Glymic variability

mornita's profile photo   01/26/2011 3:53 a.m.

I have read some post lately where the glycemic variability is cited, among what values ​​is it considered to be adequate variability?I say it because pretending that a diabetic does not touch the 200 seems like a chimera, and that no inadvertent hypoglycemia is eaten too.This theme stresses me a lot, it is not enough with a good hemo, or good controls, now this too.Apart how can you know if you don't carry a continuous meter?To consider it almost an unattainable goal, I say it precisely because I do observe a diabetic with a continuous meter daily, and UF!It is complicated that sometimes you do not escape your hands.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
01/26/2011 3:53 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have always been a very formal and "adherent person to treatment" (as medical professionals call him), and what you comment has always caused me a lot of stress and anxiety.Fortunately, I have been able to control that concern, because I have already assumed that - as you say - it is impossible to maintain glycemia in values ​​even close to normoglycemia.In addition, as I imagine you will know, the lower hemoglobin, the more risk there is hypoglycemia, because its effects can be much harder.The different studies that have been done recommend maintaining glycosylated hemoglobin below seven, but on the other hand, there is also bibliography that indicates that a very low hemoglobin (below 6.5%) does not imply any improvement in the face of complicationsof diabetes, while on the contrary the possibilities of having severe hypoglycemia.That is, the benefits-risgo ratio is not interesting.

In short, variability does not have adequate figures such as those handled for glycosylated hemoglobin.It is that our standard deviation in the glycemia values ​​collected have a fork as little as possible.But it is not a guideline of "Grade A", and it must only be a recommended option to the extent of our possibilities.
The most important thing in diabetes-if we can establish an "order of priorities"-is to have pre-comida glycemia.because?Because that means that the hours before meals also remain in decent values, and that means that the basal insulin we put is adequate.And then, once this issue is controlled, try to control the posts, especially the most difficult for the amount of intake we make;The food.But even assuming that the food posts are not good, you should not worry excessively, because everything depends on how many hours a day you are in high values.It is not the same to be high only 3 hours a day and the decent rest, than to be all day with good values ​​but many highs, than to be all day, but with many hypos.All this is already curling the curl, and once your hemoglobin is under control, it is when you can start trying to control this topic too.

The continuous meter is interesting, but it raises an important risk: that you leave the pot, controlling the glucose figure and continuously reacting to the values ​​we see.As in everything, you have to have your head in your place and assimilate that a person with several insulin scheduled injections can never have the figures of someone who produces insulin at discretion endogenous.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/26/2011 4:48 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

I believe that glycemic variability refers more to not being in constant hyper-pipos ...... have 200 values, especially if they are postprandial, and more in a child, brunette, is acceptable ... as theÁngela's endocrine, I am very demanding and when I see figures above 180 the color in blue and it seems to me that the whole quadrant is full of hyper, "if not, it would not be diabetic" ... I do not stress me for that... I stress me when blood glucose changes, when you go up and keep inexplicably high figures ...
Regarding what you say about the meter, Gondrullo, I assure you that this obsession with the figures is removed at the 2nd week of carrying it ... Then you just look at time, or when I whistle ... in fact, in fact, in fact,I thought that but without being able to be and Angela already put it from time to time.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/26/2011 5:14 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

Velia, I imagine yes, like everything, you get used to it.But the argument of "losing your head" and pretending to control until the last minute I quote it because it is usually used by not a few medical professionals.I personally sound like a shield to try to delay the inevitable;that the supplies of continuous meters end inexorably in the catalog of benefits of our national health system.Because that same argument would probably be used years old with current meters, because we could look at each other when we wanted to.Which does not take away, on the other hand, so that effectively, you have to have your head in your place and know that we cannot and should constantly correct what we see on the screens of these continuous meters.But I imagine that the adaptation to these pots will also be variable depending on each person's way of being.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
01/26/2011 5:54 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

Can you explain what the continuous meter is?I've been with diabetes for a year and I have never heard about him

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/26/2011 7:23 a.m.

The name is quite self -descriptive, they are devices that serve to measure blood glucose levels continuousmoment (I think they do a control every 5 minutes) allows to react before (although it can also be an obsession to have excess information ...) then it is possible to remove that data from the device and make graphs, make a real curve of everything youIt occurs throughout the day, seeing how glycemia affects anything.
They are charisimos (both the device and consumables: sensors) and in general they are usually quite invasive.

DiabetesForo
01/26/2011 7:47 a.m.

I think I have not explained well to what I was referring to, leaving aside the issue of the meter, I have my opinion very clear about it, based on the experience, and since I do not go to commission ... of this as of the insulin bombI have already left scalded a few times, so I will not give explanations of my "mental stability" that not glycemic 8).
It gives me the impression that new "technicalisms" are introduced but solve, we solve little, that's why I asked between what values ​​you have to move?It looks like a consolation prize for a high hemo, I have 7.5 but with little glycemic variability: shock: or on the contrary I have a hemo of 6 but with a lot of glucemic variability.Do not misunderstand me but that is already curling the curl.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
01/26/2011 9:51 a.m.

I have tried 3 times to send a post ... unsuccessful ... tomorrow I try

Velia's profile photo
Velia
01/26/2011 12:39 p.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

According to the ADA (Association of American Diabetics) the values ​​in which you have to move are between 80 and 120 mg/dl before meals and 140 and 180 mg/dl after meals, all this in a guidance.

If you are there 70% of the days (PQ it is impossible to be 100% of the days because this disease is this damage ...) you will have glycosylated hemoglobins that will walk between 6.5 and 7.0% and in terms of hemoglobins it will be a control will be a controlWell or very good, but it is not the only thing to look at ... I think it is equally important or more to have stable diabetes control: not having serious hypoglycemia (some mild is impeccable that it is going to have it, every patient treatedWith insulin can suffer hypoglycemia) not having hyperglycemia every 2x3, not having cholesterol and/or triglyceride problems, staying in weight ...

DiabetesForo
01/26/2011 12:52 p.m.

By glycemic variability, I understand a glycemia profile full of peaks, above and below ... glycemia of 300 and 40 on the same day, for many days ...

I think we all know the bad body that stays after a while with those disparate values ​​within the same day ...

A glycosilada of 6.5 will always be better than one of 7 ... however, if the 6.5 is full of peaks there is more danger of complications.
The veins and arteries expand and contract ... but they have a limited capacity, if we force them to stretch and contract many times they can end up breaking long before the blood flow is more or less continuous ...

I have counted many times that my worst hiccups was the day of my debut ... I entered with 500 and peak and 3 hours later I came out of urgencies with 150 ... made dust, trembling and needing to eat urgently ... Repeat that situation many timesIt has repercussions on the body safely, I do not know if in the short or medium term, but it has consequences.

The problem is the usual, that we talk about probabilities and no certainty ... because each body is different and reacts in a way, some "regenerate" better and others worse, some compensate very well and others compensate better the descent... And we could fill thousands of different aspects ...

DiabetesForo
01/26/2011 1:58 p.m.

Hello everyone, I am in 7´3 and I think it is high.
Health.: D

DiabetesForo
01/26/2011 2:12 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.