On needles

DiabetesForo's profile photo   04/19/2013 7:33 a.m.

Hello everyone:
While I use needles of 0.25 x 8 mm and I have a "belly" of beer type, there are times when I hurt when skewer forces me to look for another site.Total, that I have a good bruise on the left side.

That is why and since I do not encourage myself to click on another place, such as the thighs for example, I would like to know what determines and/or advises one or another needle length to be injected into the belly.

Thanks and Salu2

Pedro.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/19/2013 7:33 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

In my humble opinion, and based on the long experience that I have been able to see other people with diabetes in these 27 years, I must say that it is too abused of the gut as a injection zone, probably for being very comfortable.However, it is the most sensitive to lipodystrophies and cysts for being the most fatty area and with less resistance with respect to triceps and side of the thigh.I have seen true gut disasters, especially in the female gender, which practices less average physical exercise with respect to the boys.

Conclusion, leave that gut for a while and start with arms and thigh.I never click on the gut, I take care of her as if I were my son :-)

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
04/19/2013 7:45 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

In my 20 years of DM1 I have never punctured in the gut, always on the thighs and arms.I have no fat in the belly and also scares me.: P

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/19/2013 8:22 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

The recommended size for almost all people is 5mm, even 4 mm (if BD has commercialized) is also acceptable
It is click at right and pinch

Although in my opinion, in people without great overweight, you can prick without pinching with 4-5 and 6 mm needles without danger of arriving outside subcutaneous tissue.

The 8 mm would only be recommended to use them with pinch and with an angle of 45º (inclined) so as not to get out of the subcutaneous tissue.

I do not understand how, at this point, there is someone who can use the 12 mm ... Under my opinion, they would not be recommended to any type of patient under any circumstance.

My experience, before using the bomb, used 8mm, my educator suggested to change 5 mm and without any problem in glycemia;I used with and without pinch, always at right angles.

A highly recommended link to read: New recommendations on injection technique Link ... Edical.pdf

DiabetesForo
04/19/2013 12:37 p.m.

Thanks Owash.Next week I will finish the needles of 8 and buy the youngest.As for what is advised to inject into the legs I want to say that I have never been able to fear, which does not happen to me with my "brewing belly."

And great the page on applications.

Salu2 to all and good weekend.

Pedro

DiabetesForo
04/20/2013 5:48 a.m.

For Owash:
According to what was discussed in the post I went to three pharmacies of the Canary Islands who, after searching on their screens, tell me or that they have not been for 5 or that have been exhausted and the distributor does not bring them (?).

While I will continue to find out, I would like to know if there is a notable (pain) difference between insulin with a 5 mm or an 8 mm.

Thanks and Salu2

Pedro

DiabetesForo
04/24/2013 12:49 p.m.

The needles do not give them to you in the health center or in the hospital?

Becton Dickinson
There you have the 3 sizes (5, 8 and 12)
You also have the pharmacy code

Theorically they have the same price, the size does not matter ... and as for the distributor it is absurd what they tell you, the distributor sells what they ask, if they do not ask him because he does not bring them, from drawer goes ...

No, it's not a matter of pain ... If you always use a new needle, you don't have to notice pain, with a 5 or 8 with one of 8
The issue is that with larger needles you are more likely to inject insulin outside the subcutaneous tissue

DiabetesForo
04/24/2013 1:09 p.m.

Understood your Owash clarification.

So, if I can't find them, I continue with them and voila.

(On the lack of supply was that what they told me in the pharmacies).

Thank you again.

Pedro

DiabetesForo
04/24/2013 2:37 p.m.

Well, to me in the pantorillas those of 5 are fatal, I have the insulin in lumps under the skin and to the second injection with the same needle and neither crosses my skin.I don't know, but I prefer those of 8.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/25/2013 1:55 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

For me the measure that we could catalog as the most appropriate for most people (except hyperdelgados and chubby) is 6 mm.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
04/25/2013 4:13 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

The best solution for this punctures is ................ insulin by mouth.

Let's pray to invent it soon !!

Pedro

DiabetesForo
04/25/2013 7:24 a.m.

For Owash and friends:
Well, Owash was right with the matter of the distributors, then condemn that in the three pharmacies they told me that they could not get the 5 mm needles in the fourth they gave them without problems or comments.

I thought that 3 mm more or less were nothing, but seeing the 5 already impresses with the small and applying it would almost say .............. which is a pleasure.

Good Sunday for everyone.

Pedro

DiabetesForo
05/01/2013 8:57 a.m.

The important thing is glycemia, first ... and then comfort/absence discomfort.

You're right, I thought the same when I changed needle size ...
I hope you do well with change

DiabetesForo
05/01/2013 3:10 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.