Continuous glucose meter for my 3 -year -old son

renoca's profile photo   05/06/2014 2:01 p.m.

Good afternoon,

I am lucky to be able to pay for a continuous glucose meter for my 3 -year -old son, just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.
I have been looking for information online and for the forum and I have concluded that the best device today for him could be the Dexcom G4 Platinum.I already have the budget to acquire it, but first I would like to know if there is any other alternative taking into account the child's age and that we do not contemplate, for the moment, use insulin pump since it accepts the treatment with the bolis quite well.

I think that with so much "veteran" in this diabetes as there is in this forum, you can surely advise me some other or, failing that, confirm that the Dexcom G4 is the most appropriate.

Thank you very much in advance!

renoca's profile photo
renoca
05/06/2014 2:01 p.m.

Diabético "tipo 3"
Padre de Ilai (4 años)
Levemir: 3-3 | Humalog: 3-2-2 | Dexcom G4
HbA1c (17/12/2014) -> 5,7%

Hello.To my daughter we have put the Dexcom today.Two years ago in June.
I will tell here how the experience.
He already took him a week given by the hospital, but he agreed (Murphy Law) that was with a cold and fever just that week, so they were not real values ​​or real measurements either, when they are bad they decompensate.
Let's see how such ..... she has nightlife, so we have taken the step.We are also in formation to put the pump because it is hypersensitive to insulin and with injections there is no way to control it because the doses they need are very small and it is not possible either with injections or with pen, so in that we are .....
I will count our experience with the Dexcom.

nuriavegal's profile photo
nuriavegal
05/06/2014 5:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thank you so much!If it is worth a two -year -old boy, I suppose that for three, it will also go well.
You will tell me how it is doing with the Dexcom.I hope you are tranquility for the happy hypos.It is basically what all parents are looking for after all.
As I have commented, I have read that it is going very well when you learn to use it well, especially for young children.

renoca's profile photo
renoca
05/06/2014 5:38 p.m.

Diabético "tipo 3"
Padre de Ilai (4 años)

Well, for now, we are delighted with the Dexcom.

He has helped us tonight to anticipate two hypos and this afternoon he has warned us of another and that the girl was so normal, if he had not warned us, we would not have done hair control because he did not touch him and was playing so quiet.So although it is very soon, we have just been with it for two days, for the moment the experience is very positive.

The worst thing was to put the sensor, a good tantch was taken (I think that more for being held and that he did not escape with wings, than for what his puncture hurt in himself), but at minute he was already so pancha andHe neither remembers that he carries it, nor does he touch it, nor complain.

Let's see if everything remains equally well and the sensors also last for us, which with the price they have .....

nuriavegal
05/07/2014 5:50 p.m.

Nuria, is it a joyful enjoyment?
Now that you see when you have the descents you have to relate them to the insulin that is acting at that time, the fast or the slow one.Fast in the posts to meals and slow before meals and throughout the night

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/07/2014 6:03 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Yes, we are very happy !!!

Gala, we have identified when the descents are by rapid or slow, the problem in the girl is that it needs much more precision than a syringe provides you.

Yesterday, the hiccup in the afternoon, was having put only 0.25 of novorapid before the snack (fruit porridge), with 0.25 she there are days that falls, but if you do not put anything (because less than 0, 25 with syringe is impossible) shoots and arrives at the very high dinner ...

The hypos of at night have more inri since at night it does not have a levem!Less, from 00:00 to 3:00 it starts to go down and usually arrives on average at 3:00 in 160-190 and between 3:00 and 7:30 in the morning, hypos can beany time.From 00:00 it is impossible for him to be quick from dinner, we put it at 20.00!The night.

As with syringe it is impossible to specify that the slow one is releasing to the needs of the girl's body (more or less depending on the time slot), they have decided that she is a pump candidate, because on the one hand, we will control whatthat is released from slow in every hour of the day (you indicate it to the pump by sections depending on the needs of the girl) and on the other hand, in the case of the rapid that needs an accuracy between 0 and 0,25 With syringe is impossible.

It has an insulin hypersensitivity ......, so the pump is necessary.Hopefully with the Dexcom and the bomb we will improve a lot !!!

nuriavegal
05/08/2014 6:39 a.m.

