{'en': 'How to conserve insulin in summer?', 'es': 'Cómo conservar la insulina en verano?'} Image

How to conserve insulin in summer?

dsrodri's profile photo   06/24/2011 1:50 p.m.

Hello family,

As we are newbies in this I think we are paying the ride, and that is that with the arrival of heat I think that insulin has put us bad, since last night the glucometer does not stop giving us scares, I explain, after dinner I had my littleAn alarming 301 :(, with its 6 rations of hydrates as always and its 3 units of Humalog, I put 2 extra units and at the hour and a half it had 215.

This morning has risen with 158 (it is always lifted between 90 and 130), and as every morning the corresponding insulin is put and the 3.5 portions of hydrates are taken.At 11h.I call it from work to make control and answer that it has 360 ... UUF that scares, again 2 extra units.

But we have had the climax after lunch when he has given us 418: shock: I have thrown Lantus and Humalog in the trash (I almost shot the glucometer) and I have put another 2 of Humalog of a pen that I have saved again in theNevera, and at the time and fourth I had and 192

Clarify that he is not sick or anything like that.

Is it possible for insulin to lose efficacy due to the temperature of the house?

The truth is that it is very hot here in the south, but the house does not rise from 26.5 degrees, and as I understand the insulin endures up to 30.

Where do you keep insulin in summer?

Thanks in advance, greetings.

dsrodri's profile photo
dsrodri
06/24/2011 1:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Unless you have kept her in a place where she is directly, I don't think anything happened to insulin.
As you say, the manufacturer recommends preserving insulin at temperatures below 30 degrees.

In Valencia, where it is also hot :?I have always kept the feathers that I use outside the fridge and I have not had any problem.
The only thing I do is prevent the sun from directly, I always put the cap (to preserve them from the light) and I always remove the needle ... doing that I do not think you have problems.
But if you want to cure yourself in health, keep insulin in the fridge.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/24/2011 2:58 p.m.

Greetings

A small consultation:

Yesterday I went to a concentration, I always carry my insulin in a bandit with other things such as sugar for hypos and the machine.After the heat route I made, I think I exceeded 30º, I went to look at the glucose and eat something since I had it a bit low.The chocolates I wore were liquid, and I started scratching with insulin, that TB was somewhat warm.

Is there any symptom to diagnose an insulin in poor condition?
Should I discard it?

Host's profile photo
Host
06/26/2011 9:22 a.m.

I think that the heat should not affect insulin, pharmaceuticaleffect that should and we will be high.
Anyway, I would look for other explanations to the climb, change of routine, less activity, that we have been wrong with the most slow rations, or maybe the body behaves differently with heat and needs more insulin.Although what I have read it seems that it is usually the opposite, that we need much less, but for example, I do not know if it will be simple casualiad, lately I need more.

If the subject is very obsessed, a solution can be the fried little penalties, there are for a single ball or for two:

I have asked for one for the pump, and a big one to put glucagon and some ball for when I go on a trip.They have to get to me this week, I will tell you.

DiabetesForo
06/27/2011 4:47 a.m.

Hello colleagues.
Once I spoiled a novorrapid pen and I don't know why it was exactly but I could see the following:
-they floated him like tiny feathers.
-The color passed from transparent water to a translucent pink.
-The smell changed totally, very characteristic.
He showed it to the endocrine and told me that he had effectively spoiled but I miss him very much and did not know how to tell me why.It hasn't happened to me more times.
I ask him what would happen if he put a spoiled insulin and all he told me was that he would not take effect.
Hugs.

Quim's profile photo
Quim
06/27/2011 9:41 a.m.

What a good info !!, thanks quim.

Yesterday I had once with my educator, I told her the above and gave me a fridge case for 2 feathers.He always gives me cool things, I adore that woman: Mrgreen :.

Host's profile photo
Host
06/28/2011 8:22 a.m.

As Quim says, insulin must be transparent ... except the mixed.
Soon there is something murky is preferable to discard them.

The problems usually come through 2 roads: either too much air enters or the hole is broken.

On the other hand, remember that insulin is photosensitive.Not only does the temperature affect it but direct light can spoil its composition.

As almost always, postpanrial blood glucose is the best indicator of insulin functioning.

DiabetesForo
06/28/2011 4:27 p.m.

