who have the maximum responsibility for the children, no ???? ...son...
Starting from there, here is everything in apothecary .... We have never had any problems in the school of Angela.It is a small school, all teachers know the problem of Angela and other children who are or who have passed through the center with the same disease, and have facilitated things so that she comes out of class when she estimates it appropriate to make herGlycemia, eat, call or whatever ... I can assure that my daughter does not feel any discrimination between her classmates and teachers (not so much among some parents who have not had much tact in some situations, but that is anotherissue).

Velia's profile photo
Velia
10/23/2009 5:44 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Totally agree with Velia.
Too often the concealment comes for parents, for a false modesty or for fear of contempt.

We always said, in school, in the institute, to his friends, ours ... It is the best way that there are no misunderstandings.

Health

DiabetesForo
10/23/2009 11:51 a.m.

As you say, up to 13-14 years the concealment belongs to parents ... children see it as something relatively normal past the first moment of curiosity and ignorance.
There is no logical reason that makes parents do that, no matter how much the facilities and help shine for their absence.

Something that should be changed is the information, it cannot be that it has to be the parents themselves who "teach" the care guidelines of their child to the teachers ... I know some experience in which the educator nurse is in charge ofDoing this task and the results are very good, much greater tranquility for teachers, they have 1 referential reference to which they can consult ... Let's say they see parents as parents and not as useful information transmitters (which makes quality losingand amount of information).

On the other hand, I see that obvious the Law of the Valencian Community that forces to facilitate chronic pediatric patients with health care that allows them to follow their educational process in a normal way.
Logic that obvies it, just anything has been done, beyond assigning schools to the nearest health center (as if in health centers they were no longer saturated in themselves).

DiabetesForo
10/23/2009 4:35 p.m.

I believe that sometimes more than hiding it, what we do is simply not to say so not to be giving explanations.

As a child, in my school, in the institute, the porfesters, my colleagues, and all good.

The problem, now at university, at work, etc ..., is that I do not say it, more than anything because they begin to ask and ask and ask ... and it is to tell 1000 times the same.If they ask me or see me, I do a control or something ... Well, I don't hide anything, but I'm not telling all the stios that I go ...

That is my case.

DiabetesForo
02/11/2010 10:16 p.m.

I agree.It is more the heaviness of always telling the same as ocuting the disease.And what are there days that you do not feel like giving explanations and explaining everything.

I work with many people, and I don't feel like telling the same story 1000 times.I usually comment when the subject comes out in a conversation, or I notice that I am low.

lola's profile photo
lola
02/12/2010 5:37 a.m.

It seems to me at least shocking news.I find it hard to believe that there are parents who do not inform in the school of what it means to have diabetes and send the child to manage alone, but there are ... there are ...
I love the phrase "The assistance in Pais Basque y Baleares" hahaha!I laugh at not crying, for not shouting of rage, I live in the Balearic Islands, and that agreement that was aired and advertised as a great achievement is shit, it is still the same as you have commented on the Valencian Community, they assign theCole to a health center, and supposedly a nurse has to move to serve the child, in practice, it does not even God, every day at 10 in the morning I move to school and put the insulin to the insulinMy son, and I am very lucky with the school, I have nothing but to thank them for how well they behave with us, they do not even send a support teacher, because he has no recognized disability, the teacher has to deal with measuring it, ofSolving the hypos, of attending the alarms (my son carries a continuous glucose meter), all I do is put the insulin because it already seems to me the height that the teacher also has to decide that Bolus has to put my son, but you know that they told me in the association and the sow of the nurse that the teacher had done a course was trained, oh ... I do not follow because it seems incredible, that these two entities the Association of Diabetics, the Department that so much them so much themTaste everyone to take the picture, they are useless.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
02/12/2010 1 p.m.

Hello, I have 1 7 -year -old girl and with diabetes for almost 3, I always try the most normal theme, we speak it openly, if I have to do 1 glycemia I do it where we are, insulin the same, she isAs it does, we are still in the pool and decide to put it there as suddenly tells me no, we better go to the bathroom.When we are in school and I'm going to control your friends, you don't want to go to service, although one day you say it doesn't matter ... when I put the insulin you don't stop looking around and ifHe sees someone approaches me to come.She takes her gluco to school in case any hypoglycemia is noticeable and many of the times when the symptoms are noticeable, the control is not made and the sugar is taken, sometimes it is wrong, sometimes it is right, the sugar has come to get even withpaper so they don't see him take it.
I speak to him and tell him that he does nothing wrong, that people are not going to tell him anything, that if they look it is because they do not know what it is, that he explains it naturally and already this, but I imagine that she needs her time,Just as almost 1 year ago she is injected alone, she will know when she is prepared to take him more natural, although I tell you that the day she gives her happens ...

lucinere's profile photo
lucinere
06/22/2010 6 p.m.

