drive

paula's profile photo   08/15/2010 11:30 p.m.

Hello everyone, in September I would like to start getting the driving license, I did not do it before for fear of the descent of Ázucar, but now that I have bomb I feel safer.I know that I must measure my blood glucose levels before driving, but I have a small doubt, I no longer take cookies with Ázucar, I take the new Gullón, and the truth is that I do not upload my glucose much, to drive, should I do it?.Thank you

paula's profile photo
paula
08/15/2010 11:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

In the beginning there is no problem in which a diabetic takes the driving license, as longSometimes we have no symptoms of descent, so at least to prevent, you must do it. And then for example, I always carry in the car caramelos with sugar, so it can happen.

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
08/16/2010 5:35 a.m.

I would face it as if you were exercising ...
You measure before taking the car and acts accordingly (you eat fast, slow or 2 depending on)
The answer will always give the glucometer, at the beginning I would eat 1 ration of HC (2 cookies for example) and see how it works ...

This is a my theory, not confirmed or read anywhere , so I put it to see what you think: D
It is estimated that for every minute of driving, 0.040 calories are burned: Link ... A = 100803#3
4 Calories is equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate ....... so every hour driving would theory theoretically 0.6 grams of carbohydrates.
I edit to myself, to add that I have forgotten to multiply by the body weight of each person ... and I do not say it except in the presence of my endocrine :))
That is, following my hypothetical theory a 70 kilos person would consume 42 grams of HC, use 4 portions.

After the subject comes and driving.
As you know the stress rises glycemia and this is not very predictable ...:-/

On the other hand, to renew the driving license they ask for a medical, favorable report of the endocrine ... I imagine that to take it out for the first time too.
More info:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/16/2010 8:23 a.m.

Oysters .... well .... I had not thought about looking at me before making a long journey ... as a little sugar being is little ...
The longest trip I made was 1.30h of a pull.The only thing I had in mind was not to drive at meals at the time to avoid descent and for the moment I have not had any scare.
By the way, the T the Table of Caloric expenditure.
I encourage the card and without fears.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/16/2010 9:01 a.m.

Thank you very much for answering, but Oswas I understood that renewing the card every year went down in history and now it is done every 3 years, it is seen that they informed me badly.Thanks again.: D

paula's profile photo
paula
08/16/2010 3:43 p.m.

Hello,

Owash, zero that you have done the calculation of portions badFor that rule, before going to sleep you would have to eat 0.015 * 8h * 60min * 70kg = 504kcal = & GT;504/4/10 = 12 portions not to have hypoglycemia at night, and it is clear that this is not true ... there are the fats that are 9 calories per 1g ...

Perhaps the calculation of the extra contribution that would have to be contributed would be (0.040 calories/driving - 0.018 calories/be relaxed) * 70kg * 60min = 75.6 extra calories per hour driving.Assuming that all calories take them out of carbohydrates (which is not true) would be 1.89 portions of hydrates.But they still seem a lot ... few people are relaxed all the time

When I drive my sugar and if this is more than 100, I don't drink anything (if you have the basal and the Bolus well regulated and you are no longer taking effect), if I am unless I take a ration of hydrates ...I have done many km. driving and what I do is stop every two hours (which is what everyone should do) and I take advantage and I do an analysis

tica's profile photo
tica
08/17/2010 4:12 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Yes, ethics, I already said that this is a very particular theory of mine ...
I think that at the beginning of the times of diabetological education, it was taught to adapt insulin based on calories and not based on carbohydrates ...: Shock:
It is clear that my theory is disassembled in mind you make a couple of numbers.

Each is a world and how their body reacts to certain circumstances is something that many times cannot be expected, except with the glucometer.

Paula, but badly I remember the renewal of the card is for 4 years with a favorable medical report.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/17/2010 5:50 a.m.

Yes, renewal is now every 4 years.

I, without making numbers .......... I spend a lot by driving .......... hehehehe

Every two hours I stop, and I measure me, and I almost always accompanied with something, cookies, fruit, etc ...

In my first summer with vacation since the debut I have made about 4000 kms and without any problem.

Greetings.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
08/30/2010 7:25 a.m.

As everyone has said, it is best to control before embarking on the trip.
In December I signed up for the car, but until May I did not start to go to class ... how I moved and so ... I returned to Barcelona to climb the theoretician, when I was doing the medical certificate to the doctor who was looking at meI told him that I am a diabetic, but the doctor did not tell me anything ... and in auto -school either ... to see in the fuestura's here if they tell me something ...

Nita_Wave's profile photo
Nita_Wave
08/30/2010 11:41 a.m.

Hello!!My advice is that you pay attention to all the advice they have given you and everything they have told you to do.Another advice I cannot give you since precisely during this month of August I have had several scares with my hypos and the car, so I am not the best example to follow ...

All the best

piguma's profile photo
piguma
08/30/2010 4:46 p.m.

I believe that if you are more or less controlled, it is not necessarymore nervous so the situation changes.

cabronias's profile photo
cabronias
09/02/2010 7:20 a.m.

Hello, forgive everyone for answering late, thank you for sharing your experiences with me, I will surely get nervous, supernervious, I will already tell you.Kisses

paula's profile photo
paula
09/18/2010 5:03 p.m.

Paula, I am a rookie with this card too (well, soon I take off the l, but it is not that the car has taken a lot precisely) and although everything is already said, I repeat it: nothing has never happened to me.Obviously, I measure the sugar and if I am below 100 I take a reinforcement (half a ration, one ...) and I always have juice with me in the car.The truth is that I am not afraid of him: for me to measure sugar before driving is not a security measure for "what can happen to me", but rather a responsibility that I am aware that I have with others also (that in theWe are not going alone ...)

But what has been said: do not get nervous (that does not help) and take the car without fear but with spare parts in the glove compartment.

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
09/26/2010 9 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.