And inheritance ??

IMADIS's profile photo   10/27/2010 4:04 p.m.

Well, since I am taking this to talk to you about our fears, and doubts, I would like to introduce you another, that scares me and I can't find a clear answer online.

What will happen when the day of being a father comes?Do you have all the tickets my children to follow in your father's footsteps?From birth?AT THE YEARS?never?What is that to type 1 diabetics, jumps a line in the family, that is, my grandson will have more possibilities?

I am the first family member, that we have been able to reach in our small family tree, which is diabetic, but now the ban has been opened?

I think I'm in the right place to discover what can happen.I see that there are many daddies of diabetic children here, but there are diabetic parents with diabetic children too?

Thank you!

IMADIS's profile photo
IMADIS
10/27/2010 4:04 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello,

It is not yet known what is the inheritance pattern of type 1 diabetes although it is known that it is associated with the DR and DQ genes of the histocompatibility system.

Although there is a certain genetic factor that predisposes to diabetes, other factors have to be given for it to be triggered (environmental factors, viruses ...) proof of this is that in cases of diabetes in twins (exactly the same genetic information), the two brothers will not necessarily have diabetes although the probability that the brother who does not have it ends up developing it increases.

According to a study by the Joslin Clinic, the chances of developing diabetes when another family has them are the following:

- Immediate familiar (father, brother, child) has diabetes, the possibilities of developing diabetes increase between 10 and 20% (depending on the degree of kinship) with respect to a person who does not have this factor.
- If a girl develops type 1 diabetes, her brothers increase their possibilities by 10%.
- If parents are diabetic: diabetic father, the risk of developing diabetes for the child is 10% (as if their brother), if the mother is the risk ranges between 1 and 4% depending on the age ofThe mother when the child is born.It will also depend on the age of these parents when they developed diabetes.& lt; 11 years High risk, & GT; 11 years lower risk.

On the other hand, someone's predisposition to have diabetes can be prevented to some extent due to the presence or absence of autoantibodies (antibodies that destroy B cells).Now, today and knowing that type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented even if you detect these antibodies in time, I as a diabetics, I do not know if I would like to know and live always thinking that your child has x % of being diabetic or lettingevents as they want to come and work accordingly.

As you can see, apart from the genetic predisposition that exists is a lottery and in my opinion you can not be conditioning the decision to have children or that 10% probabilities.There are many other diseases in the world who, without having a history and by pure lottery they can also touch anyone and do not consider the fact of whether or not you have children, or live waiting for your child to develop any of them, although that as all is a decision of each one.

If you want more information you can find it in .

I hope the information serves you and you know if you have more doubts ask :)

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
10/27/2010 7:05 p.m.

Thank you very much for the info, the truth is that it has helped me, since 10% is not a high percentage, we go as you say, you can develop any other disease.Well, it's a relief, really.It must be very hard to have a diabetic son since childhood, and I as a father because I would feel helpless and guilty for having transferred the disease.Of course, I prefer to have it that my future child has it.Of course, it cannot be ruled out either.My wife is convinced that she will be diabetic, and it's like a weight on my back.

I'm going to read p.Web that you have sent me and learn a little more.

IMADIS's profile photo
IMADIS
10/28/2010 5:18 p.m.

Hello imadis

Here are another link, this one in Spanish:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/28/2010 5:24 p.m.

Hello imadis,

I think that the last thing you have to do is feel guilty, if not the feeling of guilt will not let you live happy and what is worse your son (or future son in this case) will notice.
It seems that no, many times we believe that children do not realize those things, but the way a father carries the diagnosis phase and the subsequent day to day will influence an important way on how the child takesHis illness.
If the parents naturally take it the child will take it naturally, if the parents overprotegen (a quite widespread trend) or show their concern/guilt/suffering in front of him, the child when he leaves home will try to avoid these reactions and theseSituations of overprotection by teachers, friends ... and you will hide your diabetes and what is worse will do to demonstrate to the rest of the world and itself that is not different.
To blame oneself or in front will not help at all, things must be accepted as they are given to us and act accordingly, and we will see, we are talking about diabetes, not the end of the world.I certainly give me to choose from other diseases that are seen around and diabetes, I keep diabetes with my eyes closed.
I speak to you from the point of view of daughter, not as a father (maybe a father reads this and is in total disagree with me, I do not discuss it), but I think that as they said out there in other posts, the head in thecase of diseases and specifically in that of diabetes that occupies us now, a long time ago (I do not mean that the head is the culprit of diabetes, if not, it is the one that handles the way to accept it and take it), and it is the responsibility of the parents to make this see the children.In the case of a diabetic father who knows the situation for having lived in his own flesh I think that this responsibility is even greater and what a child sees in his parents is what will assimilate of his illness, therefore all these feelings of guilt/suffering/non -acceptance do nothing more to make the child more vulnerable to diabetes.

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
10/28/2010 7:33 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.