The non -diabetics

Juan Luis's profile photo   07/26/2010 7:32 a.m.

What do non -diabetics do when facing a diabetic?There is everything, there are those that get very serious, because they have been taught that when someone counts a misfortune you have to get serious, there are those that stare at you, with an intensity that gets to hurt, there are those who look elsewhere,You have to twist their mouths and quickly look for something in their memories that have to do with diabetes to make you see that they understand you, some of their grandfather, there are quickly those that they tell you that they also had a very bad time with anotherillness, there are those who tell you that they feel it, without feeling it, and there are those who tell you that they feel it, and if they feel it, because they love you, because even if they do not have an idea that is that of type 1 diabetes they know aboutYour voice that you are having a bad time, that you are lost, that you do not know what to do, that you do not have an idea that it is that of type 1 diabetes, how serious it should be because that way of thinning could not be good.

To all of them you have to be grateful, yes.To the former because it serves you to prepare for what you are going to find in the street.And I do not mean the ignorance, that I also mean that feeling that they do not know what you are talking about, what you think they imagine that you are exaggerating, that removing the endo and two more, for others you are a hysterical,Because his grandfather was also diabetic and he didn't get like that.And to the latter because, although they also think that you are a hysterical, they will silence it, and lend themselves to hear you, to vent with them.

Unfortunately, the former are many more than the latter.Then you start defending yourself.And to the second time you have you have nothing to do with type one with type two.And on the third occasion, because the second obviously has not served at all, you tell them that your pancreas does not produce any insulin, and that if you are wrong in the amount of insulin and you get too much you can pass out.To the fourth, seen the little success of the third, it is when you find the first reef of your "defense", the pricking insulin, the measure ... ummmm, the faces that put when you tell it, and do you have to prick many times?Yes, many, and you show it by clicking at that time.Well, first victory, they already look at you with respect….I would dare to say that with pain.

What happens is that non -diabetics, even without being diabetic, are not dumb.And they see that you make life more or less normal, clicking you, yes, but you make normal life (see note), and stop respecting you.It is then when you have to decide, or you decide not to respect you confirming you again confirming that if you live more or less normal, and that at about clicking, one gets used to ...Or you tell you that the profession goes inside, that it hurts the prick that hurts, what happens is that the worst is to calculate the hydrates to know the insulin that you have to wear, that if you are wrong you play your future, and that all this tires, and a lot ...And well, you have hope that in a few years there will be an artificial pancreas ... Ah, and tell you about the insulin bomb ...AGGGG?Humed to a machine?…Anyway, I planned to make a story about all this for Abbot's contest but as precisely patience to be more than fifteen minutes in front of the keyboard is not one of my virtues, because I have decided to hang it here.

Note: A non -diabetic will never imagine that a puncture may not hurt.

Juan Luis's profile photo
Juan Luis
07/26/2010 7:32 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

sitting to eat with a "non -diabetic" and ignorant of diabetes is an experience that we should all live and reflect on it: Mrgreen:
And if the character comes out asks, it is already a traca:-/

Lancetas, fingers, alternation, low high values, glucometers, analytics, laboratories, costs, recipes, food quantities, carbohydrates, desserts , insulin, types, hours, duration ......

In a hour and fourth of food they are able to perform a control session that not even the best educator would be able: D

It always happens to me when as with a lady/lady ... the coffee/cut/tea with saccharina always leave him in front of the tablemate, leaving me the corresponding sugar ... things of Mr. Murphy

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/26/2010 2:13 p.m.

