Hello, new type 1 in August and with gift neuropathy

DiabetesForo's profile photo   12/29/2010 4:23 a.m.

Good morning,

In August I debuted as type 1 (I entered the urgencies with 400 blood glucose), so I join (against my will xD) to this community :)

It turns out that the youngest of my problems is currently diabetes, since with this my gift of gift a beautiful diabetic neuropathy that is making my life impossible.Already in February 2010 they began to hurt their feet, but I did not blame it for anything in particular, but in July I could no longer.I was always exhausted, I had lost a lot of weight and the pain did not go down, so I went to the doctor, they made the relevant blood analysis and sent me to the emergency department with diagnostic diabetes mellitus.There he spent about 7 days, and when I left, I was better, but hell hell began to the two weeks.Before my feet bothered me, now they really hurt.I had in feet and hands punctures, cramps, burning, etc., apart from muscular atrophy that appeared to me in feet and legs.So much that it is not I could not walk, it could neither reason, nor sleep, nor anything.They made me an electromyography that confirmed the diabetic neuropathy, and from more or less that point things fell further.The medication they gave me (Lyrica + Cymbalta + Rivotril + Tramadol) did not help me almost anything with the pain (I was with her like 4 months) and on top, I left me totally stunned.I couldn't drive, I couldn't see a movie ... I was half a zombie.

Thanks to my parents, who found a quite good private neurologist, they changed the treatment for Tegretol + Tryptizol.A week, I already noticed improvement, but I think that with the dose I am taking, I have already touched the roof, and it is time to check, so I will do it shortly.

After all this roll, I would like to be able to talk to people who have paced this disease (diabetic neuropathy) since although they say it is temporary, nobody says how long it lasts, and I do not know if we talk about months or years.
I would like to exchange opinions, tricks to cope with it better, experiences, etc.
I know it is a rare affection of diabetes, but someone has to be more than me who has had to go through this.

All the best,
FFELAGUND.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
12/29/2010 4:23 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

BIWN has come ffelagund.Hopefully you are lucky and someone can inform you, I am sure that when you regulate your sugar you will improve, patience and vijila the hydrates eeee!:)) You have a short time, encourage and you will tell us.:)

Consu's profile photo
Consu
12/29/2010 2:05 p.m.

DM LADA (7-4-09). Con 50 años. Novorrapit flexpen, y Tresiva. Sin complicaciones.

Hi FFELAGUND
Welcome to the Club ...........

It has caught my attention that they would give you rivotril: shock: it is a benzodiazepine usually used with epilepsy patients ... normal that it would not help you much, I amoded you but did not calm your pain.They usually prescribe anticonvulsants, but I had not heard that they prescribed this, but well.

Do not believe that diabetic neuropathy is something rare ... unfortunately the cases are much more than usual;However, today these pathologies are usually controlled much better.

The prognosis of diabetic neuropathy is impossible to say, it depends on the patient ... some improve and others do not ... and it is not known very well why:-/ :?
What is in your hands is to have a glycosilada below 7%, this is the ñunico true

A couple of links:

This link although it is technical, can help you to know that there are other techniques (non -pharmacological) in case conventional drug treatment is not enough.

DiabetesForo
12/30/2010 2:02 p.m.

Good morning,

Thanks for your messages :) Forgive that I have not responded quickly these days, but it is that one more complication has come out, caused by neuropathy.Just as it has caused me muscle atrophy in my legs (something that I am already correcting for a few months through visits to the fisiterapeuta), now I have a problem in the "vertical joint" of the abdominals, also produced by hypotonia.Anyway, it gives me that to get out of this I will have to exercise more than Swarzzeneger.

Apart from that, my last glycosliate (HBA1C right? I am a little fish even with the terminologies) is 5.6, so I think I'm going well in the control of my glycemia.I try to always be somewhat low, because I am really afraid of neuropathy, and I know that the best help is good blood glucose control.

