{'en': 'Concern, I have read things online about diabetes that scare.', 'es': 'Preocupación, he leído cosas por internet sobre la diabetes que asustan.'} Image

Concern, I have read things online about diabetes that scare.

ManuLC92's profile photo   11/13/2010 3:02 p.m.

Hello.

I am 18 years old and I was diagnosed with diabetes at 12. I am new in the forum and I decided to enter because it is a very useful way to ask for advice etc.

Lately I am quite worried about the disease.

I have started medicine this year, a change of airs, I enter the University, where I have to be responsible for everything because there are no longer the parents there at all times to take an eye.

Finding things about diabetes on the Internet has caused me a monumental disgust, things like almost 100% of type I diabetics have complications (nephropathy, retinopathy ...) they scare me.

Sometimes I imagine me without vision or having to make dialysis and I see it so horrible ...

I start making useless calculations of the time that could be in relatively healthy conditions (because of clear diabetes) based on mere and simple statistics that do not have to meet, but I cannot avoid it.And I think, 6 years of career, why will I end up blind or other complications?

I live, like you with the hope that they will get a cure, but I have almost despised it because the pharmaceutical companies do not compensate them and neither did I incamp on imposing health over money ...

In recent years he did not carry a good control of diabetes, with stress, assaults on the pantry for anxiety, lack of awareness and everything was complicated ...

Now I have glycosylated hemoglobin 6.9, I lowered a point with respect to the last one, I exercise more, but I do not stop thinking about what can happen and I obsess with things like I see bad) ...

My family tells me that with control nothing has to happen, but sometimes I think they can't understand me because they do not suffer from the disease and they do not pursue the wolf.

Thank you very much for your help.

ManuLC92's profile photo
ManuLC92
11/13/2010 3:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Manu, be calm that with good control (hemo less than 7), complications take many years to arrive and minimize a lot.
My daughter has diabetes since the age of 5, now she has 22 and is in 5th race, and has no complication;Neither microalbuminuria, nor microaneurisms, nor anything.
Study quiet so you can work on what you like and win your life well, and think that the improvement of treatments in complications greatly increases life expectancy and will continue to increase it.If one day a renal transplant is needed, it is done jointly with that of pancreas and the diabetes disappears.
A hug and be optimistic: D

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/13/2010 4:01 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hi Manu, you have to be calm, if you carry good control, nothing has to happen, I have been with diabetes for almost 20 years and I have never had any complication you just have to adapt a little to meals and take it well controlled and you will see howEverything goes on wheels

barry's profile photo
barry
11/13/2010 4:21 p.m.

Hi Manu!
Man, you can not live bitter for those things either.End, you can't live thinking about those things, it is not worth it at all.Bad, but that very badly treated .... so taking care of yourself, nothing has to happen.... And nothing, that I am myopic, just a little, but Weno, with some glasses solved, I don't have to be blind.

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
11/13/2010 4:53 p.m.

Manu, welcome home.

Do you know how many years can you live without complications?ALL.

Complications are the consequence of years of bad control, or null control.They occur much more in type 2 diabetics, who spend years without being diagnosed and without treatment, or that often skip it.

In this forum there are people who have been with diabetes for many years, most type 1, and there are very few complications.And this despite the fact that his first years of diabetics were very different from the current ones: there were no glucometers, insulins were much more difficult to handle, etc.

And despite this, there are people like my wedding godfather, who was type 1 diabetic and who died with 80 years without even using glasses.

Do not overwhelm for complications that you can perfectly avoid or minimize.Worry about having good control and voila.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/13/2010 7:14 p.m.

Do you study medicine and do you think about pharmaceutical ones ???: Shock :: Shock:
You are closing work possibilities ... Apart that is not so ...

In Spain, strong and quality research is public, with funds and public staff ... so much so that it has just made a movement to raise private funds that help diabetes research, led by Dr. Gomis
In the USA, private foundations are those that do research, mostly suffered by private donations ...

The only pharmaceutics that has to lose with the healing of diabetes would be Novonordisk ... the rest have enough diversification in their business.

As for complications, UKPDS study:

Sangoogle can give you the original study, in case you are interested.

DiabetesForo
11/14/2010 4:14 a.m.

Thanks for answering!

Yes, I know several diabetics that have been without complications for more than 20 years ... but as complications are sometimes considered inevitable after relatively many years of progress of the disease ..., of course I am scared, because if that "much"They were 50 years old, but there are 20 or 25 ... Well, I still fit even being young.Anyway, you are right when you say that before the control and means for the control of diabetes were much more precarious (there were no glucometers ... etc) and these "statistics" may go back considering situations such as those ofThe 80s, but now, with insulin administration bombs, more precise and accessible glucometers, new types of insulin (Lantus ...) that are no longer pork but of human ... etc. etc. can make that statistic change.I try to carry things well, but many times I make mistakes.For example, how do you do a lot of anxiety not to chop anything?It is that I find it impossible, I realize that I am diabetic when I already have the cookie in my mouth :( especially it happens to me when I study, now I go to the library but other times I cannot and I do not stop going to the kitchen... Do you have any trick?
Thank you.