Children can be very cruel to what they do not understand, but they are also the ones who learn more quickly and assume as natural any peculiarity of another child.
My daughter, when she debuted with 8 years, came to class for the first time as a diabetic and the classmates hallucinated to see her puncture her finger or insulin.For a child, few things are more scary than an injection.When they saw that Celia was injected alone, they first were surprised, then they admired her and, finally, they got used to it and stopped seeing it as something strange.For them, what Celia did was as normal as the one used by an inhaler part of the allergy or glasses to read.
I believe that, against discrimination, the best method is naturalness and information.
Health

DiabetesForo
06/23/2010 8:45 a.m.

The same thing happened to me at that age, I remember eating the sugar in class without chewing, so that the teacher did not realize, he should be misunderstood in his mouth.I did not by shame to my classmates but for which the teachers mounted.The few times they "caught me" ended up calling my mother and often scare that they gave the poor.The same has had some bad experience and have exaggerated more than people who do not know diabetes should.Talk to school and give him time to get used to it.There comes a time that you assume, and that does not care what people think.Once at a concert, I had to put the insulin and left the public a little, (I did not go to the toilets because I could take everything, but nothing good) and click on the ball and came a police couple andHe told me that I couldn't prick and told them, "Man who is insulin!"And his answer was that he did the same was insulin or heroine but that he could not prick ... what you have to see ... and hear !!!(Some friends accompanied me and we ended up laughing, and with the insulin on)

tica's profile photo
tica
06/23/2010 4:19 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

My daughter when I debuted did the same to do in control anywhere, it was smaller, the following year when I went to the third of children I was without working and I was going to do the glycemia at lunch time and it was ashamedHiding in the desk, we went to the pool and as it gave him, he wanted the same to do it there in the grass as not, if we go on birthdays, there are times that he does it in front of the 15 children as other times not, inClass now I know that when it is done it is without anyone realizing it, although there are times that you have done it in front of 2 or 3 friends and the sugar always when they do not realize, it has touched that at 3 when you return to schoolAfter eating he was with hypoglycemia and as there were children in the row next to her, her sugar has not been taken until she has seen that they move away from her.I do not know if it will be the age that begins to have more complex or sense of ridicule or I do not know what to call it .... What is true that children although we say that they catch everything on the flight do not know to what extent it is true,My daughter has been seen to get 3 years of course and today when they see me, they still ask me what is done?SO THAT?And I always the same nothing, is the control that Lucia always does before snacking, does not harm him, is a punchacic and already this, do you see?An gothic ... etc etc, always the same, I with all naturalness, as if explaining what your sandwich bears ... so it depends on each person, just like my daughter is very responsible, she recognizes the hypos, she knowsInterpret the figures, coimpretnde that meals are healthy and which are not, she is injected alone, because it costs her to "pass" the looks and opinions of the people, everything will be done, I certainly will be here to help him ...

lucinere's profile photo
lucinere
06/24/2010 9:59 a.m.

Hello chic@s!
I have arrived new to the forum! But I have diabetics since November 2008! I am 14 years old and I from 1 day I told my friends, friends, teachers and everyone my problem explained what they had to do if I gave me a low and everythingThe Rollete. And without any problem !!
1 kiss !!!

palometa's profile photo
palometa
07/26/2010 7:11 p.m.

Hi, Palometa.

That is an intelligent attitude.Keep it up and don't let anyone try to crush with nonsense.

Welcome home

DiabetesForo
07/27/2010 12:58 p.m.

I have never hidden my illness, I have it from 5 years old and it has never given me ashamed or say or click in public, but of course what bothers me is that when I am going to do a control there are always the typical novelos on duty looking at andLooking how you do control and putting rare faces ... that is something annoying, I don't even be ashamed to show my bomb at least for now.What is true that in the center where I am going to make a medium grade cycle, I did not say that it was diabetic because then it seems that they discriminate and when doing practices and everything conditions you, I also had to keep a medíco report andAs I still didn't prefer to wait.But the truth is that there is still discrimination, I know because it happened to more people, and that we can lead a completely normal life, such as the one with another disease, you just have to take care of yourself a bit ...