Right now I am putting only Lantus (42 units) and very sporadically Humalog (1 or 2 units when I need it) with that, and the diet that they have put me, I usually be within the objectives that have been assigned to me.Now that I have to start playing sports I suppose this will change and we will have to readjust, but it doesn't worry me.Actually, diabetes for me is more a nuisance than a disease.My real problem is neuropathy and its derived effects, which are the ones that do not let me live :( today, I have slept 3 hours in total, and they have been giving war the feet all night. I had not happened to me for a long time,But I have already assumed that this is an evolution with peaks and valleys, and I have not yet found relationship between my activities/habits with those peaks and valleys, so nothing, to continue investigating, and carrying it as I can.

Greetings to all and thanks for listening to me :),
FFELAGUND

DiabetesForo
12/31/2010 4:15 a.m.

Welcome Ffegalund and I hope you get better quickly.

And I thinking that neuropathy could appear after many years of diabetes and regular control ufffff .... I have stayed: shock:

DiabetesForo
12/31/2010 4:29 a.m.

Welcome to the forum: d.
I have also been checked, like meadow.I hope better soon.Keep counting.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/01/2011 6:36 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

The truth is that I think something I have improved in these months.I have less hypersensitive feet and I feel something cold again, and I don't think it is caused by medication, but I still have a long way to go.

Thank you :)

DiabetesForo
01/02/2011 7:14 a.m.

Hello, the truth is that I had never heard a case like yours but I also have neuropathy and that does not heal you will only take it better with good controls and above all care with the footwear, it is very upset to me and it happens to me and you desperate, be patientAnd take care of yourself

DiabetesForo
03/15/2011 5:39 p.m.

Well, I like to say that I have improved a lot, I suppose that thanks to the Tegretol+Tryptizol (carbamacepine+amitriptyline) the burning pain has practically disappeared and the punctures and cramps occur very rarely rarely after the day.I keep recovering from muscle atrophy, and sometimes my feet hurt not for neuropathy, if not because of the little strength of the muscles in the area (it is like after having walked barefoot for a long time through a rock beach) I continue with little sensitivityIn plants and with a strange and unchanging sensation to touch, but the change since I wrote the first message so far has been exponential.

I also believe (for what doctors tell me) that the recovery curve is normal.That is, the first 4-6 months are really very bad, but then the progress is seen week by week.The truth, I'm quite happy :)

With respect to diabetes, the truth, "thank you" to neuropathy, nor had I noticed that I was there, that is, before a much more painful and immediate problem, the diabetes seemed to me a simple discomfort (clicking my finger, dietAnd putting insulin, practically is nothing) now that I can focus more on it I have better control.I wear about 38 of Lantus (I have to go down a little more) and a Humalog unit in each meal.My numbers with these guidelines are around 90-130 on average (sometimes I can be lower or higher, but in a timely manner)

Now that I see the end of the tunnel a little, I will allow myself to give advice in case someone looks in my same situation (Type 1 debut at 25-35 years with acute diabetic neuropathy):

The first, a dose of reality: the first months you will have a bad time, really bad, and there is not much to do about it.The medicines they give, rather than relieving pain, struck you and take away from reasoning (you are much slower thinking) but if they are not taken, the subject becomes really unbearable.I know, because when I changed my treatment, I was a couple of days with the clean body of medicines, and in those two days I entered the emergency crises for anxiety and pain to the point of fainting.The two days.

Another "contrariety" is the dream.Let's see, nobody can sleep if there is a person pinching his arm continuously.Well, this is the same.If the feet/legs hurt, there is nothing to do, it will not be able to sleep much.In any case intermittently and a few hours.While it really hurt, no medicine really helped me (later with softer pains if they helped, but with the fat fat, nothing) took several derivatives of benzodiazepines: orfidal (Lorazepam), rivotril (clonazepam), Nobritol F (amitriptyline+medazepam), even some hypnotic like stylnox.Nothing, in the acute phase they didn't help me almost anything.You have to accept it.But later if they help (always under your doctor, that this are drugs that produce dependence and tolerance)

At this stage it helped me to go to physiotherapist (essential to recover the muscle tone lost by neuropathy) and relaxing massages, which although they do not take away your pain, give you a time of relief that is appreciated.

