Scared of a 2 -year -old baby with diabetes

lucialva's profile photo   09/28/2010 2:35 p.m.

Hello, I tell you my sad story, I am a housewife mom that I have two children a 7 -year -old girl and a 2 and a half boy. This August I decided to return to work and the children went to the town with the grandparents.The last week from Thursday the child began to find very tired, he drunk a lotFor them and took it to the emergency room to the hospital, from there is the worst time of my life, they did urine analysis and when they had the results they quickly entered me, I had 689 of sugar in blood I did not know if thatIt was a lot or that he did not know any diabetes, there were transferred to another hospital because they had to enter the pediatrica and there were not there and sent us to the hospital Madrid Torrelodones a wonder of hospital and people there are there, as soon as we arrivedThey put an insulin pump and they fell down and there were 15 days. They taught me to click, the food and everything to know but inside my heart there has been a sadness that I can not remove, I do not know ifIt will be normal or what.

lucialva's profile photo
lucialva
09/28/2010 2:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello Marta

Yes, it is very normal to be sad, disconsolate, that you cry, that you are scared .... the weird and worrying thing would be that you were not.
Your child has a chronic disease and that is not good news.
Within the bad, diabetes is not a deadly disease (here in Spain and in 2010) ... Insulin did not exist and your son or I would have probably died.
Today we can do most of "normal" things (climbing Everest is not normal).

During the first year, parents have a fatal ... depression is usually normal (that's what psychologists are for, go to them if you need it) in many cases.

Children usually need much less time to adapt ... in a very short time they assume their new situation, think that for them anything is new and they are accustomed to many new changes and things daily.

You have come to the ideal site, here there are a lot of fathers/mothers with a lot of experience and that have passed (and pass) exactly because of the same as you.

Everyone goes ahead, so I don't see any cause for which you don't get it.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/28/2010 3:10 p.m.

Hi Marta,

I started with this disease with three years and being so small I still remember my mother without sticking an eye, of the first hypoglycemia at home and my mother without knowing what to do.He came every day to the nursery to do an analysis in the middle of the morning and although she triedAnd normal what happens to you and what happened to my mother and all mothers with diabetic children :)!

I can tell you that with 3 years I was able to not try the sweets they gave us for birthdays and did not have a bad time.Now, with 26 years I find it more to give up the candy.As a child you get used to everything and without considering that because this happened to me and that it is unfair is life (those thoughts will come when it is much older)

Now I did not give up anything, with 16 years I left two summers "alone" (without my parents) to Ireland to the house of a family who had no idea what diabetes was and when I taught them the injection of glucagon almost gives them aheart attack.I have made the Camino de Santiago three times and several crossings for the Pyrenees.With 9 and 10 years I was on a basketball campus (which I was not related to diabetes), here there was a person who contracted me a little, but we are going that with that age I already managed to stop them alone.

What I want to tell you, is that it is normal what you are happening, but you will see that normally carrying the diabetes, taking care of what is necessary day by day will not have problems doing what you want and to be "a normal child" as I told meMy mother !!

tica's profile photo
tica
09/29/2010 4:18 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hello Marta.
I am another mom who had a bad time.My son debuted with 10 years and from the first moment he assumed him better than us.He teaches us with his day to day that is a disease that can get along very well.
Angel was also admitted to the Madrid Torrelodones hospital.You are right when you say they are great people.I wanted to ask you if the endocrine amparo takes.At that time it was the one in that hospital.Today Angel continues with her (I think there is no pediatric endocrine) and it passes the Monteprincipe.She is a woman who knows very well what she does.Where are you from ?If you need anything you know where I am.
You'll see that you are proud of you will be about your baby soon.They are incredible.

DiabetesForo
09/29/2010 4:39 a.m.

Hi Marta, Welcome !!!!
My daughter debuted with 5 years, today she has 12, she has already rained since then and how different everything looks.How is it going to be hard to tell you that your child has a chronic disease?, the good thing about this is that as they have commented, our children can develop perfectly and make an almost normal life and say almost because limitations are, of course ...
Stop for the thread of "parents" that is within the section "Looking for someone."There we wrote a few parents (almost all mothers), and several with little children like yours.You will see how from now on everything will be much easier for you.

