Weight exercises in type 2 diabetes ... ???

Charly's profile photo   11/06/2010 8:34 p.m.

Hello, I have type 2 diabetes for about 20 years, I have 48 now ...;I only take oral medication and do diet and exercise ... My glucose levels are a bit high, varied between 160 and 200 g.When I have overweight I have proposed to go down to my normal weight and I exercise at home because my work (reprograph and informatic) does not allow menormal (10 kilometers) and then I make about 20 minutes of weights to harden;As I am fond of this I have informed myself a lot and I do them in moderation (little weight, a simple routine, I control the pulsations, etc, etc.) but I am not sure if it is dangerous for a diabetic this type of exercise ...More than anything because of the capillaries, eyes, heart, etc, etc. In Hispanic forums, however they ensure that weight exercises are highly recommended for diabetics ... but I have my doubts ... the truth is until nowIt has been very good (I've been low weight for almost two months) I have the glucose lower than ever ... but I have my doubts ... could anyone tell me if this type of sport harms me?Thanks and greetings.

Charly's profile photo
Charly
11/06/2010 8:34 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Exercise is mandatory for all diabetes patients.

The recommended is usually low or moderate intensity and long duration exercises.
More desirable is the daily continuity than the variable intensity, that is, more than 1 hour ago walking every day than 3 weekly sessions of 2 hours running.

If you have a good metabolic control, the exercise with weights is not harmful, provided you do it in moderation, as you have commented: little weight, repetitions ... and combine it with other type of exercise such as the bike ... the idea is to combineAlso the cardiovascular benefit that swimming, the bike, running ... with the benefit of glycemic control.

With a bad metabolic control, the possibilities of having complications (eyes, kidney etc) increase ... First the microvascular complications appear, in small blood vessels of eyes and kidneys ... very reactive physical efforts can cause blood accumulation in those glasses in those glassesso small and create serious problems.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/07/2010 3:53 a.m.

What I understand is that every aerobic exercise is perfect, both to lower weight and diabetes.
This type of duration exercise is advisable, if possible greater than one hour.
I practice road cycling and I can assure you that the benefits are immediate and fabulous on my diabetes.

antoni's profile photo
antoni
11/07/2010 1:16 p.m.

... In Hispanic forums however they ensure that weight exercises are highly recommended for diabetics ...

That is false.The authentically recommended for a person with diabetes is that of aerobic, sustained effort, average duration (greater than 30 minutes) and high periodicity (if possible, every day).I would generally say that weights are allowed for a diabetic only if it is well controlled and has no microvascular complications, and always with moderate intensity, avoiding the "bad" of weights;The Valsalva maneuver (increased pressure).
I would do weights only with a muscle toning goal, instead of looking for muscle hypertrophy.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
11/07/2010 4:24 p.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.