It is also very important to have support in the family and feel supported and loved.I say it because above all that happened to me, at that stage my wife had depression (because of circumstances that do not come to mind) and she also needed help, and was not to give it to me.

An important aspect in neuropathy, is that if you have problems, concerns and stress, it hurts more.Not that it seems that it hurts, it hurts more.The reason, they told me at the time, but I only stayed with the idea, but for you to get an idea, that is the reason why they give antidepressants as a support treatment.

As a miraculous remedy for a little while, which makes you forget aLittle pain and encourage you, sex.It is the best medicine for the body and mind.I do not say it in the pussy.Help one forget what he has for a while.

After those 6 months (more or less) you will begin to notice improvements.The punctures are not so often, there may be full days without punctures, the burning low of intensity, and from here everything will be easier.You will be more animated, you will have physical abilities to do more things: go for a walk, go to work a few hours a day (if your boss allows you, in my case I was lucky, and they give me a lot of wide manga), etc.

I also strongly advise to leave home frequently, even if it is to buy the newspaper, an apple, the purchase, or walk half an hour.Being a long time followed at home induces depression, since it does not stop thinking about the disease, and one concentrates on what the disease hurts and how disabled it is.You have to get out of the house even to take a walk to the block (as soon as this is not a suffering, of course), and if you have to take crutches to help themselves, they take (I took them)

In general, anything that distracts the minds of the problems of one, will relieve pain, which even little, will be appreciated.

Summarizing: courage and endure as you can.This is something that comes out yes or yes :)

Anyway, I feel the bump, but I felt wanting to tell it :)

P.D: My last two hba1c bimonnsual were 5.6 ^^

Greetings to all and thanks for listening to me :)

DiabetesForo
03/15/2011 6:40 p.m.

Congratulations for that great improvement.Your experience will help who is in that situation, although debuting with neuropathy is very rare.
The hemoglobins you have are as good as those of a non -diabetic, so you will fully recover.
After what you have happened you will know how to enjoy life.
A hug: d

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/15/2011 7:09 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

FFELAGUND
Hello, what, my name is Gerardo Prado and I am from Monterrey Nuevo Leon in Mexico, after so many internet searches trying to find a single post where they would talk about this disease I could get here, and despite my great discomfort, it gives me aHuge taste to be able to confirm a little of my vivicity, at this time I have been suffering this acute diabetic neuropathy for almost 4 months, and seeing your post friend because the tears came out, it is as if I had written it, and these tears are despairSo much helplessness because of this disease that I have led me to play a bottom in my life, it does not let me sleep or work or enjoy my children and my wife, but I hope you can get up a little moral or give me hope, since here in MonterreyI have not found a single person who has suffered the disease in this way, most diabetics think that neuropathic pains are normal, but I already realized that no, none have these pains all the days every day, and thenThey tell me ... "This is never taken away" and I really could not live thinking that this inability will have it all my life, I am type 2 diabetic, it is not by inheritance but that I myself cause it with the excesses inLiquids such as "Cococola", juices, fresh waters, which contain a lotI have gone through the same as you, and I would like to know how you feel today that by the dates of your post and the comments you should have overcome, tell me if one really heals and these pains leave, of course my sugar toIt has been the easiest to control, there are even days that I do not even take metformin and when I take a pill the short in three pieces and I only take a small piece a day, I hope you can give me a little information about how you are today, batallo a lot withMy noble parts, it is another detail that I would like to know if you also felt, I thank you for your post because I have given me a lot of learning at this time ...

jerryprado's profile photo
jerryprado
01/12/2012 12:41 p.m.

