I present myself, I'm David

darder's profile photo   05/05/2010 5:12 a.m.

Hello everyone, my wife has just been diagnosed as type I diabetics, after having been gestational diabetics.

The thing is that my wife is a nurse, so we do not know how it can affect her by the issue of shift rotations.Does anyone have experience in this issue, and know if you can master the disease working in rotating shifts such as nurses?

The turn is not so bad, it is an antistress, that is, 4 mornings, 2 nights, 4 free, but the truth is that we know if it can be controlled, although I understand that they give some dedication and constancy it is possible.

Please help, we are a little overwhelmed because of the ignorance we have, and I wanted to know your experience in the subject.,

Greetings to all and thanks.

David

darder's profile photo
darder
05/05/2010 5:12 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi David, Welcome !!!

I do not know what treatment your wife has but if you are with basal lantus or lesson and a ultra -grape (Humalog, Novorapid or Apidra) for meals, it can wear good control even if it changes shifts.The important and most complicated is the beginning, adjusting the basal doses and for meals but with a little patience and many glucose controls are achieved well.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/05/2010 6:44 a.m.

Hi, David, welcome.

If possible.
As Prado has told you, at first the insulin must be adjusted well, but once she knows how to handle and raise or lower doses according to her needs, it will be easy.

Tell him to pass through the forum if he has doubts.

Welcome to the club.

DiabetesForo
05/05/2010 8:17 a.m.

Well, thank you very much, the true des which is with Lantus de Basal, and with a rapid novorapid.The thing is that we do not know if you can adjust well to the change of schedules, but we hope that if .....

Right now the truth is that we are a bit lost, since we are in the phase of knowing the disease, and it logically generates a lot of doubts.

Anyone who is with shift changes, and who does well with the nurse?

Many thanks for everything.

David

darder's profile photo
darder
05/05/2010 11:05 a.m.

When your wife is already well adjusted to the Lantus, she can spend without eating even 24 hours a day without hypoglycemia and without hyperglycemia, that is the theory.For meals knowing the amount of hydrates that the novorapid will adjust, so I see any problem in changing shifts and varies the hours of meals, of course it is very important that the basal insulin (lantus) is well adjustedand measure yourself, measure a lot to see the changes and correct.
Of course, the ideal would undoubtedly be the insulin bomb but for that it has to spend time with the feathers to know their diabetes well and acquire the necessary knowledge.
Very important to go to the endocrine or the educator who has to give the guidelines at the beginning.

DiabetesForo
05/05/2010 11:19 a.m.

Thanks Prado, the truth is that we take a weight off.

The thing that had us mosquty is that the endocrine itself is the one that has said that it is forgotten to make nights, and that it has to adjust its life to the disease in all aspects, which has surprised us a lot ..

darder's profile photo
darder
05/06/2010 3:53 a.m.

David, because what the endocrine has told you:-/, when what is usually said is the opposite, that you have to live with diabetes and not for diabetes.
With flat insulins, life can be normalized and you are not subject to rigid meal schedules.
What usually happens with Lantus is that it makes more effect in the first hours than in the last ones, so it is better to sleep in the last hours, not to have hypos.I put it in the morning because, when he put it at night, they gave him hypos while he slept (which is the most dangerous).But that must be seen in each case.
Levemir can also come well, because it can vary doses every 12 hours, depending on the activity to be performed.
The bomb you see that it is going very well, and with it that doses can be varied in different schedules.
It is a matter of going little by little, until you get the best treatment.Use the glucometer a lot, which is what helps.

Greetings :)

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/06/2010 11:57 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hi David, my name is Oscar and I'm also a nurse.

I've been as a diabetic and 12 as a nurse for 22 years.I have lived experiences of all kinds in my profession, all kinds of shifts and all kinds of services.My conclusion is that I will not make a rotary shift while I can avoid it.The reason is obvious, it is impossible to maintain a regularity in the food and injections schedules and the consequence is that the body goes crazy and the HBA1C by the clouds.I left the hospital where I worked and went to primary care for this same reason.
My advice is to go through occupational health and expose the case, to place it in a fixed shift and leave experiments, that health is the first.The diabetic needs a routine life, eating a few decent hours and apart from the schedules is the issue of so bestial stress that we live health personnel in hospitals, which affects barbarity.Think that in states of stress the body segrega cortisol and adrenaline, which are "kneading poison" for the diabetic.
If it is not possible to get a fixed shift you can try to wear an insulin pump.So far I am avoiding it for the psychological factor, and they teach us to handle the pump but psychologically do not form us to carry it.For me it is already a very heavy burden to live with DMI and wearing a petaca in tow was not going to do well.

Give you a lot of encouragement to carry the disease and think that with everything that this disease is investigated it will be cured in a few years, you will see.A hug :d

Use Lantus 28-0-0 and Lispro on demand.Last HBA1C 6.2 (today I have done another, I'll tell you)

Figaro_enf's profile photo
Figaro_enf
05/06/2010 2:54 p.m.

Well, thank you for your information, but the truth is that you give us a small erves to what we were, since we had the hope that she could continue making normal shifts without problems.

darder's profile photo
darder
05/07/2010 4:37 a.m.

In my opinion, shifts are not "excuse" for bad control ... today through insulin pumps or different types of insulin (Levemir for those cases it is great) adjust insulin needs very well.
The Basal Bolus guideline will allow us to adjust much better than years ago with mixed, mixed and others.
In my opinion, Lantus is somewhat more complex ... I took a long time to notice changes in glycemia by modifying the doses ... with less than 1-2 days I already notice the changes

Another thing is the theme of stress ... As Oscar says, glycemia rises ... but also low it ... in general, high glycemia because of the stress low very easily and needs much less insulin... In children and people in honeymoon or with high insulin sensitivity, 1 fast unit can cause problems of high blood glucose ...

In short, that each one is a world, difficult to compare between cases ... the experience will tell us what comes better to each one ...

DiabetesForo
05/07/2010 6:40 a.m.

I agree with Owash, today we have sufficient insulins and technology to lead a normal life without giving up anything, we will not discuss that it is normal that this is another topic;).
Another story is how everyone faces diabetes, all ways to do so are very respectable, I was very clear from the beginning that I was not going to give up anything because of the diabetes and today I can say that I continue to make the same lifeFrom before, without limitations and taking care of myself enough to have some we have below 6 in these almost 10 years.
As you see Figaro we count our experience, I do not agree with you that we have to lead a routine life, nor that we need psychological support to carry a bomb, we just have to accept what we have, accept that it is incurable and make use of allThe advances, which are many and above all adapt diabetes to our life not the other way around ...;)

DiabetesForo
05/07/2010 8:07 a.m.

I am from Prado's opinion.I would not think I am not going to make this turn because I have diabetes, if not how I can attach my diabetes to this turn, he did not say it is easy, but possibly possible.I have different shifts too, and I simply consider if I will eat before or after and how I will manage insulin.

As for the bomb I do not believe that psychological support is needed, (perhaps if with respect to diabetes in general as a disease).Taking it all day with you is not the best in the world, but you also have to wear the bolis all day with you.It is fair that has given me more security, with the bomb you have the insulin more by hand, and surely you do not forget at home.

Greetings

lola's profile photo
lola
05/07/2010 8:40 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.