Toxic metabolites, key in complications

DiabetesForo's profile photo   09/14/2011 7:10 a.m.

toxic metabolites, key in diabetic complications

Glucose control may not be able to prevent complications associated with diabetes, according to a study presented yesterday Angelika Bierhausen at the XLVII Congress of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes, which is being held in Lisbon.

Recent studies have shown that, even in type 1 diabetes, glucosylated hemoglobin (HBA1C) and the duration of the disease can only explain 11 percent of the associated complications.In addition, several research in type 2 diabetes conclude that patients do not seem to benefit from greater glucose control, even if it approaches a normal HBA1C.In fact, there is a "diabetes paradox" explaining a subtype of patients with advanced phase complications.These have high levels of HBA1C even though they have normal oral glucose tolerance.The paradox confuses clinicians and patients and requires a pathophysiological explanation that could lead to a new therapeutic generation.

Glycosylated hemoglobin and the duration of the disease, even in type 1 diabetes, only explain 11 percent of complications
The correlation between HBA1C and nephropathy, neuropathy, retinopathy and cardiovascular disease points out that non -enzymatic glycation reactions and the accumulation of final products of advanced glycation could play a role in this matter.

However, Bierhaus has commented that this theory does not completely explain the paradox, since it is believed that the most important regulation factor of protein glycation is glucose."In spite of everything, decreasing it to normal levels is not the best way to fight against complications. However, there is a growing evidence that indicates that reactive metabolites accumulate even under conditions close to normoglycemia. And what is more, particularly in type 2, the signaling pathways for reactive oxygen species (ROS), reactive carbon species (RCS), reactive dicarbons and protein glycation are activated independently of glucose control. "

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/14/2011 7:10 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I have always been clear.In the same way that two people the same punches do different sequelae and damage, each person is different from all levels, including the deepest within our chemistry;The last "layer", the genetic level.And what is harmed 3, to another does a damage of 5 and a third party of 7. Therefore, the control of the disease is what we all grab ourselves, but there are many more variables that influence that personThey may or may not have problems in the future.In fact, we see it in some people who, with little years as a diabetic, develop eyes, or kidney, or incipient neuropathies.And others have nothing in the same period.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/14/2011 7:28 a.m.

ISCI / debut: 1986 / HbA1c: 5,5%

In addition to what you comment, what I glimpse in this news is the same as we have once commented: to pretend, at all costs, reduce glycosylated to values ​​close to normality does not guarantee absolutely anything, except hypoglycemia.

On the other hand, they talk about oral glucose tolerance ... why are there so few studies on liver glucose?(I have not read them anyway)
Why almost anyone, talk about it, or in diabetological education?

According to my particular theory, a patient with high levels of stress releases continuously/discontinuously hepatic glucose that harms both external glucose.

DiabetesForo
09/14/2011 7:47 a.m.

In addition to what you comment, what I get in this news is the same as we have once commented: to pretend, at all costs, reduce glycosylated to values ​​close to theNormality absolutely guarantees anything, except hypoglycemia.

On the other hand, they talk about oral glucose tolerance ... why are there so few studies on liver glucose?(I have not read them anyway)
Why almost anyone, talk about it, or in diabetological education?

According to my particular theory, a patient with high levels of stress releases continuously/discontinuously a lot of liver glucose that harms both external glucose.

I believe that this hemoglobin totem is collapsing little by little.There are more things than to monitor than hemoglobin, which also, by itself, indicates nothing more than a simple average, and we already know how unreal average can be in certain conditions and circumstances.What you say about liver glucose will also put your grain of sand, certainly.But for me it is more important what you say at the end;For me, one of the secrets of glycemia control are hormones, something that we have no control and that directly conditions the metabolism of glucose.

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/14/2011 7:52 a.m.

I really want to cover my Idos and shout at you "speak chucho that I do not listen to you" .... I get a repelús what you tell, and it is not that I want to look the other way, but jolin, I think of my daughter with her13 years, and all the efforts that it is difficult for us to maintain the levels in decent limits, that I cannot avoid thinking (and now, I know what to think is not good), in all the complications and how little we can do to avoid them ... Let's have depressed myself: ((((

Velia's profile photo
Velia
09/14/2011 8:35 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I really want to cover my ways and shout, "Chucho speaks that I don't listen to you" .... I get a repelus what you tell, and it's not that I want to lookOn the other hand, but jolin, I think of my daughter with her 13 years, and all the efforts that it is difficult for usAll the complications and how little we can do to avoid them ... come on that I have depressed myself: ((