Hi Gerardo,

First of all, express my solidarity with you, since few can imagine what is a pain that is as if you had your feet in a bonfire 24 hours a day, along with the cramps and punches that seem stab.
Second, to give you hope, because you will improve, much, until almost totally well (at least I have not reached 100%, but at 95)
I tell you how my progression was, why knowing what is coming to one helps a lot.My symptoms, apart from the acute pain that you already know very well, I had also lost sensitivity in a calf.It was like a piece of wood to touch.I also lost erectile capacity, and of course, the sensitivity in the soles of the feet to the touch

First, the first 6 months go wrong, very bad, really bad.At least they were drugged but not being able to at that stage.I tried several treatments (Lyrica, opiaceos, etc.), but in the end, what triumphed was the tegretol (carbamacepine) + tryptizol.From starting with this other treatment, the improvement was notably noticed.
In short: 0-6 months, bad, very bad, the worst stage.After 6 months you start improving.The pain begins to be more bearable.When you arrive more or less at 9 months, the smile makes your face.You can start leading a normal life, return to work, give walks, drive, etc.A year, let's say "it doesn't hurt, that is, burning has stayed in a nuisance that good, it can annoy or not, but you still need to rest and not give you many beatings.I am now a year and a half (I continue with Tegretol), and I can tell you, that except some that punishes me (a lot of time standing, loading things, etc) and I have some discomfort (of the guy, that you do not like to be triedlegs or feet) I am almost perfect.I have no more cramps or burning (except those "mild" discomfort), I have totally recovered the sensitivity in the calves (not on the soles of the feet) and I no longer have problems with the erection.I lead a perfectly normal life and does not condition me at all.Let's say I only tire a little before the others.

Keep in mind that after the diabetic debut, the body suffers a lot and will take time to recover, there is neuropathy or not.Now, at this time, I start walking as before.I have moral to jump a railing instead of surrounding it and things like that.Surely you understand me.
I lost about 15kg of muscle mass and I had leg atrophy.The physiotherapist sessions and with the electrical plates to stimulate the muscle and gain muscle mass, as well as some massages from time to time.

As a final note I tell you what is the most important thing you can do: 1º Having your family support, it is very important.At least I was incapacitated, to wear crutches when I could walk, but above all, the best thing you can do to recover, is to keep your glucose levels always low (be careful with hypoglycemia, of course).If the low manientes, the nerves regenerate, if not, they continue to die.

Anyway, I hope I have been helpful, and mood, that you need it :) think it is a year that you are going to have a very bad time (let's not fool ourselves) but you will recover completely (this is what you wanted to hear, surely :))

Jacobo.

DiabetesForo
01/13/2012 11:24 a.m.

Thanks Jacobo!I really appreciate your answers, support and solidarity ... I could barely answer for lack of time, but your advice has served me a lot, hopefully we can continue in contact by this means and support whoever manages to see this post, since confirmingthat this is definitely not common in the diabetics (I still do not know anyone but you) ... fortunately the worst is happening, but I know that I will have to have more patience to recover 100 percent .... THANK YOUNew Jacobo.. I send you a hug from Monterrey, Mexico and don't forget that here you have a friend.

jerryprado's profile photo
jerryprado
01/29/2012 6:46 p.m.

Hi Jacobo, Hi Gerardo,

I am Mariano, I write to you from Hamburg although I am from Madrid.

Luckily having found your posts about diabetes and neuropathy.For 3 weeks I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I am 37 years old and neuropathy appeared to me slightly this winter although I thought they were pain caused by the cold of Germany.With the good weather it disappeared until I discovered that it was diabetic in August and with insulin treatment the neuropathy has started again, with more intensity and it seems that it goes more and the truth is that I have a little terror after reading yourPost although in the end it seems that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Is it possible that at the beginning of insulin treatment, neuropathy becomes more intense?
Do you know if there is any relationship between pain and cold or heat? Is it convenient to do sports to improve or playing more pain?

Thank you very much in advance,

greetings

marianohh's profile photo
marianohh
09/07/2012 1:20 p.m.