Courage and kisses to the little one.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
09/29/2010 5 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Hi Marta,
Another mother, as Owash told you, here we are many.
My daughter debuted with 22 months and I know perfectly what you are happening.With time and help if you need it, everything is softened and you start seeing things differently.Always think that your child needs you and needs you to be well to take care of him.I am glad to have the bomb from the first moment, of course it is the best method and takes away a lot of suffering with punctures.
In the forum I am looking for someone ... there is a thread of parents, there we are fathers and mothers of children with diabetes of all ages, stop that surely help and do not hesitate to ask, count, consult ... anysomething you need.
Courage and a little kiss for you and your little one.

DiabetesForo
09/29/2010 5:01 a.m.

Hi Marta, what are you?
Well welcome to Club X say something, my 4 -year -old son debuted on June 2 X what you know, my son TB was three days in the ICU and gave us 24 hours of life, all because they did not know how to detect himWhat I had and that that the symptoms were clear, but what is clear is that it has touched us and that we have to try to get it as well as possible for them because they see us suffering and they are not yet aware of what is happening but they are givenAccount of what they see, x that muxo cheerful and a kiss

mariape's profile photo
mariape
09/29/2010 5:30 a.m.

Marten:
I am not a mother (the day will come) but I debuted with 6 years and it was my mother who took me to the emergency room (790 glucose and I eating a squid sandwich !!!!).
They entered me and after many lancetas, analysis, sera ..... They explained to my mother that it was diabetic (what an disgust I took when he told me that I could not eat candies !!!).
How many times had to take me to the emergency room with a hypoglycemic coma.
How many mornings had to stay at home because I had 400 glucose and did not stop returning.
How many times I had to look for school .....
All this alone.
And of all those times I never saw her scared or worried (she would be more than anyone but he did not let him see).
Thanks to her I always took a normal life and never stopped doing anything (excursions, sport, camps, birthdays ...).
I can't stop thanking him because he knew how to educate a very young girl so she didn't feel that she was a different "tad" to others.

Ana82's profile photo
Ana82
09/29/2010 7:27 a.m.

Marta, welcome home.

I am also the mother of a diabetic girl.Mine debuted with 8 years and now is 16. And I have the dubious honor of having the daughter who has given the good people of this forum, for her "peculiarities."
Now it seems that the worst is happening.Anyway, a little sense of humor helps enough to face problems.

Health

DiabetesForo
09/29/2010 9:06 a.m.

Welcome Marta, encouragement.

A kiss

Cloud

Nube's profile photo
Nube
09/29/2010 3:35 p.m.

Diagnosticada en Agosto del 2009, solicite la curva de glucosa, diabetes melitus II, actualmente tomo Jentadueto, dos al día. Glicosilada 6,4

Welcome to the forum, I hope we can help you clarify doubts!

Greetings,
Fer.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/21/2010 2:57 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hi Marta, I am a mother of a 13 -year -old girl diagnosed on June 5.It was admitted 5 days, and this forum is helping us a lot.It is difficult to assimilate that our lives changed that day, on the recommendation of the pediatrician today we have a visit with the psychologist, do not be afraid to ask for help.A hug and many spirits !!!!

RocioLlinares's profile photo
RocioLlinares
06/29/2015 5:54 p.m.

Mamá de María. 15 años. Diagnósticada 05/06/2015
Humalog
Tresiba
@RocioLlinares
Última hemo 6,1

My son debuted a couple of months ago with 18 months , it is disgusting, I already tell you, because you see it so small and already thinking about his food and clicking, controlling what he eats ....

The good thing I can tell you is that he is happy , you eat the green olives as if nothing is hungry and cannot eat hydrates.

In the end you do everything, I shut up the world at my feet, little by little you are assuming it, and as nobody tell you dies of diabetes, and you see that there are people who debut very young and are healthy and doingA full life.

You can request the pump, perhaps for your age it is the best.My son carries her, and to put the doses so small that he has insulin is the best.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
07/09/2015 11 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.