Dose

carmen ferradas's profile photo   12/02/2012 1:02 p.m.

Hello chic@s, I have a question I was reading a book that in a small thing is that 1 fast insulin unit covers him from 30 to 40 grams of carbohydrates ... what is happening to me is my son is using my opinionToo much insulin at breakfast 1/16, 1/15 lunch, Dinner 1/20, I asked the endo and told me that it was not normal, the basal apparently is fine because it is dawning below 120 mg/dl ...Has it ever happened to them?

carmen ferradas's profile photo
carmen ferradas
12/02/2012 1:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello
How old is your child?I remember that as a child the insulin needs changed a lot, it may be that by hormones I have a small insulin resistance but that, in principle, is not bad, has to put the insulin it needs ...

tica's profile photo
tica
12/02/2012 1:26 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hi aunt, he is 5 years old

carmen ferradas
12/02/2012 1:27 p.m.

As Tica says, he needs the units that touch him
that in this there is nothing normal ...

1 unit every 30 or 40 gr.of carbohydrates, you say that he puts the book .... I don't know what will be but is wrong
1 unit is usually used every 10 or 15 gr of carbohydrates, but of course, that in older patients ... and always in theory.

What sends is the glucometer, if 2 hours after eating it is in good values ​​is that the rapid insulin is well calculated ... but then it will have to be raised (if carbohydrates have been well calculated)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/02/2012 1:58 p.m.

It is a guide, it is called carbohydrate counting for childrens with diabetes by lilly, to be more accurate it says: For kids up to 6 years 1/2 to 1 unit for every 30 to 45 grams of carys and in adolescents 1 insulin unit rapidevery 7 to 15 grams of carbs ..

carmen ferradas
12/02/2012 2:16 p.m.

Is this guide, right?

I understand that what it says (page 12 and 13) is an example of the variability of insulin needs or how the insulin/carbohydrate ratio change.
No, that normal is 1/2 unit for every 40 gr of HC (for example).

I already say that one thing is to start from one base (1 unit every 10 or 15 gr HC) and another thing is reality, much less in children than with the issue of growing hormones are a complex lack of control.

DiabetesForo
12/02/2012 2:51 p.m.

If that is the guide.You are very right Owash ... Doubt clarified ... thank you very much to you and tica for answering ...

carmen ferradas
12/02/2012 3:22 p.m.

Hello, my son is 6 years old, and I put in the morning 12 units of Levemir and two of Novorapid, at noon of Novorapid and the night 6 of Levemir and two of Novorapid.
But to adjust the dose to rations you can not because it depends on the exercise you have done.If, for example, in the afternoon you are calm with a Novorapid unit down very little.But if that afternoon he has exercised with that same unit I can tell you that it is equivalent to at least three units in the afternoons that does not play sports.
Therefore there is as much variability in how it affects a unit with respect to the hydrates it takes.
The 24kg weighs and measures 125 cm.What guidance of units do you use in the day?

juanqui2791's profile photo
juanqui2791
12/07/2012 3:02 p.m.

Carmen I have read you that you already have the Omnipod ... Tell us a little your experience.

DiabetesForo
12/08/2012 3:13 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.