Hi Marianuaer,

What you say is perfectly possible, in fact, it is exactly what happened to me, and more or less at my age.
With respect to cold/heat, I do not think it affects pain, but keep in mind that having less sensitivity notes less heat/cold, so you can burn (especially with hot water) if you do not care carefully.

The theme of sport, if neuropathy leaves you, do it.He will not heal you, but it is much better than being at home all day, and above all, the mood goes up.

Greetings, and improve yourself!
Jacobo.

DiabetesForo
12/27/2012 10:26 a.m.

Thanks Jacobo for the tips, it would be good if you comment a little your current state;)

The truth is that so far I have not wanted to resort to medicines because I had already read that little effect had, in addition to affecting your daily activity.In these 6 months I have had two acute crises that last about 3 or 4 weeks, although the rest of the time I still feel burning or strange sensitivity.My doctor has told me that indeed in very few cases when starting insulin therapy, acute neuropathy can occur but that it should disappear ... and it should above all to have patience and control of blood glucose (now I have 6.4 of HBA1C, Lantus 15U,and novorapid in each meal).It was he who recommended me to avoid medicating as far as possible.

However, you comment that you are taking tegretol (carbamacepine) + tryptizol and gives you a good result (I suppose that each person works a treatment).How long did you take it?Could you have a normal activity?Do nerves regenerate?Do you control pain? ...

Thanks again!

marianohh
01/29/2013 9:49 a.m.

Hello, please some questions to which you have officially diagnosed peripheral neuropathy:

Is it suffered only at night?
Did you have legs of legs, dolls etc?Pains in other parts of the body that have told you because of this.
Before you debuted with diabetes, those parts of the body hurt?

Thank you

luisjmlky's profile photo
luisjmlky
10/07/2013 12:12 p.m.

Hello everyone, Hello Louisjmlky.

On the one hand I just want to comment that after not enduring the pain, I started a treatment with gabapentin (antiepileptic) that only worked the first days.A month I started a duloxetine treatment (antidepressant that blocks serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake) and the truth is that my quality of life has significantly improved.I barely feel a puncture or none in weeks.I have had only a couple of days and the burning appears sometimes and in a very dim and bearable way.I guess each one is a different medication.And surely some will work for you.

Luis: The pain increases in the afternoon and at night it reaches the maximum.But you can also have in the morning.In fact I woke up in the morning when the pain began.Intense pain appears when you relax or sleep, for example a nap (I have been a year and a half unable to take a nap).The punctures although they are normally in the lower member may appear in hands, arms and thighs.Before the DM was diagnosed, I only felt intense cold/burning sometimes and noticed that I lost sensitivity in some parts of the foot.After starting insulin treatment all pains increased.It seems that this is caused by an inflammation of the "diabetic neurosis" nerves and if you control your sugar values ​​in the long run they could disappear ... or not ... who knows!

luck

marianohh
02/12/2014 7:14 p.m.

They told me that Tka had no pain the only strange thing was that I had to move my leg all the time and some night canebres in the twins ... they set Lyryca for a while and then removed it but it was now bimdn for me for theNeuropathy I don't take anything ...

otti's profile photo
otti
02/13/2014 4:24 a.m.

Hello,

Well, after several years, finally, a couple of months ago all medication related to neuropathy.Right now I don't have pain, I don't remember anything about neuropathy at any time :)
I still have a rare sensitivity sensation, I suppose that is no longer heals, but seen as it was at the beginning, it is almost a miracle.I have also recovered from the muscular atrophy in my legs, in fact I make mountain and bike, and although I have started recently, I have replaced a couple of kilos of fat by muscle.
My HBA1C remains at 5.6-5,8, 42 of Lantus (weight 94kg), and 6 of Humalog (Humalog 3 times a day)

In endocrine reviews, they always tell me that I take out outstanding and that I have good control of diabetes, and that is key to neuropathy.

So those who have touched this load, patience, good control of glycemia, and encouragement!

DiabetesForo
06/13/2014 4:39 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.