Hispana tells her story to help diabetics

fer's profile photo   06/17/2011 5:36 a.m.

The Venezuelan Adriana Arreaza-Rodríguez recounts in a new book, "is not so sweet", her story since she was diagnosed at age 7 with type 1 diabetes and her struggle to stay healthy, with which she seeks to inspire other people who sufferThis disease.

"This is a book that what you are looking for is to hope to those who, like me, suffer diabetes and tell them that you can live a full life," said Arreaza-Rodríguez, in an interview with Efe, made at home, in Irvine, California.

"We need a lot of discipline, persistence and tenacity, accompanied by faith in God and self -confidence, when we cling to all this we can achieve the most ambitious goals, I am witnessing it and that is what I want to share through my book"The author added.

The author has been voluntary of the American Diabetes Association for 5 years and teaches in public schools to alert about this problem, which records high rates between the Hispanic community.

Escreza-rodríguez was and remains the only case of type 1 diabetes diagnosed in his family, which is a chronic disease whereby the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, therefore, for 37 years it must be injected every day, to control the levelsof sugar in his blood, and also, rigorously follows a special diet and a lifestyle that, he says, has given him his fruits.

"In 37 years that I have been suffering from diabetes, I have not had a single complication. Statistically, after the 12 years of diabetes, you must develop anything, the organs are degenerating, people get complicated from the kidneys, they are blind or cutIts limbs, complications are very frequent, but in my case there is nothing.

In his book, published in Spanish in May by Hirsch Publishing, in addition to narrating his life as a diabetic, he emphasizes episodes that seek to attract the attention of the reader, in terms of concepts and terminology, or also what it can cause in aDiabetic certain foods, certain drinks, symptoms, how to avoid complications, how to take care of eyes, teeth, feet, how to cut your nails.

"They are fundamental details and people often have no idea how important they are because doctors do not always take the time to explain to us, with the depth that is needed, those things that can make the difference between being healthy or not,"The writer said, married for 24 years and mother of two daughters, one of 21 and another of 14 years.

By the end of this year the English publication of this book that the author wrote thinking both the diabetic and her family is scheduled.

This knowledge also shares them weekly in its Internet radio program, "is not so sweet", which is broadcast on Fridays by Turadiolatinoamericana.com.

"I had never thought that my story could help someone, but I have realized that what you live, your circumstances can help others," he said.

He added that faith is what keeps her alive and common sense leads her to put everything on her part to achieve the discipline that makes it possible to live with this disease, without dying daily.

"People not only need knowledge of what diabetes is, you also need love in your heart, you need to feel that there is someone who, although they don't know you, gives you a word of breath, gives you a hug, a handshake, who understands you, accepts and understands you, "he concluded.

fer's profile photo
fer
06/17/2011 5:36 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.