If you will see as if.
If you can have some fast dinner at 00:00, they say from 2 to 4 but it always lasts a little more but is that less than 0.25 .... Have you tried to give you right?A bottle or something?Before going to bed I took a glass of milk because if not hiccups at night

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/08/2014 7:50 a.m.

Thank you very much for the comments nuria !!!
I am looking forward to having it to put it to the little one.It remains to wait a few more days only until the endocrine signs us the "no opposition."

I hope that, especially at night, we all win in tranquility.
Can alarms be configured apart from those brought from the factory, right?

renoca's profile photo
renoca
05/08/2014 8:57 a.m.

Diabético "tipo 3"
Padre de Ilai (4 años)

Hello...
Gala, but at 00:00 he is 250 every day ...We have a clear Reena Guideline, as soon as it reaches 100 yogurt, but I cannot give it right if it is above because then it shoots up that you do not see ... it is equally sensitive to the hydrates, it has no middle ground, with half a rationFrom yogurt for example we can go from 100 to 200 in no time.That is why we are getting (we were) the alarm every hour literally, looking for the "100" to give him hydrates and avoid the hypos.Now with the Dexcom we continue with a clock for hair control at 03:00, at 06:30 that his father is done because it is time to get to work and the next is before breakfast at 8:30,In between the Dexcom wakes us if it reaches 100 at some point and that's it.
For the day it is also very useful for trends, not every day the same moves, to see, he is less than two years old, you cannot foresee how much he will want to play or how many naps he goes to sleep .... now we nowWe anticipate and avoid hair controls also by day, we only keep those before eating.

As for the issue of alarms ... no, you can't configure more than those that come and you don't have many sound and volume option, if you are an adult and take it on you or leave it next to the bedside table, it is more than enough, but in our case, "coverage", does not arrive from the girl's room to the bedside table, sothat we leave it in the middle of the hall and do not hear it because just the sound of the "low glucose" alert is the one that he hears less of all and does not allow you to raise the volume .... so what we do is put itA babies intercom to the receiver in the middle of the hall and the intercom recipient on our bedside table.

During the day there is no problem, it is well heard because in addition to being pending as it has a vibrator and if you carry it "hanging" of a pocket, or you have it at hand, we can hear perfect (we talk about young children in which the receiver is carried by theParents, adult diabetics carry themselves transmitter and receiver so they do not lose "coverage" however much they move and asleep they find out perfectly because they carry it on or on the bedside table).I don't know if I have explained.

Perhaps it is one of the things that in the case of children, could be improved in the Dexcom, the volume of alarms.

nuriavegal
05/08/2014 10:46 a.m.

He he!!Those who carry it do not see how it is "hears" and the vibration shows I left it on the table and I had to put it in bed with me because I woke up to the neighbor of the buzzs against the table, now I notice the vibration for the vibration for theMattress the entire headboard area with which my husband throws a growl but hey, it is better than on the table.
If it is true that babies adsorb and metabolize the HC before, so you have to feed them every little time.
If you go up the novorapid of the dinner a tad and you go down a less?, Have you tried.
If this is the daughter, it does not follow a fixed rule, for example, it is curious that the days I work without knowing why about 11:45 begins to rise to me for no reason why I put on Lantus in the morning because we think thatI was short of the night so I had Lantus pir the night and in the morning, well, on the weekends that I am in my house even give me hypos at that time, it is more we have come to the conclusion that those days those daysDo not put the lantus of the mñna because if it did not go down the day after descent, we blame (the endorino and me) to the stres of work because we do not think of another explanation.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/08/2014 11:39 a.m.

Yes, we have also tried that and what was going through the levemir at breakfast and raising quickly at dinner, was that for the day it came very high to food and dinner and then uploading the quick at dinner, we fell into us20:00 and 22: 30-23: 00 and at 03:00 we were equal or worse, or very high because we were going back after dinner or low low, because how she arrived at 00:00,It depends absolutely how it will arrive at 3 in the morning, that is the only thing that remains in this little one.

