Crazy glucose at age 15.

notmy's profile photo   11/14/2010 2:32 p.m.

Hello, I am 15 years old and I walk with the glucose a bit crazy, suddenly hypoglycemia, suddenly hyperglycemia, suddenly I'm fine ... The fact is that I think I'm clicking some amounts of exorbitant insulin.
The problem begins in that basically, when, how much the units that I must click totally by eye, and this always enters the same values.Should you follow a diet in which you control the amounts of food as?
Every time I require superior insulin amounts and my weight is increasing ...
Lantus: 34 units at night
Novorapid flexpen:
Breakfast 1: (coffee) 3 units
Breakfast 2: (Skist+juice) 8-9 units
Lunch: 13-18 units
Snack: 10-11 units
Dinner: 14-20 units

I think I am doing it really badly with my illness even though my controls are not especially bad, but I need some help to learn to control myself better and reduce my glucose levels ...

Thank you all in advance.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
11/14/2010 2:32 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi Notmy, and welcome !!
In my opinion, I would ask your endocrine and/or educators, to teach you the carbohydrate count. It is not the same to put insulin having eaten paella, for example, that having eaten roasted chicken.Hypos and hyper, and you will cost you a lot right and do it well ... so if you start with the counts, it will be much easier, you will be more oriented, and you will see how little by little yourControls

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
11/15/2010 3:37 a.m.

Hello, Notmy.
I have a 16 -year -old daughter, diabetics since 8. Now he begins to have better control, but has been very uncontrolled.
In your case, several factors can influence:
You are at an age in which hormones are in "break rows" it is normal for you to need more insulin than normal.
On the other hand, if you calculate by eye it is easy to calculate badly.You need to rethink the issue of the diet and learn to count on rations of hydrates.I spend a link that will facilitate things:

And finally, it is not surprising that from time to time you do something out of the recommendation (eat sweet things in hidden, or drink alcohol once, or things like that) here we are not to judge, but to help you.The more data we give us, the easier we will help us.
Anyway, it is essential that you appointment with your educator and that she helps you rethink the entire issue of meals and insulins.

Do not hesitate to count on us for anything.

Welcome home.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/15/2010 7:27 a.m.

Good, Notmy!

The tips that Kekiya and Alea have given you are the best we can offer you here.Accounting the HC rations is one of the basic points of this, because once you do it, although comets infractions (chucheías to porrón, half chocolate tablet, 2 ice cream in one afternoon, dinner of more) you will know what you need so that it does notyou of a rush.It is easy as soon as the trick gets, but you will have to get a food list (the one that happened to you is pretty good) and start to weigh things at home.That will seem like a heaviness, but you learn quickly and help a lot.I am surprised that they have not already taught you, for me it is fundamental.

As for the amount of insulin ... it seems to me that it is a fast burden, but each one is each and depends on your sensitivity factor and your body.Ask how much you want

Ali

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/15/2010 11:14 a.m.

From the medical point of view you could add metformin to the treatment (some experts advocate their use in type I diabetic).If you are increasing weight, it is essential to see your thyroid (I don't know if you did analysis).

Carbohydrate count can help you without a doubt.

All the best

pedro jiménez's profile photo
pedro jiménez
11/15/2010 5:23 p.m.

The Lantus has a demonstrated tendency to moderate weight gain ... although this is not the cause, it is a matter of balance calories (except some other thyroid problem).

Notmy, do you change the areas where you click?One of the main rules is never to repeat the same place where you click ... Lipodystrophies exaggerated the insulin needs because insulin is "encapsula" when surrounded by tissue and cannot be absorbed in a normal way ...

Look at it since this way, you may now be doing it wrong but surely you will learn to improve safe.

Metformin is a valid option, but in my opinion in type 1 it should only be applied as an objective of improving insulin resistance, in case of existing.

DiabetesForo
11/17/2010 10:56 a.m.

