{'en': 'Travel by plane and far away', 'es': 'Viajar en avión y bien lejos'} Image

Travel by plane and far away

DiabetesForo's profile photo   01/08/2011 5:29 p.m.

Hello everyone!

I just registered in this forum and it is that in a month I will make a trip to Punta Cana and it is the first time I travel since I have diabetes, I have never got on an airplane!

The question is that if they put an inconvenience in the airports (from Spain and outside) when it comes to carrying insulin and others, if you need to wear something on you or do not ..... and if they let you go up with some offood .. I don't know everything you may need ..

Thank you!!

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/08/2011 5:29 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

On this page you have a few tips:

There are 3 basic things:

- Keep your doctor's report (the header can be worth), in English and in Spanish, where you have diabetes and your treatment.On the website above there is a report model.
It can be useful to carry a recipe with the medicines you use, there is your name and medicines ... It is a way to demonstrate that what you carry is yours.

Normally in the airport controls do not put fights, provided you identify it and notice in advance.

- Do not invoice either the insulin or the glucometer ... Take it on top with you during the flight ... The temperature of the plane's cellar is below 0 degrees and you have many possibilities that insulin spoils

- It carries insulin, needles, lancetas ... at least twice what you will need (according to time)

That you do well!

DiabetesForo
01/09/2011 3:34 a.m.

Thank you very much you have been a great help because I was a little lost! Thank you

DiabetesForo
01/09/2011 4:14 p.m.

Another question, I can not take cookies or some hydrates in the handbag because even if they eat for the flight hours they are, if it gives me a hypoglycemia I will have to carry something on top and for my tranquility too! They put youAny problem with that ??

DiabetesForo
01/09/2011 4:50 p.m.

Hi Silvia. The second time we have gone to Punta Cana my son was already diabetic and at no time gave us a problem ... the medical report being speaking Spanish only in Spanish.As for juices, cookies and others also let us pass it without problems, I did not carry it in the handbag but in the briefcase that had all the insulins, needles and others ... Hurry very well and enjoy the weather and the beach and the beach... Be careful with the rum :))

DiabetesForo
01/10/2011 4:46 a.m.

To everything said above, if you use Lantus, keep the schedule of Spain, or adapt the time change controlling the effect.

Good trip and enjoy it.

Greetings.

Nacho_71's profile photo
Nacho_71
01/11/2011 3:53 a.m.

Hello!!!

A DUE ... anyone traveled to the US lately?I don't know how controls are on medicine issues, I suppose that with a doctor's report it will already be suffering?

tica's profile photo
tica
01/11/2011 8:28 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hello!I have crossed the puddle recently.I was in Mexico with a scale in Miami and they didn't put any paste or insulins, glucometer or cookies.I also had some more medicine of these necessities and they did not put in my use or in Mexico either.

The issue of liquids is more movie since they have it very looked at in all airports.If you have been certified, you may not put you hit but I believe that this also depends a little on the person who passes you control, you can always tell you that you can buy a juice or a Coca Cola inside the control zone.In the case of children they are usually less strict because if the father says it, they admit it, but if an adult arrives and tries to pass a Coca Cola or a fanta with the "excuse" that it is diabetic I think they think about itTwice (I have never tried to pass any liquid so this is just an opinion).

On this occasion I had a certified one and they did not ask me, in fact the two times that I have crossed to the USA juice or not that for me is of no importance because if there is no juice you can trace hypoglycemia with something else- you will avoid unpleasant surprises if someone puts you hits the insulin or glucometer, which are essential.

As for the Lantus as they commented there, you have to adapt it to the schedule.For example, when I went to Mexico, I punctured me in the morning (8.30-9.00), what I did was start modifying the schedule little by little for 10 days before in Spain until I click at 4:00 p.m. in Spain that coincides with the 9: 00 From there.Even making these changes and having a few days to adapt, the two times that I have crossed the puddle I have observed that it is not the same and that the first days, at least for me it is chaos (glucemics maintained from 300 for 4 or 5 daysand many more novorapid need to try to get down at normal levels).In the USA I ailled it to the type of food (a lotHe changed having to climb 5 IU La Lantus and around 4-5 IU/DIA distributed in the Novorapid meals in the first 8 days.10 days after being there I went down again and when I returned to Spain I was already in my usual doses.I do not know if this will have happened to more people, but that you know that it can happen and it is not because you are getting blind to eat (which can also be).

I hope you have a great time and enjoy the beach and the mojitos (yes without abusing););

ciao!

martagsc's profile photo
martagsc
01/13/2011 1:36 p.m.

GLUCAGON SUBJECT.The solution they give me is to carry it inside a refrigerated bag (it's like wine cooler).Per of course, there are many hours of travel and then I lame bus of a couple more hours to destination.In that destination, the hotel has a refrigerator but it is at least and although you rise the power it is somewhat fresh but not at all as a normal fridge.
How long can the glucagon "survive" in those conditions?
When I return home, if I have not used it, should I throw it and buy another?Can I put it again in the fridge?

An important detail that you comment: in the travel letter, according to your data and your medical specifications and above all you carry, which is added that you must and it is necessary to travel with a cookie package or with a fruit juice minibrick.Thus they will let these products pass in case they are needed.

On the other hand, it is a gain every time you travel to the endocrine or the hospital to make the letter.Lose hours of work, etc ... Is there a generic letter?Or isn't it worth?At the moment they have always made me a specific one, but I would like to know if there is a letter "Multiviajes".For example, if you work as a commercial representative and every week you have to be traveling, how do you do?

DiabetesForo
09/17/2014 8:22 a.m.

Roger@, do not worry about the glucagon, according to the prospect, the glucagon holds 18 months at room temperature (within the expiration date) so see if you have margin, which then does not goals in the fridge.
Regarding the juices or food inside the plane, if I have put it in the report but I have no problems with that and that they begin to ask for papers or inspect everything, what I do is that I buy ajuice or fanta and a sandwich or snack in the stores from inside, once I have already passed through the Scaner and the arch.Buying it inside, as if you put an elephant, they don't put any paste.

Gala's profile photo
Gala
09/17/2014 8:40 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Cookies you can wear all you want, as if you want to fill your suitcase just with cookies hahaha.The problem is with liquids, I have not put me problems to put a juice that I was carrying in my bag, but in other airports from outside yes.Although in the letter he specified that he needed to put sugary drinks, they are reluctant and they tell you that he better buy it inside.
With the subject needles, insulin etc.I have never had a problem.Moreover, I have always said that I had the report and they don't even look at it.

The endocrine made me a generic letter to travel by plane and it is the one that uses where to go, that is, it is not a specific.

Laire's profile photo
Laire
09/17/2014 8:10 p.m.

22 años. Tipo 1, debut 06/2014.
22 u. Lantus por las mañanas + Apidra

Idem.
I come to use 4-6 airplanes per week and I have no problem with airports.
Only in France and Switzerland, where they are toca-stubborn, they pass the anti-drag scanner to the pump ...
Otherwise, less fears and more enjoy !!

miguelten's profile photo
miguelten
01/05/2015 4:58 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.