{'en': '"Risk" Diabetes and Sports - Share experiences', 'es': 'Diabetes y deportes de "riesgo" - Compartir experiencias'} Image

"Risk" Diabetes and Sports - Share experiences

martagsc's profile photo   11/25/2010 12:05 p.m.

Hello!I don't know if there will be a thread similar to this one but I haven't seemed to see it.

I have opened it because we are sure that we are more than one or two that we practice (or practiced before debuting) any of these sports -called diving risk, skiing, climbing ... or even others that although they are not at risk if they demand aa certain physical form and are demanding when practicing them (bike, background skiing ...)

It would be good to be able to share experiences, count how we carry insulin or do the controls without freezing blood, or how to overcome a hypo when the conditions that surround you are not the most suitable.

I think this would be good especially for those who have just debuted and do not know if they can return to practice their favorite sport or for those who have not dared to take the way in case something happens.

Here I leave the thread in case someone is encouraged: D

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/25/2010 12:05 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Man I have been diabetic for 21 years, and what I can say is that I have practiced "risk" sports and I have not had serious problems, I think the main thing is that you detect hypoglycemia in time.
I have practiced skate, climbing, cycling, barranchism, mountaineering and currentA decrease without having the sugar through the clouds.The circuit days take slow and also fast absorption hydrates depending on how, I take Aquarius even some bun since the effort and burning of sugar is quite large.

You also have to control after finishing since depending on the exercise, at the hours you can have decreases and its corresponding rebounds.

eme's profile photo
eme
11/25/2010 12:48 p.m.

I debuted in April and now I only practice BTT in the morning, an hour and a half and what I do is not put the rapid in the morning and at two hours I usually around 100, which I have read a lot out there is the issue of aquariumsThat people drink it, what is not how much a boat two, and for what kind of sport .... I like this thread ....: Mrgreen:

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
11/25/2010 1:42 p.m.

Hehe, I see that we are more than 1 or 2. Well, not to repeat, what I like is skiing.Practical skiing of track and journey that is somewhat more hard.I generally have no problems with the theme of hypos although some have given me.I wear the lantus in the morning and some novorapid with breakfast and the rest of the day novorapid on demand although there are times that I do not demand anything and spend the day without clicking: D (only the lantus).In addition, I control myself quite often, every 2 hours approximately or even more.
As for food, I carry the backpack full of gels and glucose gels, usually more than I calculate that I will need in case I get lost, it gives me a fat downturn or I can't find any place to eat, still there has ever beenthat I have run out of provisions.
As for the issue of insulins and the cold, what I usually do is to save the insulin in some inside pocket of the hunter, never in the backpack, so on the one hand it protects it from the cold and on the other if you fall the protected from the blow withYour own body.And the controls ... Well, the cold there are times that has destabilized the glucometer a bit so I try to look for a cafeteria and if there is no longer in a protected place without taking out the backpack meter.
I also drink Aquarius but not as a general rule because when I carry only one bottle if I need to drink because I am high, if I only carry Aquarius because I cannot drink.What I do is take some isostar pills that dissolve them in water, the days that I am lower dissolved one and with that I go throwing.
I also practice MTB in summer and on weekends that I am not going to ski and I have started with the snorkeling.When I do MTB if the route is going to be long, I carry a bottle of water and another with Aquarius and I alternate, that is controlling all the time so as not to pass me from Aquarius.
In all sports I follow more or less the same guidelines and for the moment I do well.For me, in addition to these guidelines, the most important thing is to ever go alone, and that the person with whom it has some minimum knowledge of how to respond to hypoglycemia.

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/25/2010 5:24 p.m.