Montse, don't think about your daughter.Without going any further, think for example, you don't have diabetes.Who tells you that you can't have something important in the future?Well, nobody assures you anything.Even though you take care of yourself.And diabetics are exactly the same.No one assures us anything.We cannot promise a diabetic that if you do what you should, you will never have problems.In the same way that we cannot promise someone to take care of themselves and today is healthy, who will continue to be in 25 years.That is normal.And so we must accept it.What sometimes overwhelms when you think about it?well yes.But we cannot be around the coconut of whether or not we have cancer.Because one in four will have it.Or one in five people will have a vascular cerebro episode.We (healthy and chronic sick) can only play our role;And that is to take care of yourself, the more, the better.The rest does not depend on us.And do not think that your daughter for having diabetes already has all the tickets to have more problems, because it is not.In that raffle she enters, the one who has dyslipipemia, the one with hypertension, the one who has obesity, who smokes, the one who drinks, the one who has a coronary insufficiency ... and so many more ...

HanSolo's profile photo
HanSolo
09/14/2011 11:01 a.m.

Of course no one guarantees us anything, it is impossible to do so, now we are reading or writing in the forum and tomorrow? .....:-/

I take care of myself, I try to have the hemo and the best possible controls, lead a healthy life because if tomorrow I have any complication for diabetes at least I do not want to regret it for not having careful, I do not want to repent for what I did not do, I will facewhatever comes but I will not bitter because it has not yet happened and I don't know if it will happen .....
Let's live the present.

DiabetesForo
09/14/2011 11:34 a.m.

Hala, now that we began to have the glycemia under control, we learn that the worst does not work so much :?

I remember my grandmother again, who said: "After the expense made and the people together, now the bride says he does not like": Oops:

Anyway, to cross fingers. Are you still operating?:)) :)) :))

DiabetesForo
09/14/2011 7 p.m.

Gondurulo has already explained it very well

We need to take care of ourselves, obviously, to stay within acceptable and healthy limits is what we should do ... but nobody guarantees us 100% nothing.

In addition, as the years go by longitudinal studies will show us better the results ... that insulin is barely 100 years old, that analogues do not have been in the market or 20 years ... so the analysis of patient evolutionWith diabetes it is starting.

DiabetesForo
09/15/2011 4:21 a.m.

We agree .... He caught me in a moment of laziness :?

Velia's profile photo
Velia
09/15/2011 4:42 a.m.

De los buenos tiempos, siempre quiero más...
Mamá de Ángela, ¡16 añitos, fiera!. Debut: octubre de 2003.
Bomba insulina Medtronic Paradigm Veo desde junio 2005
Última hemo 6.1

I think the best proof that good control avoids complications, it is we.We are all very sanitos, even after 20 years of diabetes.So continue like this: D

Regina's profile photo
Regina
09/15/2011 5:12 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I think we must explain that it is a "metabolite", here is a summary:

Metabolite is a substance that the body elaborates or uses when it breaks down food, medications or chemical substances;or its own tissue (for example, fat or muscle tissue).This process, which is called metabolism, produces energy and the materials necessary for growth, reproduction and health maintenance.It also helps eliminate toxic substances.

A metabolite is any molecule used, capable or produced during metabolism.Thus, given the metabolic route:

A → B → C → D → E

A, B, C, D, E are the metabolites;The first metabolite of the route (a) is usually called substrate, the last product and the rest (b, c, d) intermediary metabolites.

If lactic fermentation is taken as an example, one of the evolutionarily older metabolic routes, glucose is the first metabolite (substrate), the starting point of a series of reactions that will lead to lactate, the last metabolite or final product;Between glucose and lactate there are 10 intermediary metabolites.The initial substrate is taken from the medium or cell reserves and must be provided continuously so that the route is carried out;The final product accumulates in the cell and must be expelled as an excretion product;Intermediary metabolites are usually found in very low concentrations, since as soon as they are produced they are transformed into the following.

Since metabolic reactions are catalyzed by enzymes and these are genetically determined, any alteration of DNA will involve a dysfunction of the enzyme, a block of the metabolic route and the accumulation of an intermediary metabolite in the cell.

A → B → C → //

In this case, the dysfunction of the enzyme that catalyzes the passage of C a d originates the accumulation of the metabolite C in the cell (and the non -production of E), which can cause disorders in individuals, generically known as metabolic diseases (which, which,In addition, they are hereditary).

For more information you can visit the page Link that explains with much more detail some of those that are generated naturally, etc ...

fer's profile photo
fer
01/21/2015 4:16 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.