Hello, I'm new to the forum and I need help!

ana&mike's profile photo   12/19/2009 2:17 p.m.

Hello my name is Ana. I am not diabetics but my husband is.Thank God I found this forum because I am very distressed.My husband is diagnosed, diabetes approximately 5 years ago but as he doesn't want to accept it.Unfortunately he is very sweet, he loves bread, juices, fruit, jam, etc.It is very difficult to overcome the craving of carbohydrates and therefore it is very difficult to fight this disease.I tell you a little about its history.When they recently diagnosed it, they did not know exactly how much sugar brought in the blood because the machine only gave up to 500!He had gone to the doctor because he felt very bad, even very much weight in a very short period of time (approximately two weeks) and gave him a lot thirst and went to the bathroom so he went to DR and because the sugar brought herAltisima.After that, then I take care of you but then it doesn't care.Another problem that he has is that he eats a lot of omelette, we are Mexican and we usually eat with tortilla but he eats it in exaggeration.In a sitting he can eat 15 to 18 tortillas.I always told him to take care that he put on his part, that he would accept that he is diabetic but he got angry and told me to shut up until the point that I no longer told him came.About a year ago he went to an annual regular check -up and everything came out of clouds, cholesterol as in 500, triglycerides as in 3400 and the upper sugar !!!It almost gives me a heart attack when I saw the results !!That day the DR put him as a flip, he scolded him a lot almost cry and told him that he was very young (29 years) to have all these problems and appear from there he told him that he had to start injecting insulin.From there my husband started to take care of a lot, to exercise, a healthy, he took pure water and in a month under everything that brought high (cholesterol and triglyceride) also also with the help of medication and weighing almost 220 pounds lowup to 180 !!The DR told him to go down 10 more pounds and removed the insulin because for the month that he started eating healthy, the sugar brought it within normal.

Now almost a year of that has passed and he fell and rose again and the super high sugar (366) and is depressed.He stops taking care of himself because he does not give him the importance that the disease deserves.I don't know what to do, I tell you that I need it and that I need it healthy.I also feel a little guilty because I have descended it a lot in the aspect that I almost didI get up early and I don't eat him.I know I need to support it but I don't know how.Please help me I must do to motivate him to change his way of life, I know that I must do it because he will benefit me but for a question of time I make me very difficult with so many occupations.He also goes to school and works 11 and a half hours a day so we left from the morning and arrived until half past 9 at night.Please help me !!

Thank you!

ana&mike's profile photo
ana&mike
12/19/2009 2:17 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello, Ana.

I think your husband has a more serious problem than diabetes and is non -acceptance.It is difficult to help those who do not want to take care, although there are two things that I, if it were in your place, would do:
The first is to suppress from home everything that harms him and start eating with the supervision of a nutritionist.
The second would be to talk to doctors and that they gave him a "walk" through a hospital where there are people who suffer the consequences of poorly careful diabetes and thus see the future that awaits him if he follows that path.

Eating healthy is a matter of the whole family and, if he lacks willpower, he will not help him that others eat tortillas and other foods rich in carbohydrates.

Patience, firmness and welcome to the club.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/19/2009 4:21 p.m.

hello:
I am also new in the forum, but not with diabetes (I've been 20 years).
I also agree that you cannot help the one who does not want help.It has to be the one who takes the rein of the matter, because after all it is his health and he is not a child.I also believe that you should not be distressed, because you will transmit it to him and with the anguish we are not going anywhere.
I would try to motivate him by making him realize how he feels when he has normal levels and how he feels when not.Logically you feel better with 110 than with 360, I believe that little by little he will realize that he has more energy and feels happier when you take a little take care of.
It is true that accepting that you have a chronic disease is not an easy process, and it can last time until you assimilate it.I do not know in Mexico, but there are also psychologists who can help you, although it is always something you have to do and nobody else can do it for you.The support of the family and friends is very important, and perhaps it is good to get together with people in their same situation, s is fine to relativize and see everything simpler.

lola's profile photo
lola
12/19/2009 6:24 p.m.

Hi Ana, welcome to the club.
Little to add to what they have told you ... you can invite you to read the forum and check that taking care and learning about the disease can make a more normal life than it seems ... but of course, like everything in life, this takes time to stabilize the levels and others ...
Good luck.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
12/20/2009 5:17 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Welcome.

Tell your husband to feel a little in front of the computer and read a little, it will come well.

I debut a few months ago.The day I entered the hospital, I felt good, nothing hurt, I had just lost weight, and I drank a lot of water, and I went a lot to the bathroom, but I felt good.I had nothing but a distant notion of what diabetes was, but as the emergency doctor spoke to me and confirmed that with those symptoms the diagnosis was clear ...... my mind was thinking: "This will not be able toWith me "and the doctor told me that in medicine there are few things that are" forever "and that this was one of them ... my mind kept thinking" ok, but this will not be able to me, and I will do whatHave to do. "

I did not lose the smile at any time, and I was very clear that I would go ahead, even if that implies effort and some deprivation ... and I still have no smile, I do not consider myself sick, much less.This is like wearing glasses, well, maybe a little more complicated, but it is not something that prevents you from leading a normal life, with normal activities ... moreover, you take care of yourself, you eat healthier, you exercise .....

So tell your husband that what he has is nothing bad, that you just have to get used to living a bit different.For your part, help him, eat the same thing he has to eat, do the same lifestyle, that, I guarantee it, help a lot.

Greetings.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
12/21/2009 3:11 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.