Ski!!!!(Tomorrow the season begins: D: D What a monkey !!!)
In addition to skiing, for now only on track.I also like trekking/mountaineering (I have made several crossings of several days), Barranquismo (although with the pump it is a roll, it is more than two hours and I have to go to Lantus a few days through a day of Barranco).Escalada (only equipped roads, schools) ... and once some BTT corita route ... on the crossings if it is a little roll if something happens to you, because there are days that you have no covering with the mobile, butI wear glucagon and enough food.With the pump it is easier than with the bolis.The Camino de Santiago I have done three times, two with bolis and one with bomb and the difference is total.In fact, I did it with insulin NPH and it was a horror, one day he gave me a cetosis that was falling asleep everywhere and with vomiting and all the roll and we were also in the middle of nowhere.The next time it was with the Lantus, which was already an advance, but I still had to lower the basal because they did not give me hypos during the day and lifted me high ... and the last time with a bomb, after the good experienceI encourage me with the crossings by the Pyrenees ...

tica's profile photo
tica
11/26/2010 5:25 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Yes, Tica, the season begins !!: D What a monkey !!!

I have had two experiences in the middle of nowhere and the truth does not have a great time.In both it went to run out of sugar/food.In one I was doing skiing in the background, I got lost and went for the long circuit (5-6 hours) in front of the short (2 hours) after 6 sugaros, 4 bones, 2 pieces of fruit and a hypoglycemia maintained approximately 3 hoursI arrived in the car in 35. The other was in style but going around the Picos de Europa ... since then charge with glucagon and glucosmon and curiously I have not had to make use of them, the day that I forget sure that I will surelyWE RETURN TO THE FIRSTS :)

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
11/26/2010 10:20 a.m.

Hello, I also sign up.

Diving: By law it is prohibited, since the law is 73 and puts the recreational and professional diving in the same sack.In reality there are many divers diabetics.The latest recommendations from diving medical associations are:

- Have a hem below 7
- Not having suffered any serious hypo (which requires external intervention and/or income) in the last year.
- Maintain good physical condition.
- Do not inject two hours before immersion.
- Measure 1 hour, 1/2 hour and just before immersion.
- Start immersion without values ​​tending down, and with glycemia above 150
- Eat slow hydrates just before going down.
- Take some glucose sachet that can be taken under water.
- Have glucagon available in the boat or entry point.
- Notify your condition to the instructor
- Diving with a partner who knows how to act in case of emergency.
- Establish a signal to indicate "hypo"
- Limit the dives to two daily, not exceed 20 meters, and never go into deco.

Surely I leave some, but I put them by heart.

For the rest of sports, more or less demanding: carry abundant provision of hydrates, glucose or similar, and control every two hours.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
11/29/2010 2:33 a.m.

Hello!I am 25 and I debuted 1 year ago.I have always liked skiing and sport in general: swimming, running, etc.Since then I have not skied, it gives me enough respect although now that I control my levels I would like to practice those sports that spend so much glucose.The day you do sport, slow insulin decreases?or only the basal?Because I hit some binge of eating the day I go to the gym so that I don't call me down, I think that more than keeping me fattening!And when you ski with slow, right?And carry many cereal bars, bananas, juices, right?This season I would like to ski.I would be very good for advice :)

Thank you so much!!

Lantus 8, Apidra 2/3/2, last hemo 6.7.

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
01/26/2011 3:56 p.m.

Hello Pepita,

Although each person is a world I tell you a little as I do, although then you will obviously have to find the guideline that best suits you.

When you talk about slow and basal insulin, I don't know exactly what you mean.For your firm I see that you have Lantus (basal) and apidra (ultra -grape) and you are not slow anywhere so I will rely on this.

According to my experience, I usually do not usually lower the basal (Lantus) unless I will be skiing more than 3 days than then under one unit every two days assuming it needs it.For a weekend it is not worth it and I usually play with the ultra -grape (in my case novorapid).

At breakfast I do not usually modify the ultra -granted units and what I do is breakfast more than in a normal day, I add a pair of toast and a piece of fruit to the coffee with usual milk.With that I usually get well to food although sometimes I need a bar in mid -morning.If before eating I am between 80-100 I put myself at most 2 ui of ultra-grape (instead of the usual 4-5) unless I will eat more HC than normal that I then maintain the normal dose.As for dinner under a couple of ultrarapid units and I don't usually have dinner.

Although it is not the most advisable for day to day when I am skiing I try to maintain higher levels (around 150) thus I avoid hypoglycemia at all hours.

