A tiny device could control blood sugar

DiabetesForo's profile photo   10/06/2010 4:45 a.m.

Madrid, Oct 5 (Europa Press) -

Researchers from the Institute of Industrial Science of the University of Tokyo (Japan) have designed a scarcely invasive glucose control device that quickly provides continuous measures of blood glucose levels when they were implanted in mice ears.

People with diabetes use especially the puncture method in the finger yolk to collect blood samples for glucose control.However, this method usually requires that people are awake and only provide specific measures of sugar levels.

The researchers, led by Shoji Takeuchi, manufactured injectable microcapsules wrapped with a glucose -sensitive fluorescent dye that provides a continuous reading of glucose levels measured from the intensity of fluorescence that is recorded through the skin.

The authors implemented the microcapsules under the skin of the ear of mice whose blood glucose levels were altered experimentally.Then, they compared the glucose levels calculated from the fluorescence with the measurements directly of blood samples.

The microcapsules provided reliable measures of glucose levels without visibly affecting the health of mice during the 30 days that were controlled by this method.

The researchers point out that since fluorescent microcapsules do not require external links or energy sources to provide reading, they could be used to manufacture minimally invasive glucose sensors for people who must follow continuous control of their blood glucose levels.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/06/2010 4:45 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I think the progress is great ... but I don't finish seeing me with the green phosphorite ears shining in the middle of the night ....: Mrgreen:

In the end, one or the other, they will get it.

Thanks for the information.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
10/06/2010 11:14 a.m.

Sip, this news has been regularly for some time ... :?

Microcapsules could be nourished by hyperglycemia as a source of energy ... put to ask for

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/06/2010 12:37 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.