ASDIPAS promotes camp for children with diabetes

fer's profile photo   08/10/2013 8:50 a.m.

For two weeks, 33 young diabetics learn to inject insulin, control their glucose and manage the disease
The type 1, the insulin-dependent, affects 115 children under Asturias in Asturias

Learn to inject insulin, get glucose controls or count the rations of carbohydrates that are ingested daily.But, above all, learn to be more autonomous.This is the objective of the Camp for Children with Diabetes Coordinated by the Association of Diabetics of the Principality of Asturias (ASDIPAS) and the Central University Hospital of Asturias (HUCA).This year it takes place in Belmonte de Miranda, from August 1 to 12, and has the participation of 33 children and young people between 9 and 16 years.About twenty are Asturian, but they have also arrived from places such as Alicante, La Rioja, Galicia and even Tenerife.

Living with a disease such as type 1 diabetes, insulin-dependent, is not complicated if guidelines are established and that is what is tried to teach."The little ones still depend on their parents, but they need to acquire a degree of autonomy that allows them to handle them alone and be able to make decisions about their diet or their treatments," explains Francisco Pérez Lavajos, president of Asdipas.

Edelmiro Menéndez Torre, Head of the HUCA endocrinology and nutrition service, affects that “it is necessary that they themselves know what they can eat and how much, and why it is so, that they put the insulin and even modify it according to whatthat eat or the exercise they do ».

This is the case of Hugo.It comes from Corias, in Cangas del Narcea, and is 11 years old.It is his second camp and is willing to repeat: «They teach me to prick, how to eat and how much.At home I ate much more and something I can't take.I am learning.I didn't like lettuce and now I love it ».

Analytics as soon as we get up
Every morning educational sessions are taught.In addition, the tests to determine blood glucose are constant.It is the first thing they do just get up.The analytics are repeated two hours before eating and two hours later, and the same process with dinner.

But, as in any other camp, there is a second objective that is to live together, and in this case, with people suffering from the same illness."Many do not know any diabetic in their surroundings and here they make friends and feel surrounded," says Francisco Pérez.In addition, it is a good opportunity "to get out of the guardianship of parents who are usually very protective."

Aida is 12 years old and is from Oviedo.He suffers from diabetes from 6 and ensures that he makes a life "just like others."This is an opportunity to meet more children like her, who does not find in her usual environment.Yesterday they received the visit of the Director General of Public Health, Julio Bruno, who wanted to highlight the "excellent work that is done."

In addition, he explained that diabetes is a disease with great prevalence among the population and that the latest indications suggest that "it is shown in an epidemic way and we must try to control it."Only in Asturias, cases of type 1 diabetes (usual in children under 30) reach 598, of which about 115 are under 14 years.

fer's profile photo
fer
08/10/2013 8:50 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

These camps come to them wonderful, there they learn everything they have to know about diabetes and serve them to relate.I was in one at 9 years and it is a great experience for them and very useful.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
08/13/2013 6:48 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.