The reason I do not modify the Lantus unless it is strictly necessary is that you never know with total certainwhich is easier to play with the fast than to modify the basal.In addition I have noticed that in my case, skiing, unless it is many days in a row, it does not consume me too much so I do not need to lower much, in the case of the bike the thing changes and although the basal soil does not modify it,The ultra -graph is quite low both in breakfast and food (if I go in the morning) or at food if I go after eating.

Anyway, all this is only orientative, in the end you have to be you who, based on controls, see what your best guideline is and of course always carry HC with you.For me, the most comfortable (more than fruit and juices) are the bars and glucose gels of the decathlon, many HC in little weight, and always carry out if you get lost, you do not find where to eat ...

I hope it serves you, if you have any questions, you know, ask and above all ... Keep skiing and enjoy what is left of the season!

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
02/22/2011 5:44 p.m.

Well, in general .... It is the question of the million !!!! I can say that there are several factors and know yourself, because what is going well for me can mean being low or high.
As for factors to be taken into account;Duration, intensity-type of exercise, level of stress-adrenaline.
For example, I climb, and the days when I may make roads that are not very physical but they are to spend more fear because I know that I have to put some extra bowl xq shoots ...
I also tried to jump in parachute and climbed with a good level of sugar and when I tread Earth I had 300 and peak.
Skipping depends on how the day is, it is to see that physical wear are doing, this is like when you go to run, it depends on the time-intensity ...

jorss's profile photo
jorss
09/01/2011 11:44 a.m.

Hello everyone!
I debuted a month ago and little, this Saturday I will go snowboard for the first time being diabetic, I will try not to go too much why I still don't know how the subject works a lot ...
It has been very helpful to me what you told you here and I will tell how my 1r day has gone.Thank you!!!

DiabetesForo
02/04/2014 7:02 p.m.

Hello, I practice trail and I usually eat pasta or rice and shed half or almost her of Humalog .. apart I usually do every hour and if I have 100 or less to eat bar and drink well with water.And if I feel unusual to eat.When I finish as and in the next 2 meals under the dose of Humalog.If I run 2 units of Lantus.

DiabetesForo
02/19/2014 10:49 a.m.

Greetings, I practice several sports among them the ones that give me the most are boxing and running, it is especially annoying to have to stop halfway because you are low sugar.I always carry a juice and some sugar envelopes.Although as the two main weapons that we must use are comment above are the measurement before exercise and above all know ourselves.In my case I am lucky, I realize for myself when I am starting to go down and I have never had to use glucagon or go through a fainting or anything like that.Sometimes I wonder if a subcutaneous meter (which does not insulin pump) would be recommended not to say essential for athletes with diabetes

FernandoGR's profile photo
FernandoGR
06/24/2014 9:49 a.m.

I have a continueless and depending on what you see decide, or foresee hypoglycemia and eat before it gives me

Gala's profile photo
Gala
06/24/2014 11:17 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

For any sport, more if it is extreme, I think the continuous glucose monitor is essential, and good preparation before leaving!

fer's profile photo
fer
10/19/2016 9:18 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, I agree with Fer.

fer said:
for any sport, more if it is extreme, I think the main glucose monitor is essential, and a good preparation before leaving!

It is important to review, how far do we do it extreme?I practice diving, mountain cycling and diving in apnea.My golden rule, be well fed.And above all to know how your body behaves.As I am type 2 so far, I can balance the doses with exercise.How comfortable, if I'm going to practice sports, and I really don't find problems.I carry good snacks and fruits.For example yesterday I made a quite intense bike of 85km.I had breakfast fruits and cereal, I brought cereal bars with fruits as a snacks as well as fruit in syrup.Pure sugar, clear small quantities.I also wore glucose pills and a lot of water.No energizing drinks.I stopped every hour and a half of the total of 4 and a half hours that took me to complete the distance.I drank water frequently without waiting for me to be thirsty.And at the end of the normal day and in control.I think that being aware of our physiological behavior is fundamental to
Do sports

DiegoA's profile photo
DiegoA
02/19/2019 2:38 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.