Helloaaaaaa,
In these three and a half months with diabetes I have found reactions of all kinds, as soon as I got off the hospital and tell what I had, most people looked at me with a sorrow, and those who do not know what is about theDiabetes, they already thought that I was going to the other world and looked at me with a sorrow, others because they knew about diabetes because they had relatives, mothers, in -laws ... they already encouraged me saying: your quiet, that today the dayDiabetes is not so much, and you can make normal life, then the typical neighbor that instead of encouraging you, because it released the Lindeza: what a fucking disease you have touched you, I who at first was crowded, because cursing the lady and thinking, small animals that is giving me, now I laugh, but at the beginning or fucking grace.
The auction was a month ago that I invite me a friend to eat, until all well, the dessert arrived, I take my yogurt, hahaha, and the friend, do not eat cake?Me: Shock: I can't, and goes and gets angry, explaining to him to enter, in the end I don't know if he understood, but hey, there, he insisted, but not a chub?I don't, in the end even in bad ways, hahahaha
Owash, my tb passes me, I say saccharina, and as if nothing, sugar and on top, hahahaha
The Saturday went to take a coffee to a terrace, and I ask: coffee with milk with saccharin, and the waiter skips me: I call that a manico, come on to look bad and everything, I was quiet, but I hadthat having jumped a mockery, but hey, there will be occasion, hahahahaha
See you later
All the best

anabeg's profile photo
anabeg
07/26/2010 8:12 p.m.

Ja, ha ha, anabeg ... there is everything in the vineyard of the Lord !!!!!

On Sunday I left with my husband and some friends to a kind of cocktery - tertía and began to ask ....
Do you have sugarless ice cream (to make me a shake) ?????well no !!!!!
And can you get any of the cocktails without adding sugar (for example a mojito) ???well no !!!!!
Well, put an infusion with ice and saccharin !!!!!!It is that we have no saccharin ...... (and it goes and tells me ...) because you are special asking .... heh, heh, (to which I answer) not special,beautiful ....... I am a diabetic !!!!.Ja, ha, and I stayed more comfortable than a bush.
Luckily they had Coca-Cola Light, than if not ......

virginia's profile photo
virginia
07/27/2010 3:41 a.m.

The truth is that there are people who had to bite their tongue, they have also told me everything, since my grandmother was cut off her legs, that my aunt stayed blind, ect, ect, ect, and the truth isThat when they tell you and you are new, you stay Ploffff and with the animals for the soils ... but well, you already know that there are people, good, very good, very bad, and "ignorant" people especially indiabetes.

Those who really know the disease, by a friend or family, are the only ones who give you dares and with whom you can speak and understand you ..
: Mrgreen:

All the best

DiabetesForo
07/27/2010 4:28 a.m.

I cannot agree more (Juan Luis, I reiterate my admiration for your stories).
When Noe debuted, people "encouraged us" in many ways: "woman, don't worry that this is taken with development, today many cases" (I still don't know any), "how can your child have a diseaseof old? "(No, Madam, that the old man is different), "Diabetes, because not eating cakes ..." (: Shock::? And insulin, glycemia ...).
And when we left the hospital, the typical, the visits home, and as usual in the villages, people brought things to recover: juices, biscuits, homemade sweets, flan ... but what has what it hasIt is diabetes !!.
And the bomb arrived: "What a penita, so small and always connected to that device, doesn't it feel sorry?"(Well, no more, it makes me click 5 times a day), "And you can't take it away or sleep?"(:-/:-/) ...
But the height of the colmos is that after three and a half years living with diabetes, there are still close people, even close relatives, who do not know what they can eat or have to weigh the food to count the rations of HC ("Does therations of whateeeee? ").
I have already given up giving explanations to the "ignorant of diabetes", when they always ask me, I say "great, there is nothing more to see the girl";)

DiabetesForo
07/27/2010 5:19 a.m.

Bueeeeeno ..... remember what we knew about diabetes before having it, nothing, we were as ignorant as those that tell us those things that seem stupid :)) :)) :)), I at least was.The words and expressions that Owash says now they seem normal but if I had no diabetes I would sound like Chinese ....: D
But between being ignorant but prudent and ignorant and reckless there is a good stretch and from the latter we find us many unfortunately, I now slip the comments and I do not bother to answer anything, or give explanations of anything
It is also true that people around me daily, family and friends, acquaintances, come that I lead a normal life and that as the same thing so they are not surprised that you ask for a piece of dessert cake if I feel like it or an ice cream nowIn summer and saccharin I always carry it in my bag;)

DiabetesForo
07/27/2010 5:47 a.m.