DiabetesForo
08/30/2010 8:15 p.m.

Bufff !!What a topic this!I say it from experience, because depending on the initial approach to, or rather that your parents give it if you are a child or adolescent, the rest of your life will depend and the isolated or not, that you feel.And for you to understand it, I tell you ...

With 13 years at school, there was a girl who was my best friend by far.The day my parents took me to the doctor to see what happened to me and without a doubt I was diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, that day at night my friend called me home worried and to ask me what the doctor had told me.I told her what there was, and while talking to her my mother was listening to me.When I hung the phone my mother threw me a great anger telling me things like: "But what have you done?He assured you that I flipped, and I cannot imagine the inner unease so big that I felt.

A few days after my diagnosis, I got up one night at dawn to the bathroom and although he didn't see me, I saw him.It was my father, alone, in the living room, crying to mucus.Except that night, never in my life I saw my father cry.Another flipe, another huge unease inside .....

Every time my mother talked to my aunts or some other relative of my illness, the only words that came out through her mouth were: what misfortune that has fallen on us.

As you can understand, these details and many others that because I do not roll up, they were continuously conditioning me in order to create a huge complex for being diabetic.And also for many years I have had a great resentment towards my parents, because they have never bothered to inform themselves and learn everything possible from diabetes, they have only worried about regretting at all hours.

Today I never shed or look at glycemia in public.Although I have overcome my complex in a high percentage (with help, everything must be said) I still have it.And to this my bad milk joins to have to give explanations to those who see you do it.I only shed in front of very close and very confidence people who are not going to ask me absurd questions.And at work I act in the same way.There are a couple of people of great confidence, who know what happens to me and what should be done if I have a very strong hypoglycemia but nothing more, the rest know something but not much.

I hope this little part of my experience, to whom you are parents, has served you to see what no must be done when you have a diabetic son.

Greetings to all

piguma's profile photo
piguma
08/31/2010 6:07 a.m.

The truth is that it is something to hide or sing it at 4 winds.We are in parts, at school we must inform that they have a student with diabetes, and that you need controls.As well as that it can have drops or ups.And what to do in each case.And with colleagues more friends or closer the same.In my case, my mother always, in all the schools that enrolled me have explained the "problem" and there has been no problem.What I do say to those who are parents, that your child in depending on what moments or depending on who is in front or close can bother them or not to see them clicking (I say it from experience).Of course, when there were colonies, coexistence (of more than a day away from home) I never went.Until I had about 12-13 or 14 years (now I don't remember) that I was already more conscious and responsible.The teachers said that they already had enough to be aware of the rest of the students as well as that in addition, having to be aware of me ...
And now, I don't tell everyone that I have sugar ... maybe I am with a group of people and some do not know, they end up being found out why they see me by clicking on me and the usual, ask some question,They look at you with a rare or admiration face and I naturally explain that it is not a burden, as they believe, or that it is not so horribly bad ... I tell them to look at me from the feet to the head and that they themselvesLook conclusions ...;) And if I am in a restaurant, beach, guagua, in the Super or wherever, if I have to prick it, and who I do not like it does not look!

And as Piguma says, that no father must stop informing himself, to be interested in his child and with what he has to live.Much less feel guilty (in the hospital I have known parents blaming themselves).I know that it is hard because I have seen my mother "suffer" in the debut of my diabetes, but once the environment begins, the issues of food, rations, insulin and others are bread ate.

The important thing is that those who work with you side by side or with whom you spend more time know.And in school, institute, university, gym, pool etc., they also know, because you never know who can be by your side if it gives you a fat downturn ...: P

Nita_Wave's profile photo
Nita_Wave
08/31/2010 12:30 p.m.

It is true, at school they never let me go with them on a trip because the teachers said they were not responsible ... also in another school for being diabetic they did not admit me, but my mother threatened to report them and then they gave me a place.All the children looked at me as the poor thing in the next school that I was because unfortunately he carried the diabetes so bad that I was always decompensated, 1 because I ate everything without control, and 2 because in my house there was no acceptable economy, so carryA diet was impossible for me.When I arrived at the institute, all my colleagues treated me as if it were glass and that marked me a lot, it was missing every two and I had many problems to finish the institute, I felt very displaced because as I was going little I did not have friends, butOf course, diabetes is not easy for anyone, but not impossible to control.I don't care how they look at me or if they sympathize with me, because I know that I am and what I am capable of.A very strong kiss ^^

DiabetesForo
08/31/2010 1:34 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.