Josu Feijoo will cross Greenland with insulin in tow

fer's profile photo   03/21/2011 3:24 p.m.

The Basque mountaineer Josu Feijoo, who has won "The Grand Slam" and has received awards such as the "Olympic Badge", in 2009, has now proposed to cross Greenland, even with insulin in the backpack, because he has diabetes, "aMore travel companion, "with whom, he says, she is used to living together.

Feijoo will undertake its new adventure at the end of this month, when the crossing starts, which will take place on an icy surface, with temperatures that will be around 28 degrees Celsius below zero.The challenge will consist of traveling about 1,100 kilometers away in sled and with its hybrid skis.

Next to him will be the one who was already his partner in "The Seven Summits", Jon Goikoetxea, and mountaineer Víctor Izquierdo, with whom he made the journey through Everest.

For the Basque athlete, the difficulty is, rather than in diabetes, in crossing a continent and in the role that the psychological factor plays: "The truly complicated," he explains, "is to deal with monotony and 'Way out', that phenomenon that is created when the white sky becomes confused with the fog lowers and disorient you. "

However, the mountaineer knows that he must adapt his adventure to the care required by this expedition as a diabetic, so he will always carry insulin in the backpack to administer three daily injections, instead of four, as he does now.

fer's profile photo
fer
03/21/2011 3:24 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

What envy gives me.

Lew's profile photo
Lew
03/21/2011 4:05 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well yes!

At least he kicks all those who are saying that we cannot do more than four things ...

All my support and my applause !!!

nella's profile photo
nella
03/23/2011 8:24 a.m.

I don't know if I am invited or not ... but admiration.If for someone who does not have Diabetse any of the achievements of this boy are "unthinkable" because with diabetes in tow I do not want to imagine.I love mountaineering-light, 3000m maximum ... but sometimes it is very uphill to being measuring every little, hypoglycemia for effort or hyper because you have gone from reducing insulin ...

tica's profile photo
tica
03/23/2011 9:22 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

There is also Emilio Valdés, the extreme challenge chamber that accompanies Jesús CallejWe put barriers we are ourselves but being well controlled we can do the same as anyone: D
I leave this link, another great example

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
03/23/2011 11:15 a.m.

With Josu Feijoo I move between disbelief and admiration.
He has made the challenges his way of life (such as j.Calleja), also using diabetes, which does not seem bad ... it serves for diabetes to continue as news and contribute to the demystification of the disease.

However, "selling" that a glycemia control can be done at least nosecuanto degrees or pricking insulin at the top of a mountain ... when that is impossible, because it does not just convince me:-//

DiabetesForo
03/24/2011 2:44 p.m.

It depends on what top but eight thousand meters do not think that anyone thinks about gaining glucose or clicking :)) :)) :))
I leave the link of an interview with Emilio Valdés, I think I already put it in the forum ....

DiabetesForo
03/24/2011 5:03 p.m.

At that altitude the glucometers do not work (pressure and others) ... and "outdoor air" would be freezed immediately.

I suppose that a hypoglycemia in an 8000 -meter edge means very serious problems, so I imagine that they must be eating almost constantly

DiabetesForo
03/26/2011 8:02 a.m.

I, to these people who put themselves at risk, I do not understand ...:-/

Regina's profile photo
Regina
03/26/2011 9:27 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

For me people like Josu have all my admiration.Of course, what a roll that every time you want to do sports you have to eat: -s for me the best invention that could be would be a device that when it detected an hypo you inject glucose or glucagon and that would allow you not to have to worry againNever for the hypos .... a dream.

DiabetesForo
03/26/2011 5:44 p.m.

I suppose what will do will be the basal (which will be click on going to sleep) and dispense almost practically the rapid.It happened to me more than once, in the mountain, that the glucometer when it is below the ideal temperature gives erroneous values, to what what I usually do when I am going to make a march is to check the levels when I wake up, breakfastVery strong, get fast (so that the thing does not shoot, because I do not know you but when I have quite high levels I get a tremendous fatigue) and the rest of the day shoots with the basal (in fact with a half bar in the middle barof whole wheat bread at 2 - 3 hours walking with effort, that is, going up, I have levels below 90).Putting you click on the mountain, with the cold, is a nonsense.

Then, my survival kit is based on carrying cookies (if they are one of those with a high sugar content) and Glucosport.The glucometer and insulin are always glued to the back in the backpack and if I see that it is even cold, I even pass it to an interior pocket of the jacket.

It is a reality that if you used to your body to exercise daily insulin levels are almost tiny.Yes, with that "advantage" factor, this man must play.

Lew's profile photo
Lew
03/27/2011 8:42 a.m.

I don't know if you will get a lot to basal ... I don't even think you can be eating all day.I have no idea of ​​it will do so ... the same is just quickly for the day, depending on how seven height evil ... you can hit days vomiting everything you eat.I don't know, I think it's playing the guy too much.I met a "really" mountaineer who told me that the maximum that had risen were 7000 meters very fair and did not see grace.That discomfort is horrible, that you are not able to think clearly, it takes more than a month to remembered things as before ... that you lose part or all of the vision ..., I think that if for anyPerson is a tute for the body for a person with diabetes I don't want to imagine it.

I read a report by Josu who said that he had frozen insulin in the north pole, he had to heat it to the fire and then had to get much more dose because he had lost part of the efficacy ... that now carried the roads attached to theBody with tape to keep heat ... and I don't know how it will be measured ... The pump say that it is not recommended to use, call Roche and told me that at 3000 and a few hours nothing happened.I was in the Alps, and we stayed Val Thorens town that is almost 3000 meters and the bomb began to do strange things, in fact I did not fall from 250 sugar ... I ended up clicking with the feathers and the problem was solved

tica's profile photo
tica
03/28/2011 7:05 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.