Uncontrolled

DiabetesForo's profile photo   05/26/2011 2:35 p.m.

Hello everyone ... my name is ricardo ... I am 53 years old and type II diabetic for approximately 5-6 ... at the beginning it only reached me with three metformin tablets 850A day in breakfast, lunch and dinner..But ... now the thing has changed and I do not give foot in a ball ... I inject 26 lankThe dinner, but it turns out that I not only wake up with 250 mg or more but that during the day my values ​​are totally disparate .., it is also that I have not taken much with the meals and I do 0 exercise ... no exercise... But this is precisely what I wanted to change and need some advice on the part of the forum, such as what to do and that should change when I started performing exercises .... Maybe it took me too long to become aware of the problem but ofAnyway I would like to try to improve my situation .... weight 110 kg and that bothers me, I do not exercise and I must do it and I would like to have an idea of ​​how to correct the high values ​​of my glycemia in the passing of the day ... I do not know how manyMaximum insulin units I can inject myIt happened as a tremor or uneasiness or nervousness, but I was awake ... I have read many things in the forum but I do not know which one would fit my condition, I understand that the basal is important, but injected 26 units that seem a lot to me, notI know if increasing it to be able to lower the basal, neither do I know that things do not ... I absolutely should not eat, I do not like sweets, I do not try almost alcohol but I feel weakness for the flours such as bread, pizza and pasta..thanks toAll for what they can give me ... the beginning is hard ... it would say that all the way is hard but it is worse to try ...... again thank you all

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
05/26/2011 2:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the forum.

Starting with almost the end of your post: there are no prohibited foods for someone suffering from diabetes.

If you have a cholesterol problem, the amount of fats in meals must be limited but that is because of having a cholesterol problem not by suffering diabetes.
If you have a hypertension problem, the amount of salt in meals must be limited but that is because of having a hypertension problem not by suffering diabetes.
Regarding sweets are foods that have a high or very high glycemic index but that does not mean that they are prohibited, there are many things that without being sweet have a high glycemic index as an example the things you have said (pasta, pizza, bread ...) They are foods that have a high glycemic index and not for not having a sweet taste are free food (it is quite commonThese people believe they do the right thing because they do not eat "sweets").

Someone who suffers from diabetes should control the amount of carbohydrates that ingests but controlling does not mean that it has prohibited foods, if you are with insulin treatment, it should be controlled even more if those amounts of carbohydrates that are ingested and againThe same, controlling is one thing and having prohibited food is another very different.

I don't know how many maximum insulin units can I inject (...)
>
There is no maximum amount of insulin, each person must inject the amount you need (whatever it is).

For giving you a small orientation: the insulin needs of an adult (who wears a more or less stable diabetes) can be around the insulin unit per kilogram and day and of those units there are authors who say that the amount of basal insulin should notexceed 50% (other authors talk about 40%).
You are currently with a basal insulin (lantus) and with oral antidiabetics of the sensitizers (metformin) and assuming that could be applied to your case weighing 110 kilograms you could reach the 55 units of basal insulin (1 unit per kilogram and day and the day and the50% in basal) or 44 basal insulin units (1 unit per kilogram and day and 40% in basal).Eye!!This is only an orientation, do not take it to the letter.

Seeing your evolution in treatments (at first only with oral antidiabetics, then with oral antidiabetics + basal insulin) can be happening at least a couple of things so that that lack of control of which you speak of:
1) That you also have to adjust the dose of basal insulin you are using (the lantus).
either
2) That you begin to have a complete dependence on insulin and need apart from a basal insulin (such as lantus) another insulin for meals and follow a treatment with multiple injections just like a type 1 diabetic.

For the first you will touch you to monitor your diabetes quite a lot for a season and go up the doses of Lantus (do controls in all pre-comidas, in all post-comments and to avoid nocturnal hypoglycemia some morning control), I speak ofGoing up the glycemia that you say you have and because it seems to me that 26 units of Lantus is little for someone weighing 110 kilograms.
For the second I suppose that your endocrine is doing periodic controls of several things among them the peptide-C (since you are of type 2) and if the peptide-C is going down (the production of inrogen insulin is decreasing) it will be necessaryAn insulin to cover meals.

DiabetesForo
05/26/2011 4:18 p.m.

Good morning and welcome to the forum, Ricardo.

