{'en': 'How to understand my boyfriend with diabetes', 'es': 'Como entender a mi novio con diabetes'} Image

How to understand my boyfriend with diabetes

elizabeth's profile photo   01/06/2014 5:20 a.m.

Hello,

I am Elizabeth and I have three months with my boyfriend but I am a person that I like to pay attention to me and that they are with me and he is very reserved with his illness he has depressed himself and sometimes he feels alone, I want to know what I can do forTry to understand him and help him.

I would very much appreciate your opinion.

Thank you!!

elizabeth's profile photo
elizabeth
01/06/2014 5:20 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You don't give us too much information, but see that your boyfriend has been with the disease for a short time, it is in the stage in which it costs to admit it.It is normal, and as time passes it will assume it and for it it will be easier to communicate and talk about it.
At the moment, in my opinion, you should not press him, not to overwhelm him, be attentive in case he needs something, be comprehensive, not give excessive importance to the subject and let his behavior evolve to reasonable guidelines, which will come.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/06/2014 7:13 a.m.

Hi Elisabeth!A year ago I am diabetics like that I will tell you according to my experience ... before all you will have to be patient, especially at the beginning.Diabetes is a disease that affects your social life ... basically because we have the culture of gathering to eat ... Tapas ... go wine ... That is at first complicated.The most important thing is that you try that this problem does not cancel everything else ... Over time you will learn to play with insulin and those capricious k can now occur.He has the right to be sad, and above all this is like a duel ... he has to pass it, so he will go better.You have to try to make a hole to diabetes in your life, but K is not the center of it.I hope you do well and you will see that in a few months everything will be different.

AnNa's profile photo
AnNa
01/06/2014 7:16 a.m.

Hi @elizabeth, welcome to the forum, I recommend you look up to these issues:

Link has-diabetes-que-puedo-hacer#item_1

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
01/06/2014 11:52 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

As you have told you, patience.
All disease must be assimilated, some assimilate it fast, and others take longer, and there are even those who never assimilate it, these are the worst.
I would recommend, do not overwhelm him, but do not stop asking him how he takes it, because he may think you don't worry about him, we all like to worry about us.
I do not know, simply, ask him a couple of times in week for example, but more to say do not take this or this will not sit well, I would tell you rather that you ask you about the information of the disease, that you see that you are interested in the subject, in the end I believe (I do not know him) that he would open to you normally, but above all do not overwhelm him, and when he wants to change conversation because he is uncomfortable with the subject, leave him and change the conversation.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/10/2014 6:25 a.m.

Being a lot of patience is a disease that although you can make almost normal life it costs to admit it to the beginning and talk about it but little by little it will cost you less by Anima and do not press it :)

otti's profile photo
otti
01/31/2014 5:38 p.m.

Hi Elizabeth, I agree with what others say, be patient.I had a distance relationship of almost two years with a guy -type diabetes boy and I take 6 months to tell me that it was diabetic.It is a disease that changes people's lives but from what I see you are doing well because I see that you are trying to seek help to solve the problem.Show him that you are interested and talk about this forum, if it is new it will help you and if you already have a time with the sick then you may give advice to others or perhaps make friends and open a little more.My advice to you is that you always stay by your side, give your support and be patient and show that you want to know more about what your life is diabetic and above all give all the positive love.This kind of diseases tend to depress people a lot, so it is good that he knows that you love him and that you will be there for always.

corina's profile photo
corina
02/09/2014 1:37 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.