An artificial pancreas, chosen best invention of the year

fer's profile photo   04/22/2014 8:39 a.m.

An artificial pancreas that can be implemented to diabetes patients and who releases insulin has been chosen better invention of the year in the United Kingdom.

An artificial pancreas can help manage insulin dose to diabetes.

The British Joan Taylor, Professor of Pharmacy at that university, is the inventor of that small device, which was prepared with the collaboration of the Renfrew Group International Medical Technology Company."This incredible device developed with Renfrew will not only eliminate the need to inject insulin manually, but will also ensure that exact doses are administered every time," Taylor said.

The invention received the award at the Gadget Show Live, a technology fair sponsored by a British television program.Scientists are expected to do the first clinical tests in 2016 and it is estimated that the National Health Service (NHS) of the United Kingdom will make the first implants in a decade.

"When controlling blood glucose levels so effectively, we should reduce related health problems," said the inventor.Taylor said that diabetes currently costs a million pounds (¤1.2 million) the time to public health and most of them are spent on treating complications.Michael Phillips, from Renfrew Group, said: "This simple device has the potential to benefit millions of lives."

The artificial pancreas must be surgically implanted in the body, where it is designed to release precise amounts of insulin to the blood flow.Every two weeks the device must be filled with insulin, they explain the inventors, which point out that the gadget will serve both patients with type 1 diabetes, dependent on insulin, and some patients with type 2 diabetes who also require injections.The "pancreas" is not electronic, it works with a polymer gel that automatically controls the release of insulin, which, according to experts, minimizes the risk of rejection by the patient.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/22/2014 8:39 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I heard the news the other day on the radio, and when I heard it out.I understand that every medication has a test and check course that takes time, and even more a device.But say that for a decade, when people like us need something for yesterday, it seems to me even a bad joke.I see it even cruel.

It is as if I tell you that I have invented the flying car ... in 2050 I bring it to you.In Barcelona they are already healing dogs with diabetes with genetic therapy, and will find cure or improve before that device even starts trying.And if they do that in Barcelona, ​​I don't even know the molecular prototypes that they will have in the US, Canada or Japan, countries that give us 100,000 turns in technology.I just invented cancer cure, for 2100 ... to give me the Nobel.

I feel the angry message, which I already know that it does not go with the tone of the forum ... but it is that the way in which they have been chronating this stupid disease so that pharmacists can continue to be the second largest business in the world after theOwn war and sale of weapons, it seems to me of embarrassment.By scientific institutions and states.

From here to ten years I am blind or have amputated my legs, or has already given me a heart attack, or I have neurological and kidney problems (come on, that sure).But they give an award to invent something that "may" serve something in ten years.Send H *****.

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
04/22/2014 9:35 a.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

Apart from the obvious negative interest of the pharma-mafia.

The other day I read in an English forum that many researchers want to ensure their work until retirement.Once they find an interesting project that attracts investors, prestige, etc.What they do is spend 20 or 30 years with him, they talked about some cases like this, or Dr Faustman, who have been in the same project against diabetes (completely unused in their case) and they plan to finishWhen they have to retire.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/22/2014 10:11 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

I get less and less of the people in the scientific field.And that I have always been to bring rationality as a flagship, regardless of religion and other things.But whenever someone who was born with talent for mathematics says something, it seems that it is already law;And what I see is that they say nonsever, and that as Sherpa41 says everything is deeply mediated by commercial interests.

Without going any further, with the theme of the strips.My nurse makes me more problems to give them, because they are very expensive.It is the most expensive material used in an ambulatory, and takes both budget a year and all personnel.Do you know how much he told me to pay for pulling?11 cents.That is, the 50 box goes to the state for 5'5 euros.And in the pharmacy there are more than 50 !!!

If in the pharmacy they were sold to me for that price, which is reasonable, I would not have to go to me, as if I were begging.I buy ten boxes a month or those that I need and point.It is a scandal, in which the National Federation of Diabetes would have to do something (apart from congresses, talks and various bullshit).But it is not interested in doing anything.

I have more and more problems to control sugar, and I don't understand how there are people with 6. I usually have it taller, and they give me down equally.For fear of not knowing when it happens to me, I can spend 15 strips a day, with what I have to buy for eBay for a fortune.

Is it so complicated to market a continuous meter at an affordable price?The only thing that happens here is that nobody is interested, apparently.

Recently I read about a biomedical engineer with a diabetic son by birth.For personal interest he developed an improved bomb that measures in real time and puts insulin in real time, almost perfectly leading his son's sugar and other boys with diabetes with which they tested the pot in a camp.It almost totally avoids the probability of hypoglycemia.Where are those pots?"No ... It is that you have to do some tests ... WHO has to validate ... come on, that by 2030 you will have it."Because you have to stretch everything that can be the grotesque sale of products of half a century ago while people keep sick, having complications and dying.

I buy strips to the US, and they are half the cheap that here ... in the US !!!The country with the healthy health and the most expensive health products in the world!Here in Spain they are worth more than double!But is it that nobody is going to do anything?

With the cured dogs with genome molecules mutated by genetic engineering the same: first they think about mice, and it works.Then with dogs, and it works.Now they will try it with company dogs (which are apparently different from dogs in generic -in that parallel world in which some live -) and will work.Host, that we are not talking about trying a cosmetic cream: why don't they rehearse the modification of that genome sequence directly for people?Come on, I volunteer to be the first ... even if I get two other arms.But no, they will investigate it ... in years.Meanwhile, to continue paying a euro the unit.That the economy must be maintained.

As if you could live without being every minute of 24 hours a day pending sugar.

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
04/22/2014 11:13 a.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

It is that on the one hand we have the pharmaceutical interests that are not interested in all this, but that does not explain that some things like this that could be profitable for them, go ahead.

