{'en': 'The diabetic coma What to do?', 'es': 'El coma diabético  ¿Qué hacer?'} Image

The diabetic coma What to do?

fer's profile photo   08/03/2013 9:15 a.m.

Diabetic coma is a medical emergency in which the person with diabetes is unconscious because their blood glucose level (blood glucose) is too high or too low.If the glucose level is very low, the person has a hypoglycemia (& lt; 55 mg/dl) and if the level is very high, it has hyperglycemia (& GT; 200 mg/dl) and can develop a diabetic ketoacidosis.Patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus are especially susceptible to this disorder.

This disorder is considered a serious emergency , during which the person is unconscious due to the excessively high level of blood glucose, and for having too many ketone bodies in the body (diabetic ketoacidosis).

The comma is preceded by a premonitory period of ketoacidosis that lasts a few days.The patient loses appetite (very unusual symptom in diabetics), becomes nervous, suffers insomnia, suffers headaches, and diabetes symptoms become stronger, thirst and urination increase, weight loss is veryNotorious and fast.In some cases intense pains in the abdomen appear, similar to peritonitis or appendicitis.

During a diabetic coma or insulin shock, the affected person can have signs of confusion or incoherence of thought and speech, or simply lose knowledge without apparent reason.The insulin clash appears when the blood glucose is 40 mg/dl or minor, or can be triggered in the insulin -dependent subject, due to excessive exercise, stress, on insulin dosage and due to delays in meals.

first aid before a diabetic coma

- Every diabetic must always bring with them, a plaque or a card that identifies it as such.This measure will be very helpful in case of a diabetic shock.
- The symptoms of the diabetic coma manifest slowly: dry and hot, dry tongue, strange or clumsy behavior, breathing problems and your breath will have a fruity sweet smell.
- The first help to the affected will be - if it is aware - to give sweet drinks, a caramel, a spoonful of sugar, etc.If the person is not aware, medical help is urgent.If not looking for urgent medical attention, this person may be in danger of losing his life.

fer's profile photo
fer
08/03/2013 9:15 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I had one at 9 years of age.
I had been playing all afternoon with my cousins ​​and upon arriving the night my mother click me what I played after doing a test with the urine strips (then there were still no meters), but I almost did not cease even for more who insisted me.Although I drink a glass of milk with cookies and a fruit before I go to bed I spend what I had to happen.
We slept my brother and I in the same room and it was he who saved me because he warned my parents;They found me bouncing literally in bed (like the exorcist's girl) and releasing drool by my mouth;I did not find out anything, they gave me a soda as fast as possible but with difficulty what they called the doctor and then the ambulance (40 km to the hospital at full gas).
I was unconscious a whole day and two more days without being able to speak.I only have vague memories since the second day they asked me something, and despite understanding it I was not able to answer more than yes or no.
I don't know what doctors would do to me because I had a puncture even in the groin but thanks to them and especially my brother I am here today.
My parents did not let in see me until several hours later, I think I was quite annoyed, but hey, it happened.
A few days later I made the first communion and at three days I was in coexistence for diabetic children who lasted 15 days in which I learned everything I had to know and control me alone, it was the best thing my parents could do for me and my futureWith diabetes.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
08/08/2013 7:42 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I was celebrating Christmas with my whole family.I don't know that day because I was strange very tired without eating, etc ...The table ....... Demient my family by calling 061.I is unconscious and aggressive because I didn't want to eat ..... I don't remember anything at all.My family giving me small zumitos with reeds and talking to me trying to swallow ... until I woke up because I already had sugar in the celebration ...... It was terrible with my family.And it happened to my husband at home again so that I would not return for more than 20 minutes, the sugar was suppressed.It was horrible ... I had a fatal.And now I am afraid to get pregnant !!!!!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/09/2013 8:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Cristy I share your situation, it has also happened to me twice as a single and in pregnancy they talk about strict control with their risk of hypos and I think that I am not prepared because I do give me hiccup sleeping that ??

lauriki's profile photo
lauriki
08/22/2013 11:25 a.m.

Hemo (8/2016):5% - Dexcom G4 - Novorapid Penfill + Toujeo

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.