Inhaled insulin

leo's profile photo   12/20/2010 8:36 a.m.

Do you know something about inhaled insulin?has anyone tried it?
All the best

Levemir at night: Novorapic: 6-6-3-3 (variable)

leo's profile photo
leo
12/20/2010 8:36 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have not tried it, but I asked the endocrine and told me that I was not giving good results because you have to inhale it very well, if you do not breathe well at the time and all that ... Well, it loses efficacy, and a diabetic like thatYou can't risk that.It is not the same to inhale, for example, Ventolin for asthma as if you do not have it well at all because you know it as soon as you cannot breathe and you get again but in diabetes it is more delicate.Anyway, I am also interested in what they answer here to see if there are people who have used it and take away the doubts.all the best.

VICTORGR's profile photo
VICTORGR
12/20/2010 9:13 a.m.

May I know, they had retired from the market.

It never convinced me.

Health

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/20/2010 9:28 a.m.

I have not tried it.

Among some of the problems is the one commented by Victorgr, you may not have to use needles but you have to train people to use the inhaler, perhaps in someone who has asthma and uses a ventolin the dose is not as decisive as it arrives as it arrivesSomething even a small amount to the lungs but in diabetes the doses of insulin are very important and if the control cannot be correctly administered it will be bad or very bad.

Another problem although I suppose it would be less than the previous one is the issue that the "normal" insulins its concentration is measured in international units by milliliter (U.I. / ml) and the aspirated insulin its concentration is measured in cubic centimeters (CC) that perhapsThis makes it difficult to walk with two types of insulins PQ with inhaled insulin maybe you pour from one of the usual punctures but not all and if you are going to walk with more than one insulin and one of the insulins is of the "normal"(U.I./ML) and the other is the inhaled (CC) the mess can be quite handsome simply to calculate the doses.

But I think that the definitive problem apart from those commented (and possibly others) is the economic issue, the laboratory that has the patent of that inhaled insulin withdrew it from the market for not fulfilling the economic spectative they expected.

Summary: "They all killed her and she died alone."

DiabetesForo
12/20/2010 10:05 a.m.

A greater incidence of lung cancer has been observed among users of the aerosolized insulin exubera, according to what the manufacturer reported.The Food and Drug Administration announced that the information in the prospect has been updated.

The pharmaceutical company that markets the product (PFIZER) provided some data obtained from clinical trials.“6 of the 4,740 patients treated with exubera developed lung cancer, while in a group of 4,292 people not treated with the product only 1 suffered lung cancer.Another individual suffered from the same condition in a post marketing study.They all had a history of smoking.

Pfizer announced in October 2007 that it would stop marketing the product due to “that the drug did not meet the financial expectations of the company or the needs of its consumers”

Between that they lost money to jets and that it did not fulfill the expectations of the patients ... Pfizer withdrew it from the market.
I knew very closely the entire launch campaign and the huge (by unfortunate) expectations that were created, within the company itself and especially its marketing department.
For many tips and warnings that were made, they followed their line marked worldwide ... The results were well visible and unfortunately expected.

DiabetesForo
12/20/2010 12:16 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.