Summer Bricolage for Diabetics

ernesto's profile photo   07/26/2014 4:09 p.m.

Debute in December and when the heats approach we calculate that insulin would not endure since normal travels a lot by car through Valencia, Alicante and Murcia and then the weekend we work in the field ....
We bought the wallet that gets wet with water and cools by evaporation.My soon we began to ask ourselves questions, especially because we also started seeing that the amount of water that captured us and therefore the duration decreased.
After a short research we saw that basically the hydrogels (which is the product that captures water) are polyacrylamides or acrylamides of sodium or potassium.Commercially it is not usually specified and PAM is named, which complicates the purchase.
The reason that it is losing effectiveness is that on the one hand the polymer is breaking into very small particles that cross the cotton fabric that contains it and on the other the quality of the water.
The polymer is capturing salts and is stabilized with what ceases to capture water.
A good measure of the salts that the water carries are the microsiemens, at the highest number of total salts and therefore faster degradation, for comparing the tap water in Valencia has between 900 and 1100, in Teruel 300, inBarcelona 1800 to 2000, in Madrid between 300 and 500,
A solution in places like Barcelona would be to load it with water from a domestic osmosis that is usually between 50 and 300 although we carry it from week to week when the weekend we climb to the town that is 300 and just in case we get off a couple of water bottlesto Valencia
The differences between each other are in the size of dry crystals, wear stability and the time they take to load water.
Looking we saw that in America and more specifically in Mejico you can get mostly for agricultural use in all its varieties and in Spain the offer is very small and also many go with incorporated fertilizer that are releasing every time they get wet which is notrecommended for us.In addition, the agricultural ones sell them in kg and since a type bag consumes about 10 grams, it is not a plan to load, so we look where we can get them recycling them.
We find that in the diapers there is hydrogel, in some compresses and in the hydrogel balls for decoration of floristeria.
The product that comes in the diapers is in minusual particles, it is loaded with water almost instantly but degrades it very easily with what the cotton fabric crosses and the bag is "pringose" so we discard it.
The following were Floristeria's balls and our surprise was to see that they have it in the stores of "all a hundred" of the Chinese have them in 10 gr (perfect) bags and for less than 1 euro.
The brands are Hidrogel and Cyrstal Soil, manufactured in Taiwan and imported by Dekora Import.
There are two ball tamans and the one we are using is the little one, so that you have a reference, measure about 1 millimeter and if it were a drop of blood for the glucometer I would be small and surely I would be reading error.Once wet it is about 4 to 6 mm.The other size measures 2.5 mm and would be a drop of blood of those that already begins to slip through the finger and wet is almost 1.5 cm with what is very large.
These balls take to charge the first time for a couple of hours and in the recharges as an hour if they are already wet, the stability to degradation by salts and mechanics seems better than what we know of the commercial brand that instead of balls incorporates crystalsirregular
In the stability tests to the load-disarrangement-recar, it has left us very satisfied.
As for the refrigeration capacity it is similar and we have measured it with a probe thermometer, since for work we have lots of measurement devices of many classes.
Finally we have made the roof with dense cotton fabricBought in the street market for a euro that has given us for a couple of definitive bags and several tests.
Cotton is a good option since the humidity has to wet the surface and also has (when you look at the microscope) "hairs" that evaporate water and therefore cool more than the mere geometric surface.
The design in 3 cm wide channels is a good option since in tests with more wide channels they have too much ease to move inside the channel and leave an empty area when it is losing load.
Finally we are lucky that my wife loves the sewing machine and is very skilled with it so that question has been the least problem and each 10 gr bag is the fair amount to fill 4 channels perside, 8 in total by putting 1.2 gr on the channel (we also have gram tenths).

Well I think this is everything ... if there is something that I have left tell me and clarify it

ernesto's profile photo
ernesto
07/26/2014 4:09 p.m.

DM1 Lada debut 22/12/2013 con 55 años

Ernesto, you can make the investigation profitable by manufacturing those wholesale bags. Haha.
Thank you very much for sharing the infornation, we can always try., I will try, .., although the machine sewing is going to be the worst..jajaaa.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/26/2014 8:22 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Excellent!!Je, jeee.We want a photo, we want a photo, we want ...
I plan to try.

aaandres's profile photo
aaandres
07/27/2014 6:43 a.m.

Padre de Andrés, 17 años. Debut: septiembre de 2011.
Levemir (30ud. mañana y 24ud. noche) y Novorapid (en desayuno, comida, merienda y cena 40ud aprox - 24HC/día).
Medidor continuo DEXCOM G4 desde julio 2014
Hemo: 6.2 (Sept. 2013), 7.0 (Dic. 2013), 6.9 (Marzo 2014), 6,6 (Junio 2014), 6,7 (Sept. 2014), 7,0 (Dic. 2014), 7,7 (Mar 2015), 6,9 (Jul. 2015), 7,0 (Sept 2015), 7,4 (Dic 2015), 6,8 (Mar 2016), 6,6 (Julio 2016), 6,8 (Octubre2016)... 7,0 (Mar 2018)

Well here are the photos.
Three covers are seen wet and the other two dry and with different channel width
In the other photo you can see a loaded case and if you realize it is perfectly notice that the filling instead of being irregular crystals are balls

ernesto's profile photo
ernesto
07/28/2014 3:44 p.m.

DM1 Lada debut 22/12/2013 con 55 años

But what woman's artist do you have!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/28/2014 8:06 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Very good idea!

A cordial greeting

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/05/2014 1:58 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.