Adventure in the Himalayas and Greenland, overcoming diabetes

fer's profile photo   04/22/2014 8:34 a.m.

Susana Ruíz is diabetic and has managed to climb to Himalaya, her next challenge, a new adventure this year in Greenland.

In Spain 2.8 million citizens are diabetic.One of them is Susana Ruiz, from Navarra but resident in Vizcaya for several years, who suffers from diabetes from eleven, so she has been living with that permanent "companion".

This ailment, he tells Efe, "is a double -edged sword, does not produce pain like other diseases, but that makes many people not aware of the side effects that a bad control can produce in the body."

But - he adds - if he is "well controlled, he doesn't have to give problems."

To make it visible and in an "optimistic" way, in November last year, Susana decided to climb another step in the fight, a great step, demonstrating to everyone that "with good control and planning" can and does anything.

And what did he do?Well, fulfilling one of the dreams of his whole life: to see Everest closely and teach that with effort, work, will and determination it is possible to keep diabetes at bay, even 5,545 meters high and in unavailable conditions.

"When I arrived at Kala Pattar - a peak of Nepal - I was very excited, because for many years people had told us that we could not do certain things, and it is not true," Susana explains in a conversation to Efe.

This ascent career did not make her alone;During the eighteen days that his husband and his medication lasted, which allowed her to keep diabetes under control.

The Navarra saw in the sport and in the mountain the best way to demonstrate to society how all the goals that one can propose if they are pursued can be achieved.

"The limitations are set them," Susana clarifies, "you can make a totally normal life taking it seriously and with control", and what better example than herself to illustrate it.

"You don't have to put the excuse disease to treat you from equal to the same, you have to avoid superprotection," he argues.

Susana speaks of the need to help without overproteger, but to grant responsibilities and independence to do any activity or task and not see the disease as a handicap.

"Diabetes has to be a motivation and not a limitation," he says.

And in Susana there is an example of overcoming even if she has another objective: "I do not want to become an example; I want it not to limit the kids, if they have a dream to do it."

Therefore, Susana has undertaken a new trip in which, through talks throughout Spain, she tells her experience.On the 24th he will be in Santiago de Compostela with the aim of transmitting positive ideas about diabetes.

"You have to motivate otherwise: saying that we are able to do it," says Susana, who is already planning his next challenge.

He will make another adventure, this time in summer, a walk combined with kayak through Greenland.Another fifteen days with the same "companions" that will tell the detail in his blog.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/22/2014 8:34 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

A great example.A path to follow.

I loved the phrase of "For many years people had told us that we could not do certain things, and it is not true."

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/10/2014 9:08 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Congratulations and once again the will moves mountains!
A cordial greeting

DiabetesForo
07/10/2014 3:55 p.m.

But neither does it need to climb to the Himalayas ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/10/2014 10:21 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

All these people who say that everything can be done with diabetes and that they sell it to you as something positive, I suppose that when a cure comes out and will continue to be diabetics, right?If it is so fantastic and so positive ...

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/10/2014 11:02 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

It is certainly a great achievement and its willpower deserves recognition.
But as Regina says, it is not necessary to upload so high.In general, in my modest opinion, I believe that most have to consider closer objectives, more bearables, that they do not suppose such challenges, because what it has done, without departing from the merit it supposes, is of course a risk.And risks, I think how many best month.
There are simpler alternatives, the El Bicycle Paseo, some km.of hiking, a section of the Camino de Santiago, etc, etc.There are many things around us that can be enjoyed.

DiabetesForo
07/11/2014 4:27 a.m.

Exactly!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/11/2014 2:33 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

This news has been coming to the base camp for a long time ... that can be done in sports!With money ... it can be done .... I was looking at it as a honeymoon (original not?).And come on, it goes through populations and that is mega massified .... then a 5000 -meter peak is to climb in the Pyrenees one of 2000

And if you want to go to Groelandia that goes ... I don't know why judge it ... I wish I went, I pointed to me ... like several friends who are not diabetic.I also know many people who or charging would go ... I suppose that it is passionate about the mountain you see it as a whim ... I think it's wonderful that we can do this and things more chungas ... with or without diabetes ...

Ahh and if the cure comes out I am the first one that I ask for the treatment ... but I will not be the one who stays at home crying because it does not arrive ... what was missing!

tica's profile photo
tica
07/11/2014 3:10 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.