I disagree with what you say, TNT, although it is true for a type 1, there are no food restrictions, the same does not happen with a type 2 diabetic ... The diet and exercise are fundamental, and with a diet I mean dietsaid, limiting the consumption of flours, fats, etc ... Keep in mind that a type 2 diabetic does not put a rapid insulin to counteract the effects of HC, S, to those who consume must be fundamentally of slow absorptionand in small quantities.
With respect to the exercise, everything is to put on, Ricardo, it is not a matter of crushing the body, exercise is to walk 1 horita a day, it is pleasant, it does not represent a superhuman effort and above all it is very healthy, there will always be a while that you can takeTo walk, to rpimera or at the last minute of the day, if you live in a heat area and take advantage of the noon if the temperatures allow it, you know, you take your helmets and Ale, in 1 month you will be much better of form, ofCourage and surely everything will work better.
As you say a side effect of insulin is hypoglycemia, as soon as you put the batteries with the diet and exercise you will have to adjust this, because you may need less .... They say that almost all adults are given at nightCount if you have a drop, get used to having juice, or sugar on the bedside table, and do not leave without it, however, however when you start being well controlled, surely it is less likely to happen to you.
And finally, give you many spirits, become aware and take care of yourself is the best gift you can make to your body ...
A hug.

Velia's profile photo
Velia
05/27/2011 6:01 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I quote myself to answer you Velia:

Someone who suffers from diabetes should control the amount of carbohydrates that ingests but controlling does not mean that it has prohibited foods, if you are with insulin treatment, it should be controlled even more if those amounts of carbohydrates that are ingested and againThe same, controlling is one thing and having prohibited food is another very different.

DiabetesForo
05/27/2011 8:51 a.m.

I have many encouragement the comments of all, in fact I began to try to correct the basal since the day I published my presentation, I have increased the dose of Lantus to 32 (26) and I will continue like this until next Sunday, I have measured my glucoseOn 5 opportunities starting at 10 pm and I am from last night stable at 206 mg/dl ... (dawn almost every day with almost 300) I know it is very high yet ... but I try to go slowly because of the doubts ...A new question for you who have much more experience. How decisive are moods, or is it the blood glucose that modifies you?is that my life has been a bit complicated in the last times and I have been reading there that this tb affects the mood and self -esteem ... sometimes I am very sad ... sometimes very angry with everything and sometimes euphoric without so manyreasons ... I know that age does not help much ... but good ... definitively I begin to discover that in the world you can make friends and I thank you for comments ... I think that keeping the glucose level in these three days couldIncrease basal units from Monday in 5 units and see the results ... definitely and to meet the tips start walking for an hour at least to inform my system that I am still alive and fighting ....I suppose that with the exercise and correction of the basal the rest will become a little easier although I still do not discover that it supplant for example the bread at breakfast and in the snack that is the only thing that costs me, for nowHey completely eliminated and really, I am very missing haha ​​... Thank you all I am really surprised with the seriousness and kindness with which they have answered me ... it is very good to know that they are there ... somewhere

DiabetesForo
05/27/2011 9:51 a.m.

Hi Ricardo, Welcome !!!!

I don't know if you have overweight, you say that weights 110 and that bothers you, the endocrine has put a diet ???
You already know that in type 2 diats it is very important to lose weight if you are overweight so the fundamental exercise and control the amounts of food.
The lantus will not cover carbohydrates so you will have to take them with a lot of moderation and continue walking, you will see how you manage to stabilize those glycemia.

DiabetesForo
05/27/2011 11:26 a.m.

The mood, like many other things, influences glycemia, also occurs in reverse, a blood glucose can change our mood but it is impossible to calibrate how much.

I believe that more than considering, will this affect my glycemias?I think the complementary question should be raised, what does not affect glycemia?because there are many things that affect blood glucose levels.

You have to feed and the bread could almost be considered a basic food, do not be so radical with the diet, do not suppress bread, weighs and limits the amount of bread you eat but do not suppress it ... if when you have the dose ofBasal insulin (lantus) more or less adjusted to your needs to control your glycemia you have to do things like that (suppressing bread) PQ there is no way to control glycemia in post-comics may be the time to start using anotherInsulin to cover meals.At the moment, go by adjusting the lantus that for the glycemia that you comment still do not have the dose you need and if later the post-comidas will already be seen ...

Lantus movements are all slow, both dose changes and schedule change, now, with the glycemia you comment, you can make changes from 5 in 5 units (or 4 in 4 units) but when youYou approach the dose you need should be making the changes in a soft MA way (2 in 2 units) and also remember that you should wait 4 to 5 days to assess each change of lantus you do.

DiabetesForo
05/27/2011 5:13 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.