Milagros Meléndez-Vela: Diabetes, my personal battle

fer's profile photo   11/07/2014 8:59 a.m.

Do not exaggerate!He insisted and deny again telling him ‘I don't take soda’.To what replied with a tone of criticism ‘that exaggerated you are with your diet, if you are skinny a little of soda nothing will do to you’.Poor Juan! I did not know what was facing that phrase soon the smile was erased and in seconds I transformed, taking out "the claws" of defense.I can even imagine my hair in tip.He did not know that he had touched a sensitive point in me.

Bombing. I took some air and answered him as a machine gun: ‘You don't know what you say.If they would have told you that you are on the verge of diabetes when you have experienced the extreme suffering of your loved ones for that disease that ended your father's life, he stole your sight and a foot for your brother and affects his tentaclesTo your whole family, maybe you would not have wanted to take a glass of soda, I refuted him.I took the opportunity to educate him about why my personal battle against diabetes.

From my father to brothers.He was able to eat a small can of condensed milk in minutes while watching television, or a package of chocolate cookies with a bottle of Coca Cola.Years later the bad food habits took its toll.Dad developed diabetes, then mom and immediately, of two of my five brothers, those who were overweight.

Silent enemy. At the beginning the effects of the disease were not palpated visibly.But over the years (and without my family changing habits), evil began to make ravages.And it is that diabetes is generated when the body loses its ability to produce sufficient insulin that allows food glucose to pass to the body's cells, where it becomes energy for muscles and tissues.A person with diabetes does not absorb glucose properly, so that it stays in the blood and damaging tissues and organs over time.

Alzhaimer. in 2010 triggered a list of sufferings in my family.From one moment to another my father developed dementia: Alzhaimer, in fact that the risk factor was diabetes, according to recent studies.The high sugar levels would have caused a series of brain microinfarotos in my father over several years.An August day at my house in Peru, Dad stayed home as usual watering the plants while Mokea went out to make purchases.When she returned, my father didn't recognize her anymore.

cardiac arrest, renal failure.Diabetes had clogged their kidneys completely.He was unconscious 18 days until he gave him another cardiac arrest.There my mother whispered in her ear that she could leave and that she would be well taken care of by her children.Then Dad expired.He was 68 years old.

misfortune after mourning.Because of diabetes.He left the hospital after six months, with an amputated foot, losing his left look and with kidney failure.To live you have to receive dialysis (blood change) three times a week.All because of diabetes.

I too. Two years ago my doctor told me that I was on the verge of diabetes and that I had to change my habits.I thought about my daughter and the years I want to live well.I started eating better and disciplined (I confess that with help).In threeMonths I went down 22 pounds, from a size 10 to a size 2. So I told Juan is not for beauty, but out of need that I do not take soda.He smiled and left.

-see more at: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
11/07/2014 8:59 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fantastic lesson.:)

alex's profile photo
alex
11/07/2014 12:33 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

As if not to do it after what you have seen around.Hopefully many would have been able to avoid our diabetes.

beti's profile photo
beti
11/07/2014 5:40 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.