ManuLC92's profile photo
ManuLC92
11/14/2010 2:12 p.m.

You can eat what you want whenever you then put the insulin you need.Of course, he tries not to spend much because if the overweight does not come:?

DiabetesForo
11/14/2010 6:46 p.m.

I live, as you hope that they will get a cure, but I have almost despised it because the pharmaceutical companies do not compensate them and neither much did not incamp on imposing health over the money...
I do not want to sin conspiracy, but I think that pharmaceutics compensates for more than we continue with our illness than to discover a cure.
They are more interested in controlling our diabetes than to cure it, so we are slaves of their medications in eternum.

antoni's profile photo
antoni
11/16/2010 9:52 a.m.

Manu: Do not worry in excess, it is logical that these thoughts assail you, your concentrate on maintaining good control, do not weigh much of the existing statistics, there are currently technological means that did not even dream a few years ago, for exampleThe continuous glucose meter, something that I do not get tired of defending, even more than the insulin bomb, because with it it is very easy to keep the hem between 6 and 7, but of course it costs a lot of pasta and is not yet paid by all theAutonomous communities, but little by little I think it will be achieved.

Owash: Dr.gomis is the one that will soon try a vaccine in children and adolescents at risk of type I diabetes?I am very interested, could you put more information?Thanks

mornita's profile photo
mornita
11/16/2010 3:11 p.m.

Hi Manu,

I have been almost 26 of diabetics and 0 complications for 25 years.My control has not always been good, there have been better times and other worse and without a doubt I believe that the worst were the first years of faculty, lack of control of schedules, anxiety, hours and hours in front of the books with the consequent visits toThe fridge ... now with the new types of insulins, meters, bombs ... It is much easier and if you also do periodic controls to detect complications in time in the event that they are given, because the probabilities decrease considerably.

As for the attacks on the fridge ... it is complicated, some will have to be done that if not the hours of study become eternal;) ​​and to kill the boredom because chewing, Coca Cola, water and study in a library or with morepeople.

Owash, I don't know how the issue of public research will go in Spain, but I do know the world of private research (work in a company that is dedicated to clinical research) and of course it moves a lot of money, you work with researchers, hospitalsand public institutions but the capital and promoters of the investigation are private.It is also true and to break a spear in favor of the laboratories that we often distrust them and we think that this or that medicine is very expensive and that they are enriching themselves to our coast (something of course: d) but we do not take into accountThe amount of money that has been spent not only in developing the molecule/s that this medication carries, but in all the molecules that have remained on the road until they reach that and the years of research that have been needed to reachThe packaged medication as they sell it to us in the pharmacy.Also, since today things are as they are we have no choice but to settle for what we have that is not little compared to other diseases for those who have nothing.

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/16/2010 5:37 p.m.

Hello everyone, what reason is Antoni, exactly, they are not interested and are enriching themselves with this matter.A close person of mine came to tell me that "I am a burden for the State", I did not know what to say, I even believed it, and I felt bad, but thinking and thinking I came to the conclusion of what I have said before, every diseaseIt is business, unfortunately. "But as we have to have waiting for sure that there are good and fighter unbestigating people for this and so many diseases, it knows me badly to say it, worse than ours.We, at least we know that taking care, and loving ourselves, above all, we will last a lot.
And I tell Manu, that you are encouraged, that in this way you encourage us.! To take care of yourself and that your career is doing well.
On the 26th I go to the vampire and on December 2 I will know the Hemo, I have 8.9 I have lowered me.
I am better encouragement.
Greetings to all

Consu's profile photo
Consu
11/18/2010 1:05 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

I link an interview with Enrique Roche, one of the best diabetes researchers in Spain.

The title is quite revealing:
Link ... s-enfermos

DiabetesForo
11/18/2010 1:15 p.m.

Gracia Owash, he has printed to read it well and indeed! We will overcome! And we have hope Adeuuu :))

Consu's profile photo
Consu
11/18/2010 1:27 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

Hello!
I understand perfectly how you feel, I feel like this occasionally, and every year that passes with diabetes I cannot prevent me from going through my head: how long will it stay before any complication appears?But then I realize that worrying is of no use, you have to enjoy and if we are controlled the possibilities of complications are reduced ... and in relation to finding a cure, I think we are very far from that day, but to theLess and more devices appear that help us better control.
Some time ago I met a doctor who had been with diabetes for 40 years and had no complication ... On the other hand I know people who have almost never taken care of, 25, 23 years old, who since the age of 7 or 12They do not have a glycosylated hemoglobin that approaches 7 ... for now they have no complication but I am sure they will have it, since nothing is taken care of!
I study nursing, and now I am at a cardiology plant ... half of the patients are diabetic, but all of type II and with several associated diseases, except one that I met type I, who was 70 years old and had toAmpute the leg.The truth is that it shocked me enough to live that experience, since I am also diabetic type I ... for what I read, I had been a smoker for many years and had had a bad control of blood glucose ...