That is why they explained in another forum how the subject of research works, which for a scientist it is very difficult to get him to approve a project, attract financing, get a team, that his work has an impact ...

They can be fighting for all that, therefore when they are successful, that is, this is published in the specialized magazines, what they do is extend the maximum of years to have their work assured as long as possible.It doesn't matter if it could be a supernecessary cure for the sick or if they know that they will not serve absolutely at all (which is almost always the most likely).Thus they ensure their work until they retire, at the expense of patience, health and hopes of the sick.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/22/2014 5:07 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Jolín, Sherpa ..., I don't think it can be generalized with that.Fleming, resigned from the patent so that penicillin arrived on time to the injured of World War II.Science investigates and wants to see the results, another thing is commercial interests ..., that there is a problem.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/22/2014 7:52 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
jolín, sherpa ..., I don't think it can be generalized with that.Fleming, resigned from the patent so that penicillin arrived on time to the injured of World War II.Science investigates and wants to see the results, another thing is commercial interests ..., that there is a problem.

It is an idea that I read a few days ago and I still don't know whether to believe it or not, but it is that the exasperating slowness we see in medical research ... that of "yes, we have a possible cure, in 10 years we start investigating it inpeople".They would only miss "we are not in a hurry, total we are not diabetic" and then they would laugh to be more insulting.

And what you say about Fleming or those who discovered insulin 100 years ago, is in a few weeks in all pharmacies.Precisely, at that time things worked very differently, with less means but much faster and more effective.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
04/22/2014 11:17 p.m.

What you say can be part of the problem, but for me it is not the problem.Because that case can occur for universities researchers, or in small groups of investigators at the private level.The Almighty Pharmaceuticals are something apart.And I would not be surprised if they were stopping investigations already achieved.Or keeping medications already discovered.

It happens as with mobile generations.I saw a report in which I was talking about the fact that there are already prototypes of 3 generations ahead of those in hand.That does not mean that the last prototype can already manufacture it in mass, but two generations could skip and within one year to throw out.Why don't they?Because developing each has cost a very strong investment, and they want to make it profitable yes or yes.So, as much as we seem that telecommunications progress, they are actually already much more advanced, but their appearance in the market is delayed precisely for commercial interests.

What will not happen in medicine.I speak to speak, because I do not work in any biomedical research field.But trying as much as any product to see their possible defects, when anything that happened with them would already be better than not using it, it seems to me demential.If it already exists as a patented product, it is already tested.If they have given him the prize, they have already shown that it works.What the hell we have to wait until 2026 ??????? !!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you have to sign up for human cubaya?That I sign up.I will be better than now sure.

When I started with this, 15 years ago, I thought "well, from here to ten years they will have discovered something" ... I no longer thought of the total and definitive cure, but some improvement, some qualitative leap in the ridiculous treatment of this thatIt is eating and clicking by eye, and to see what happens;Something ... and 15 years have passed and nothing has been done, nothing!When improvements for different types of cancer come out every month, or genetic research comes out that could be worth all types, or an advance with which they manage to avoid metastases, it is absolutely incredible that the only thing we follow with it is with it "Pícha yourself by eye and count hydrates. "

Come on, it's as if a cardiologist tells a heart patient "try not to give you a heart attack. And if you don't die, see you on your next visit."

Actually, what an endocrine does today after being ten years at the university could anyone do with a two -week course.Or two hours.After all, it is nothing other than applying protocols established by others.And that will not do computer programs inside without leaving home.

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
04/23/2014 3:43 a.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

I think you are all the reason in the world.I personally burst every time I hear someone say that "you have to accept diabetes" ... I really can't with it.How will people have so closed eyes? How will they be so extremely conformist? ... there are already remedies and priests.I also offer myself volunteer, literally: I have written to Dr. Fatima Bosh for when I have good tests in humans.For God, that they leave stories of "in 10 years it is resolved", that this is the shit that they tell us all for ... 50 years!

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/23/2014 8:22 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have been the last hour reading everything I have been able to find about this doctor and her team.Now they are going to try with company dogs.Big dogs should say.They will be years to see if it works.And I have no doubt that they will work: they will do their evidence, their checks, their measurements, their monitoring, and will work.And then, and only then, it will begin to practice in humans (that if they are not tested inmedy with the entire animal kingdom ...)

The truth is, I do not know any human company that does not follow several lines of work in divided teams.A project is always started, and soon after, and soon another ... developed several lines at the same time.If now they are going to start with big dogs, and wait for years to see how it is going to give us time to use the award -winning invention ... which will arrive within twelve years !!!

Being the most promising experiment in advance against diabetes worldwide, I don't know how they have not already rained (not only from Spain, which we do not even feed people, but from other states or companies yes) tens of thousandsof millions of dollars or euros.Nor that what they had achieved was a new type of furniture varnish ...

Of course I do not say it for the good intentions and desires for us the sick by states or companies, but because of the more than recurring messages about how much, far we cost public coffers.It is already worth ... if we all died the economic problems of this country ... (In case someone gets upset, yes, it goes with a lot of sarcasm).

It's about obtaining a cure for a terrible disease, the so -called "epidemic of the se. XXI"?Or is it about obtaining patents and recognitions?

DanielPD's profile photo
DanielPD
04/23/2014 9:09 a.m.

Diabético y gafapasta.

It is true, above all the problems we have remind us continuously that we are an expense: -s

I would like new treatments to be proven much earlier in humans, even if it was under our exclusive responsibility, but at least they gave us that possibility.I believe that an adult who is in full use of his faculties and understands the risks and the scope of his actions should be able to prove medications or treatments before decades pass.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
04/23/2014 12:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.