They create a bionic pancreas that regulates the level of sugar in diabetics

fer's profile photo   06/16/2014 1:19 p.m.

A new bionic pancreas, created by US researchers, can transform the lives of many diabetics.The inability of the pancreas of people with type 1 diabetes of generating insulin properly forces themof a small bomb.On the other hand, this device allows to control the glucose in real time and dose the necessary insulin at all times, adapting to the circumstances of the individual.

That is, in the same way that an automatic thermostat keeps the temperature of a house stable, apart from the cold or the reigning heat, the new bionic pancreas constantly regulates the level of glucose in the blood, thus preventing the dangerous increases orSudden sugar drops.

Specifically, a tiny sensor placed in a small needle that inserts under the skin automatically measures blood glucose levels and sends the information to a smartphone, which in turn gives the order to two small pumps to supply theadequate amount of insulin or glucagon (the hormone that counteracts).Although other systems had previously presented, the improvements developed now allow each individual to be adapted better and that the dose is administered from the mobile that reaches the sensor data wirelessly.

Successfully tested

The ingenuity has been created by scientists from the University of Boston and the Massachusetts General Hospital and has been successfully tested in two group of people, one composed of 20 adults who took the device for five days without having to restrict their daily activity, and another for 32 young people between 12 and 20 who had the bionic pancreas with the same time space in a camp for boys with type 1 diabetes.

The results have been published in New England Journal of Medicine."The behavior of our system, both in adults and adolescents, exceeded our expectations under the demanding conditions posedFinal is finding the cure of the disease, he affirms that, meanwhile, this technology keeps healthy patients and safe from hypoglycemia and "removes a huge emotional and practical load from their shoulders."

fer's profile photo
fer
06/16/2014 1:19 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Phenomel that are taking out thing but ... we have to wear 3 pots, a sensor and 2 pumps?Well, I don't know, it seems effective but very comfortable I don't see it ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
06/16/2014 2:49 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

I would have put 2 or 3 more cables ...

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/16/2014 3:02 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

But the pancreas is that really ?????
Pos is going to be that I do not sign up

Gala's profile photo
Gala
06/16/2014 3:33 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Hello ... if you look ... everything goes through a dexcom.
I believe that the theory is easy, connect a bomb to a dexcom and make decisions according to that data (we already have it with the anima vibe), the problem is that the "defense" lacks, that is, the option to injectThe glucagon or equivalent to upload it when it comes down.Come on, a good device.

greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
06/16/2014 4:52 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

gala said:
but the pancreas is that really ?????
Pos is going to be that I do not sign up

That is a photo of the device yes.

Pabloj2000 said:
Hello ... if you look ... everything goes through a dexcom.
I believe that the theory is easy, connect a bomb to a dexcom and make decisions according to that data (we already have it with the anima vibe), the problem is that the "defense" lacks, that is, the option to injectThe glucagon or equivalent to upload it when it comes down.Come on, a good device.

No, this pump is bi-hormonal, that is, inject insulin and glucagon according to the body.That is the advance, the problem is that he uses 2 canulas with his cables, apart from the Dexcom sensor.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
06/16/2014 5:05 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well, something is something .. it is perfect ...It seems a lie that this is so behind.If it were a new mobile .., if there was a good business, we would have already integrated and miniaturized in a chip ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/16/2014 9:36 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

If I have not lied with everything I read yesterday, the novelty is in what Sherpa says, it is bi-hormonal ... although the glucage had to fill it daily so that it does not spoil (that is what another is investigatingcompany, glucage at room temperature).
Unfortunately, there are things that cannot be miniaturized ... If insulin and glucage have to be injected, there will have 2 deposits and 2 cannulas.So the famous "artificial pancreas" cannot differ much from that image.

I only see how great advances:
- The cure (logically)
- A continuous meter that is like a grain of rice inserted in the skin and sending information to the mobile (that is, an improved DEXcom))
- "pure" insulin also inserted in the body (I don't know how or where) and that is released according to the organism's needs.

Except

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
06/17/2014 6:46 a.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

The photo of the thousand dressings is great ...

Well, until the Dexcom is not more reliable, this is impossible.He spent 2 months wanting to be 70 at night, because the dexcom insisted that I am 40 ... well nothing, turn off the gossip every night ... If the artificial pancreas cannot adjust normal values, for me it is not a goodsolution

tica's profile photo
tica
06/17/2014 10:09 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

.... 70?at night?Of course, that is fine fine fine fine (for my situation, it is hypoglycemia).Isn't it very dangerous?I believe that the Dexcom acts prudently, it is better than marking 40 having 70, that I mark 100 I think, but I am wrong ... You already know that each diabetic has its diabetes.

In any case, I believe that taking the Dexcom data if it can make it reasonably well works (and I would not be surprised that the "brain" of this set still put more precautions than Dexcom itself, consider values ​​higher than those received, etc.)

all the best

pabloj2000
06/17/2014 12:09 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

If the basal is well calculated, you can spend the night to 70. I am also pregnant and the closer glycemia to what would be normal better.

How do you have the limits?

tica's profile photo
tica
06/17/2014 2:17 p.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Hello ... 100 and 260 (and I do not understand the limit below 100 in the Dexcom .... would put 110).Yes, I understand the pregnancy perfectly.Anyway, what has been said, each is a world, in my case it is absolutely impossiblePatatús causes hypoglycemia ...

All the best

pabloj2000
06/17/2014 2:32 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.