With the chopping between hours ... I always carry cookies in my bag, and only if I notice hypoglycemic me as ... the truth is that I do not passionate my cookies because whenever I am low it is what like, andI get a lot, so I have to change ... what I love, for example, is pizza, but I get not out of control because I know how much and when I should click.If I feel like eating anything sweet, I eat it, and then I put insulin ... I do not forbid anything at the moment, because not every day or every week I feel like eating sweet, but if one day I feel like it I feel like ithow and I put insulin ... :)
Do what you decide but do not feel bad about what you have decided, that is what you have to do.

Greetings, that everything goes well, future optional!: P

María2542006's profile photo
María2542006
11/20/2010 1:27 p.m.

It does not seem bad to me to be afraid, because that is the first requirement to respect the disease.If a general minimizes the power of his enemy, the war almost has lost.That said, and based on the basis that ocular affectation is inevitable in a diabetic that has a reasonable life expectancy, (when you study pathological anatomy you will understand why), between retinal affectation and blindness there are many phases or degrees.Of course, the best way to avoid it is to keep hemoglobin at bay.
I have had many very poorly controlled patients who have reached very serious retinopathy and, once they have been correctly treated, they have preserved vision for 20 and 25 years and still keep it.Much more if the control of the disease is rigorous and retinopathy does not pass from initial phases.
As for the possibility of a cure for diabetes, I have no doubt that it will be.I have exercised medicine for 41 years and advances have been so extraordinary, that with the knowledge I acquired in the Faculty, I could not have exercised beyond 15 years.Without going any further, the glycosylated HB that today seems so normal, did not even appear in the books I studied.Of course, if I had to bet in favor of a diabetes cure, I would invest all my savings.Dare and become a good doctor, who always takes

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
07/10/2017 11:55 a.m.

@"Manulc92" I have been diabetic type I for 20 years, I started at 10 and time I am 30 years old, and I have no complications of any kind and, like all here, I have passed better and worse stages, but my control has been onlinegeneral very good since childhood.I am like anyone without diabetes.With good control it does not have to have complications, calm!

JPR's profile photo
JPR
07/10/2017 12:22 p.m.

30 años. Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 10
Medtronic Minimed 640g
NovoRapid
hA1c: 6%
Sensor Enlite

Hi Manu:
I am a newcomer (to the forum last Saturday and Diabetolandia on December 28 of last year).I don't know if I can help you because of the little experience I have in this, but I will try;)
I think it is important to have respect for the disease but not fear, because the day we lose fear we will lite the blanket at the head and "arm it".
I have always been a very "curious" person, I enjoyed reading medical articles for the mere fact of learning.From that December 28 I have stopped doing it, at least in regard to diabetes.I have decided to focus on trying to take care of myself, that's all.The fact of reading percentages of possible complications "breakfast", generates a lot of stress, anxiety ... I tell me that everything in my hand is reduced to taking care of myself and the rest I have to forget.
As for the desire to devour the fridge, I am unable to eat something with hydrates (when I should not) because I feel terribly guilty.I try to satisfy myself with salads, proteins ... (without abusing, of course;)).
There are things that I have stopped buying.Lately I abused nuts, it is sad to say it but I had no control when I started eating them.I have not put them back in the purchase car.
And ... well, there are better days than others.Days in which the thing gets more or less good and others in which ...
Look for an activity that helps you disconnect.I am doing very well to go by bike, I recharge my batteries and give me strength to move forward.
Here are people with a lot of experience and very good criteria that surely manage to help you more than me.Much encouragement;)

Amélie's profile photo
Amélie
07/10/2017 5:23 p.m.

Manu, pancreatic brother, in my personal smallness, I have 50 tacos and diabetes type 1 integral and absolute since the 15th. At the moment it has only been hypothyroidism for 20 years.
Anyway ... this is a rollacus pataterus, true, but we have a mogollón of medical advances, and with will, perseverance and desire, in the long run the complications are not mandatory.
So courage, chavalote !!

Javitomas67's profile photo
Javitomas67
07/16/2017 2:49 p.m.

To me, of the things that no longer scare me, but that bother me (and much) are the websites that try to sell medications or natural remedies, or various inventions for diabetes, with the supposed support of Nosequé scientific center (which later laterIt does not exist) or several scientific reports published with results in ... mice!, those that bother me, and much!

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
07/28/2017 2:05 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.