I have started the week well, as usual.It seems that the problem is in the weekend, since I do not go to school, I get up later, the schedules are disagree and if it were no longer I even tell you ...
I have been with an average of 90 in my glucose for a couple of days, except this morning that I have had 242, because I slept with the sugar to 85 and I have had to go down during the night without giving me or account, with the consequent climb.Passing this, my highest level today has been 102.

notmy's profile photo
notmy
11/17/2010 11:56 a.m.

Ok, I'm going to ask because it already catches my attention, but forgiveness from off-topic.
Why does glucose go up after a non -perceived drop?I know that you call it the rebound effect, but I honestly do not identify it with something that has happened to me (I mean, surely it has happened to me but I do not realize) and I do not understand the reason.Burnt of liver glucose reserves?And then, why don't we correct all the hypos without having juice or whatever?

(Sorry for the offtopic again but it is that I can not stay in ignorance with this hehehe)

Notmy, as for the weekend ... well, it has happened to me too.It is a real can, but tries to make the effort to get up at 10.30 (at least to put the insulin) if you wear the lantus in the morning, because otherwise the rest of the day will be a disaster.That the ideal is to get up at 9 and go back to bed, but hey, ... I've also gone through that.It is a can but it is what there is.

móntrial's profile photo
móntrial
11/18/2010 5:25 p.m.

In theory, after hypoglycemia, there may be hyperglycemia, because the liver reacts and secretes glucose.But, I say in theory, because I have never seen that effect (Somogy), after 17 years of diabetes in my daughter.If there was ever a "rebound", it was due to an excess of hydrates to stop the hypo.When the righteous hydrates (a juice, for example) are taken, there have been no subsequent halglycemia.So I did not just believe the somogy effect that, because, if it existed, the glucagon injection would not be needed.:?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
11/19/2010 11:01 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The rebound effect exists and it is very easy to suffer from dawn, sleeping is difficult to detect hypoglycemia, one does not wake up and you get up with very high values ​​that no matter how much dawn/Alba phenomenon you do not reach those values.

By power you can suffer at any time of the day but at dawn I think it is easier because of what was commented, apart from the fact that there is rebound effect (Somogy) there must be reservations in the liver (it would be difficult to have several consecutive rebounds without having intakes by themedium, without storing something in the liver).

The difference with the theme of glucagon could be the following:

There are several types of hypoglycemia, they could be classified as: minor, severe and serious.

The mild are usually suffered (any patient treated with insulin can suffer hypoglycemia) and we are able to detect (we are "low"), we take something and leave that situation.There will be those who have the humbral in 70 mg/dl and there will be those who have the humbral in 60 mg/dl (humbrales that are not constant PQ if for a time we carry a bad control we will notice them with higher values, maybe with 80 or 90mg/dl).

The severe ones can be suffered if the alarms of the previous case do not whistle and you can reach values ​​of less than 50 mg/dl, when they are detected it is something late: the pulse is crazy and you are warage and usually is taking something that normallyFor the nerves, by the pulse, due to the acarok we happen taking things and because of the values ​​of later it may seem a rebound.

But with the bass the consciousness is lost and neither rebounded effect nor MariaSantisima takes you out of that situation and that is where glucagon must be used.

The glucagon also does not work if there are no reservations in the liver.

In all the years that I have in this I have not suffered any serious hypoglycemia, I have never lost consciousness, I have been pulling the glucagones for being expired, I hope that remains so but of the other two types if I have suffered them (especially theminor) and some rebound effect I have suffered too.

The rebound effect exists and it is better not to have it, as if it did not exist.

DiabetesForo
11/19/2010 12:16 p.m.

The rebound after having eaten everything in hypoglycemia exists and the Somogy effect also what happens that many times goes unnoticed because they are hypoglycemia that are not detected or not being detected with a time control.
Many times, because it is a hypoglycemia maintained or because it is quite strong, the organism is not able to respond to it because glycogen reserves are ended or because the glucagon segregated by the pancreas does not give a basty and that is when we have to take care of us,But we must bear in mind that before reaching that, our body has already got to work with greater or lesser success.

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/19/2010 3:01 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.