And when we talk about pattern changes, they are 0.25 in 0.25 up or down from either of the two fast or slow and affects it or below or below a barbarity ..., it is desperate ....... Well, they decided on the bomb.

nuriavegal
05/08/2014 12:19 p.m.

Ok Nuria, you say you can't configure more alarms than they come from, okay.So which do they come?
I guess one discharge will come and another one ... at what levels?or the levels to which they jump can be changed?

I feel so heavy and I thank you very much of the clarifications ... is that when buying an apparatus of that price, the safer you are that you can really help you better.

renoca's profile photo
renoca
05/08/2014 2:03 p.m.

Diabético "tipo 3"
Padre de Ilai (4 años)

Hello, you have a fixed one that cannot be changed to 55 and then the others that you can put them to what you want, you have high (I had it at 180 but I have removed it because as in the end you look at you every little you already see that it is goingGoing up, low (to 70 because as it takes 5 minutes of lag, in Novalab they recommend 80 but if you put it at 80 it is all the time whistling).
The trend of decline and upload trend and if I am not mistaken any more.
With the alarms first vibrates and if you do not press him, at 5 minutes he whistles and vibrates

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/08/2014 3:47 p.m.

There is also "out of rank" that is when it loses "coverage" with the transmitter.

nuriavegal
05/08/2014 5:09 p.m.

Nuria, to upload it, test to give juice of those who are packaged with straw.You can adjust better, and they even drink it almost without waking

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/08/2014 5:24 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello Regina.
When we are at Hicm we go with glucose, yogurt is when it is in 100 to keep it.It is also very comedian in addition, the juices are impossible, trying to trace it with juice is an odyssey because it refuses to swallow and give it arcades.We go back with Glucosmon (with what they ended up tracing in the hospital the last days of admission, already desperate for juice doctors and nurses ..... vomited) that with 10cc is enough, traces well and takes it quickly with syringe with syringeby the mouth and then yogurt or milk ...
It is very small, you cannot explain that although you do not like juice it has to be taken ....., when it is older, but now, it is difficult ... yogurt or milk at night I know itI give half asleep or asleep sometimes ... but for glucose it wakes up clearly, how much you note the flavor closes your mouth as with juice, but as it is very little quantity, I get it to put it with syringe as soon as it opens my mouth to little ones.
I hope that as all these things are growing, they are better, so small is frustrating ... Mine poor.

nuriavegal
05/08/2014 6:10 p.m.

One last doubt/question that I want to ask you.
Being the summer just around the corner, I suppose the MCG would not be very effective taking into account the pool, the beach ....
I understand that it should be removed for those occasions, so the measurements would never be good to turn it off and turn it on.
Or am I wrong and are submersible (sensor and receiver)?

renoca's profile photo
renoca
05/12/2014 9:50 a.m.

Diabético "tipo 3"
Padre de Ilai (4 años)

Supposedly endures 24 hours, I think 2m, the sensor and the transmitter, the receiver no, you have to leave the backpack, heh.
But you don't have to remove it, the pump is disconnected and it's already

Gala's profile photo
Gala
05/12/2014 11:46 a.m.

No, do not take it away.

By the way we turned a week and we are delighted with the device.Now I have the feeling that we were blind before, the hair controls only help you to calculate the insulin to administer but know the trends is essential to anticipate the problems!
Today we have restarted the sensor as the commercial indicated and it is working properly, to see how much it lasts ...

What they should improve thinking about their use in children, as I have already mentioned, is to be able to configure the volume and frequency of repetition of alarms in a personalized way and that the "coverage" radius in closed sites with walls, was more than 6meters.What we have not tried is in the open street that coverage has ... because as always goes or hand in the chair, or less than 6 meters ...., I have to check it and tell you.

nuriavegal
05/13/2014 4:42 p.m.

My husband and daughter used the continuous meter of Medtronic for some years my daughter in summer was impossible to take it because she took off from the skin both for sweat and for the water and my husband the first day that we stepped on the beach was started by theFirst wave ... the Dexcom has another different system of insertion and fixing, for my taste much better, so those who use it please, put your experiences for the summer, to see if they are indeed positive.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/14/2014 7:26 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.