Tips for maintaining diabetes in summer

flanders's profile photo   07/31/2013 6:12 a.m.

Thirst advises people with diabetes to follow recommendations to avoid complications during and after vacations:

Enjoy food with control .During the holidays, social commitments are multiplied, they eat more away from home and schedules are changed.Food control is recommended for the entire population, but even more in the case of diabetes, especially carbohydrate foods (pasta, semolina, flour, potatoes, rice, legumes, sugary drinks).It is not about depriving these foods, but it is necessary to control the amounts and compensate them during meals and with the practice of physical exercise.

Foods and drinks rich in sugar, always by hand .It is advisable to carry food or drinks rich in sugar (juice, sugar, etc.) to be able to treat hypoglycemia in case it occurs, or to be able to improvise or replace a meal (toast, cookies or fruit) and thus avoid skirting the schedulesusual.

adapted physical exercise .Physical activity changes during the holidays, some people have more time and therefore take care of themselves and increase physical exercise;However, other people relax and become more idle.It is necessary that there be a control of blood glucose levels both before and after exercise to avoid hypoglycemia;In turn, carbohydrate intake must be adapted depending on the intensity and duration of the exercise.

constant hydration .Heat and humidity can cause dehydration.In addition, if high blood glucose levels are high, there is more need to urinate, increase thirst and there is progressive exhaustion.Therefore, it is convenient to drink more water to avoid dehydration and be attentive to hyperglycemia alarm symptoms.

Take care of the health of the feet .To avoid wounds and infections it is recommended to wear closed and comfortable footwear, as well as keep the skin hydrated and check your feet well to detect possible friction on time.

conserve and transport insulin .Medication and material should always be carried by hand and, if traveling by plane, never bill it to prevent it from deteriorating with temperature changes and especially so that it is not lost.

It is necessary to carry a clinical report with the most relevant characteristics of the treatment , where the medication and material that are required according to the trip and the destination are recorded.In addition, this report will serve to justify the need to carry it in hand luggage in airport security controls.

Adjust the treatment to the schedules .On long distance trips, food and treatment should be adjusted to the time difference.Thus, if you travel to the west they earn hours so it may be necessary to add an insulin dose and an intake.In trips east, hours are lost, so it may be necessary to ignore an insulin dose and an intake.In case of using continuous insulin infusion pumps, it is only necessary to change the apparatus time when the destination is reached.And if the treatment consists of oral antidiabetics, no changes are usually required.

vaccines, like all .If countries are visited in which it is necessary to get vaccinated previously, people with diabetes should know that there are no contraindications for suffering from such disease.Therefore, they must follow the same recommendations as the rest of the population.

Children, more attention .Children with diabetes over eight or nine should take the same precautions as adults, but with the youngest ones, precautions mustthe elders.Their glucose levels should be measured at midnight, especially if they have exercised more than usual.

flanders's profile photo
flanders
07/31/2013 6:12 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you very much for the information, sometimes I need to remind me ... This summer has been something Durillo for me since I have fattened a lot and felt bad with myself, although now, I have delugated again, I have made some treatments andI am happier.
I have to learn to live with this, but it is difficult for me ... :(

marisita's profile photo
marisita
10/08/2013 12:26 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I encourage @marisita!, We all spend better and worse times, the important thing is not to fall, if not, know how to get up, and for what you say, you are on the right track, keep it up!;-)

fer's profile photo
fer
10/09/2013 4:36 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.