Episodes of this type I think we have all passed.
How many times has happened to see faces of amazement and even panic when I tell you that I have to prick insulin and see me to do it ... When I am puncturing, there is a huge silence, and I feel several eyes stuck in my gut which needleInsulin watching me with terror as I "martyr", and then put the lid to my insulin ball, bombard me with thousands of typical questions: Does it hurt?Don't be afraid of you?And how do you know how much you have to put on?And how many times a day?Oh, if I had to do it, I gave me something .... Well, no lords, nothing happens, nor mutilate, and it is a needle, not a katana, so hurt does not hurt much ....And if you don't keep you anymore to do it, then it is done and it is already, nor that we had choice .....
Another is when the typical list comes and tells you: oh, you sugar or try it, right?Oh, you of this are not that you cannot ..... Let's see gentlemen, it is like, in a dessert, without abusing and calculating well insulin-rations, I can, we have nothing "forbidden" ... but they are not worth them thatTell you that, you think you are inventing it or putting an excuse to hit you a whim ...
Or the ignorant who tells you: well, you can not eat sweet ... but this bag of fried potatoes can eat since it is salty, no, you just upload the sweet, right?And you explain that even if it is not sweet, the hydrates also make you upload the glucose .... already the variety of faces they put ... you can imagine ...
Anyway, I would have hours and hours to write stories, but I think these are the most common and with which we find ourselves day by day ...
Whoever asks and wants to know, explains and taught him, always with a good face, since although diabetes is a slab that we carry, if he wants, he can get along. I do not like to be pity or give it shameThere are always worse things, and as I always say, this, within the bad, the least bad ...

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
08/05/2010 11:46 a.m.

Well, we have to find us all in these circumstances at various times ... but it is what I always say, who does not like it does not look.I am me and if I do not take care of me ... Besides, everyone should control what is eaten and how it feeds.So I see it as a good for us.It makes me funny the people who think that we only eat vegetables, etc. .. And when you tell them you can eat everything (you don't have to go with fried frying and others, you already understand me: p) They look at you astonished.I already take it with a good mood ... after all, when they talk about other diseases, for example, because we also put strange faces and 1000 questions arise in the head ...
I am lucky that the people around me know how to react to any circumstance.And if I do not want to eat cake because I do not have sugar or not.: P

Nita_Wave's profile photo
Nita_Wave
08/21/2010 1:23 p.m.

!What reason do you have!that of people who have no idea what the disease is and everything that entails.Most of them get bored of listening to the diabetic and prefers to look elsewhere, so if I don't ask anyone tells me their sorrows.
But what about the non -diabetics that they know of the disease?Family members, fathers, mothers, wives, husbands .... who prepare meals weighing food?Those who go to bed with their partners and stay part of the night to monitor that possible hypoglycemia? Those who are shaking that the mobile sounds to tell you that you go to look for them because due to the exercise they are lower than normal and nottrace the sugar?Those who endure the bad mood of their family family member when he does everything possible to control their values ​​and cannot get it? Those who swallow their tears when they see that the person they want can no longer can do and cannot domore to help her?In short, those who without being diabetics, eat, drink, suffer and have the same fears as those who have touched the worst part of the disease.
Many diabetics are forgotten that behind their misfortune there is always someone who is with them, although it goes unnoticed, and that person suffers as much as they themselves, and to top it off is not understood by the diabetic or the ignorant non -diabetic.
Thank you.This is a healthy way of venting.

tenesper's profile photo
tenesper
08/22/2010 6:41 a.m.

You have, the "travel companions" of type 1 or 2, some are called type 3.
Let's say they suffer from the disease without having it physically, but they are conducted to food schedules, types, to customs ....
Type 3 are the ones you describe: couples, parents, roommates, friends ....

DiabetesForo
08/22/2010 7:24 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.