Any idea where to take insulin when we go to the beach or pool?Any kind of can, like a pen or something ... any more idea?Q IBYYYYY ALL THE FENDEEEEEE !!!: D

roxio89's profile photo
roxio89
07/06/2011 3:05 p.m.

Roxio89, I usually carry insulin or insulin pump, in a backpack -like neverita, which in any shopping center (even in the whole of one hundred) there are.Insulin, as if I put a couple of cocacola light cans.

kekiya's profile photo
kekiya
07/08/2011 12:31 p.m.

I left the insulin out of the refrigerator last week, and the weekend, after meals I reached almost 300, thinking about what could be the cause I started to suspect in insulin, because last week, what a heat!I decided not to throw the insulin but click 2 more units in each meal, and indeed so if it gives correct results.In this way I have been able to verify that insulin (novorapid) loses effect with high temperatures.I take the opportunity to greet everyone.: D

Ariglo's profile photo
Ariglo
08/24/2011 6:47 p.m.

Good people !!Look I have a guy who is a pharmaceutical one and when I debuted, I gave myself a case, which was rigidGreat, the only thing that I only use when I make long trips or I will be permanently a long time to the sun, it is similar to it.

I recommend that you ask in pharmacies, that there is insurance :)

Greetings!

prz's profile photo
prz
08/25/2011 4:43 a.m.

Hello PRZ.

Excuse me to doubt those refrigerators, the truth is that they are very beautiful but I think they are too big, heavy and little autonomy.In addition, what I have understood as bad heat as extreme cold.

I suppose that fridge inside will be prepared but can an ice plate touch and freeze the insulin?A direct contact with those plates I don't know if it would be very good.

Look at this cold refrigerators.It is what really makes me autonomous in transport.It is what except my traveler's life.

I have 2 and endure a lot.Last year he took them to Turkia and submitted them almost 40 degrees and endured very well.

By the way they do not sell them in pharmacies.

Hugs, Quim

Quim's profile photo
Quim
08/25/2011 7:15 a.m.

prz can you show us a photo of what is inside?
And quim you want to tell me which one you have or some photo!
I would add it to you

roxio89's profile photo
roxio89
08/25/2011 7:52 p.m.

Quim, the truth is that it is not as professional as you have sincerely put in the link, but I have been 40º in Punta Cana in the shadow, -20º in Norway, Lapia and -15º in NY and great, the truth that I reallyIt has gone pearls and I have not noticed much change in my injection doses that have gone to evil or something similar to being cooled by the ice blocks in that case.

I think that when you put insulin inside, you can put perhaps about 15º, but then I will keep it about 20º for some horns, I always put there, the glucagon, and the lantus and novorapid when I am going to travel and leave, alecThe glucagon in the frigo of the hotel and the other to my bag, the truth is that yes, what Quim has said is true, total cumbersome, and too large, you have to go with a bandole to be able to take it because if it is not verybulky

Roxio89, I'm going to take some photos later and I upload them to the page for which I see it voucher?Have if I have a hole now in the work and put them, greetings!

prz's profile photo
prz
08/26/2011 6:17 a.m.

dsrodri said:
Hello family, as we are newbies in this, I explain, after dinner I had my little one alarming 301 :(, with its 6 rations of hydrates as always and its 3 units of Humalog, I put 2 extra units and at the hour and a half I had 215.
This morning has risen with 158 (it is always lifted between 90 and 130), and as every morning the corresponding insulin is put and the 3.5 portions of hydrates are taken.At 11h.I call it from work to make control and answer that it has 360 ... UUF that scares, again 2 extra units.
But we have had the climax after lunch when he has given us 418: shock: I have thrown Lantus and Humalog in the trash (I almost shot the glucometer) and I have put another 2 of Humalog of a pen that I have saved again in theNevera, and at the time and fourth I had and 192
Clarify that he is not sick or anything like that.
Is it possible for insulin to lose efficacy due to the temperature of the house?The truth is that it is very hot here in the south, but the house does not rise from 26.5 degrees, and as I understand the insulin endures up to 30.
Where do you keep insulin in summer?
Thanks in advance, greetings.

We had a similar problem last year.The endocrine told me that although it endures at room temperature, it is much better to heal ourselves in health using some device to keep it fresh.We recommended the cold www.carterafrio.es and we use it constantly.In addition we receive it in a few days at home and although it is something expensive, it is worth it.

dasulamacar's profile photo
dasulamacar
02/22/2014 3:16 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.