Type 1 diabetes and football

Claudia's profile photo   09/25/2010 2:30 p.m.

Hello everyone!

My brother suffers from type 1 diabetes for 4-5 years, they were diagnosed when he was 19 years old.He is an athlete boy and has never had weight problems or anything like that.

He loves football, but every time he plays the same thing happens to him, he starts playing in 80 glucose and the second “sprin” shoots his sugar and cannot continue playing “because the muscles do not respond”.I guess this will have to do with aerobic or anaerobic sports, because for example swimming is doing very well.

But he is passionate about football and leaving him would be for him how to take his life.

Can you give me some advice?I know of diabetic professional soccer players, so there must necessarily be some type of "ritual" so that this does not happen.

(When sugar goes up, insulin becomes, but by the time it takes effect and is recomposed of muscle fatigue, the game ends).

Thank you so much :-)
PS: I don't know if it's a fact to consider or not, but the insulins he uses are novorapid and lantus.

Claudia's profile photo
Claudia
09/25/2010 2:30 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The truth is that when I exercise, glycemia always goes down quickly, I just have to worry about taking rapid action hydrates every time and even suppressing some dose of insulin, the truth that each diabetic is a world and every equal body,Does your child get very nervous when playing?Nervous stress also affects glycemic levels.

david29's profile photo
david29
09/25/2010 9:54 p.m.

Lantús 0-22-0 Novorapid 3-7-0
Hemo 7

I think that most professional athletes carry insulin bomb, it is the most exact way to calculate insulin ..... on the other hand you have to do at least 6-7 daily glymia controls ...

To do sports, you have to mix fast hydrates together with slow hydrates ... for example, juice+cookies.If you only take the body fast absorbs them very fast and you are left with nothing in a short time.

The greatest danger is ketosis (it usually appears with glycemias above 250) there is no insulin in the body and reacts burning fat, and this combustion if it is maintained for a while is toxic to the body.

As for routines, each is a world and reacts to food in a way.Adam Morrison.
Rafa Nadal, 1 minute before starting playing is taken by glucose ... although he does not have diabetes.
Everything is a matter of finding that of each one and that is achieved with essay/error, making many glycemia and pointing everything that happens to be able to make decisions and learn from what happens.

Options:
- Download 1 or 2 units of Lantus the day you play
- Measure before playing and depending on how to add slow and fast hydrates, always of the 2 but varying the amounts depending on glycemia
- If you play living soccer, the changes are frequent so you can take small sips of drinks and even get a blood glucose
- With Levemir it is easier to modify dose because it can be put in 2 daily injections ... if you are willing to prick 1 more time it may be an option.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/26/2010 4:46 a.m.

The truth that when I exercise the blood glucose always lowThe truth is that each diabetic is a world and each body the same, does your child get very nervous when playing?Nervous stress also affects glycemic levels.

It can be what you say, my brother lives so much that he gets half hysterical, perhaps the solution is to give him value ... hahaaa

Claudia's profile photo
Claudia
09/26/2010 8:46 a.m.

First thank you very much.

Mixing rapid and slow hydrates can be a good option, always take these super sweet juices and they may give it hyperglycemia.

Anyway in the options you propose are when they give hypoglycemia, right?Because if the dose of Lantus goes down it will be even higher ... in the thread of the first answer, I think the problem lies in his nervousness.

We will test different things, try error.

Thank you very much for your answers !!!:-)

Claudia's profile photo
Claudia
09/26/2010 8:51 a.m.

Theoretical "norms" indicate that it is always convenient - in the function of the intensity of sport - to go to several things;Insulin, usual food and extra feeding.
Insulin refers to the fact that, simply, if it is a scheduled exercise and we know of its intensity, depending on it and the duration, it will have to be played with the insulin of the previous food (the lantus is not touched unless you goto do something bestial, such as marathon).How much do you have to lower insulin?
On the other hand, habitual food refers to the fact that we must make a higher contribution of HC in food prior to that physical exercise.Again how much we eat will depend on what sport we do, on the time it will be done, etc.
And finally, extra food refers to a specific contribution that is made before sport.Normally if the exercise is moderately short, and if the previous glucose figures are good, they are usually HC of rapid absorption.And if on the contrary the sport to be done is long duration (such as a football game) and continuous and prolonged energy consumption, since it is convenient to go to HC of slow absorption (cereal bars, starches ...), which allow us to have "reserves "and do not cause an instant peak.

Of course, we must also take into account the time at which exercise is practiced, and ensure that it is in "valley" of fast insulin.

In my case, for example, the closest thing I've done to a football game is the outflows on the road bike.Now I make Indoor bike (age does not forgive), but being in the morning, my breakfast was very strong in HC, I put less insulin (the amount depends on each one) and during the trip, I watched me when I could, in addition,of providing a quick HC to maintain glycemia at security levels.Of course, when I got home after those walks (about 70-80 km, with one or two ports), I put me less insulin in food and ate more bread HC.That allowed me that the subsequent hours of recovery of muscle glycogen would not give me the traditional post-support downs.

I hope I have helped you a little.
But as you see, everything is very relative, because each one will need a particular guideline.You must try yours until you find one that does well.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/30/2010 11:36 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.