What indicates the result of "hemoglobin A1"?

DiabetesForo's profile photo   09/23/2010 8:34 a.m.

In the last analysis I have the "HBA1C" outside the normal limits, specifically at 7.2.I know this indicates, the average of the last 3 months.
In the same analysis is that "hemoglobin A1" is at 8.2, that is, within standardized values.And I don't know what it means.It refers to values ​​of the last weeks? Is it something different and has nothing to do with?
Thank you all for your attention,
all the best

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/23/2010 8:34 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

That I know is the same, HBA1C than hemoglobin A1 than glycosylated hemoglobin

The way of measuring glucose concentration in 3 months has several methods and each laboratory used the one that seemed best, this time ago this was changed and the criteria have been unified.
For what you tell, perhaps, in the result they inform you of the measurement of glycosylated hemoglobin through 2 different values ​​because they have calculated it in 2 ways;The curious thing is that one is out of the pre -established values ​​and another does not ... although it is not strange that it occurs.

In this link you have some more information:

DiabetesForo
09/23/2010 10:08 a.m.

I also think it is the same, according to what I know.What I do not understand is that I have always been told that, so that hemoglobin is at a good level, it has to be below 7 and you have been told that 7'2 is outside the normal limits and 8'2It is inside :?

Jorditel's profile photo
Jorditel
09/23/2010 11:25 a.m.

I don't think it's the same.

To which the partner referred to the unification of criteria, I think it is another section that is called, "HBA1C international hemoglobins" and are represented in mmol/mol, in a range that goes from 20 to 42, by the way that this also this also this alsoI have it above normal.I see this logical because it seems that both the "internal" criteria of my hospital, as well as the international-of all hospital laboratories-(at least in this case), they add.

"Hemoglobin A1" has to indicate another type of information, more than anything for the same reasoning that you give, (if it were the same as HBA1C, how will a significantly high value be, and the other within the range??).Ah, and the A1 is represented between values ​​of 6 to 8.5.

Thanks again,

Greetings, I still expect contributions, I can't find anything online.

DiabetesForo
09/23/2010 11:45 a.m.

Well, the truth is that I have no idea but as soon as I speak with my endocrine or my educator, I will ask: shock:

Jorditel's profile photo
Jorditel
09/23/2010 3:39 p.m.

"Glycosylated hemoglobin types

There is glycosylated hemoglobin (HBA1), and also the HBA1C that is more stable, that is, the sudden changes in blood glucose do not influence it. "

I found this on wikipedia ( ).I don't know if more or less will it serve you ... but it seems that there is not much more for the network.

Jorditel's profile photo
Jorditel
09/23/2010 3:48 p.m.

Thanks for the interest Jordi.It is enough for me to know, if that value, (the one that is within the normal margins), refers to the last weeks, it is recently that I have introduced changes in diet and lifestyle.I would like to say it.
7.3 right now I see it until normal.3 months ago, I didn't know I had this.
I said, thank you very much,

DiabetesForo
09/23/2010 4:34 p.m.

You have to look at the A1C, which as they have told you up here, is the "part" or fragment of the HBA1 (the "general" glycosylated hemoglobin).Fraction C is measured because it is the one that best reflects that adhesion of glucose with blood hemoglobin.
Recommended A1C values: below 7%.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
10/01/2010 4:31 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I knew that information Gondrullo.What I do not know is why HBA1 is measured, (the normality range is different from the c), nor how the result is interpreted.
Thanks for the contribution.

DiabetesForo
10/01/2010 5:43 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.