Mysterious resistance to Lantus.

notmy's profile photo   11/22/2012 2:42 p.m.

I am 17 years old, weight 61 kg and I measure 1'75.I am quite thin, but I do not stop needing more and more lantus.This summer click me about 15 units and right now I am in 26, and increasing.I need more and more, and yet I do not pass 4-5 daily units of Novorapid.

Does anyone know what can be?I am worried.Sometimes I have come to think that so many units prick me that my body has an opposite effect, that is, at small descents the body responds by releasing glucose or something, and that in reality what I need is to lower insulin.

My endo has no idea and says that I do not worry, that it increases and increases, but I am not comfortable, because the change is tremendous in just 2 months and I have even increased weight.

Last year I tried Levemir but I needed much higher doses and decided to leave it, because I also worsened in general.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
11/22/2012 2:42 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

When did you debut?It may be that the honeymoon is running out.Anyway, 26 basal units is not a barbarity ... there are times that there is more insulin resistance, that's not bad

tica's profile photo
tica
11/22/2012 2:47 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Where do you put the Lantus?
Does the injection areas broken?

It does not make much sense such an exaggerated difference between the units of Lantus and Novorapid:-/

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/22/2012 2:53 p.m.

One possibility is that you have developed antibodies against Lantus insulin, it is a rare but possible disorder ... although it is usually defined by requiring more than 200 units per day of insulin

Even in the Lantus prospect it mentions it:
Insulin administration can lead to the formation of anti -censulin antibodies.In clinical studies, antibodies were observed that presented cross reaction with human insulin and insulin Glargina, with the same frequency both in insulin-NPH treatment groups and with insulin Glargina.On rare occasions, the presence of these anti -censulin antibodies can specify an insulin dose adjustment to correct a tendency to hyper or hypoglycemia.

It probably is none of this ... and perhaps the issue can be solved on the other hand.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/22/2012 3:08 p.m.

What controls do you have?
What time do you get Lantus?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/22/2012 3:19 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

My last hemoglobin is 6.

I debuted 6 years ago.I punctuate the buttocks, one left day, another day the right.At 7-7: 30 in the morning.I choose that time because it is the one that generally comes better to me, I have worse controls if I punctuate at night.

Sometimes I combine with thighs.I try to change the area as much as possible.

What worries me most is the constant need to increase.Not low or sports (whether intense or soft ... When I started in summer, I ran 45 minutes a day to fast pace and there was still no way to lower units).I am very active in daily life and try to move everything I can, currently I do an hour for daily walk.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
11/22/2012 3:37 p.m.

I suppose the control before sleeping will be fine (140?) And that if you need more lantus it is by hyper when you wake up .. Lantus continues to rise in one unit.There are people who need up to 40 units.You get very little fast, so one compensates for the other ... I don't see that you have to worry.
Welcome to the forum: D

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/22/2012 6:09 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I also have resistance to Lantus, I currently put 98 units and 12 -12 -12 of Apidra, in addition to 2 metformin pills.Before yesterday in the consultation I have with the endocrine I prescribe Victoza, which is a new medication (I tell myself that I had been) and that with him the dose of Lantus was going to decrease.I will comment how it goes when I start to wear it, since the recipe has to pass the medical inspection.I tell me that it has several side effects at the beginning such as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite.Next week when I start to wear it, I'll tell you.

manolo82's profile photo
manolo82
11/23/2012 3:51 a.m.

Hi Manolo82, I go for 80 units of Lantus and I get up with 170 to 240, I need more I put it at night nothing more, also at lunch I wear Victoza, and the reaction that makes me depends if I sleep the nap, II get up with 60 to 70 but when it comes to waking and although I walk to walk, it puts me in 200 to 280, if I do not sleep my nap it puts me between 140 and 210, I also take three metformin pill, tomorrow, noon and noon andNoche, I have gone down since I put the victory about 8 kilos and I stagnated, the victory gives me fatigue, lack of concentration and bad body, before putting the victory I put the same insulin but in two punctures in the morning and for theNight and truth The result of control is the same as with the victory, that is the result that is giving me, each one is different, this February I have an appointment with the endocrine to have told me, I think this makes me veryLittle, that that the body creates antibody and cancels or eliminates insulin will be true, at least in my case, I am a little counter, I tell you because it is my experience, I hope you count yours with the victory, I hadMany hope she and look at my result, I hope you go well for you, greetings from Seville

yamaha's profile photo
yamaha
12/28/2014 2:21 p.m.

If you started with 15, you started with very few.This goes by weight and if you weigh 61 kg you would correspond to you about 30 ui more or less.It is not accurate but approximately.I weight 60 and I put myself 28.
Maybe you have not yet reached the dose that corresponds to you.And if so there are also mixed ... I don't know, your endocrine is the one that must adjust the medication.
What I do think is that slow is better at night, it helps more adjust everything because if you get up below 150 you leave that dose, and if you increase two units, if you put it in the morning it is more complicatedThe adjustment.

meginer's profile photo
meginer
12/28/2014 3:17 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.