Real stories with diabetes - N1

ADISAMADRID's profile photo   10/10/2011 3:31 a.m.

Interview conducted for page www.diabetesaldia.com

Pilar Martinez Gimeno when "want" is power "... and the disease becomes a path

In 1998 he created an Internet page called “Diabeticos del Mundo”, founder along with Joe Cardozo, from the www.diabetesaldia.com www.diabeticosaldia.com Continuously information and maintains an interesting exchange of experiences with people from different countries of the world.

They are already known by many chats that are organized through their page to address issues of interest to all.And of course we can find her on Facebook and Twitter: Link

He currently lives in Madrid, with her husband Juan and her two children Gerard and Pau who has also gradually educating himself in what "living with diabetes" means.

She is attended by Dr. Pilar Martin Vaquero and her team of professionals at the Clinic Specialized in D-Medical Diabetes, of Madrid ( www.d-medical.es ) Also perform follow-up controls at the Puerta de Hierro Hospital

Debuting in diabetes

Summarizing the story of Pilar Martínez is perhaps a challenge, as was the disease for her since she began to become aware of the vulnerabilities that by having diabetes they opened in her life.

In the spring of 1978, when she was a young woman full of health, of enthusiasm, and with a lifetime ahead, she suddenly ran into this obstacle on her way.

At that time he lived in his hometown, Mar del Plata, Argentina, and tells us:

“I was 19 years old and made a normal life.I worked at a bank and, after my work schedule, I studied the geography career at the National University of Mar del Plata;I went out, and I had fun like any young man of that age.It was precisely in that spring when my sweet companion appeared ... that at that time it was neither so sweet nor soGood companion. "

His arrival was "catastrophic", something like an earthquake of 8 on the Richter scale ... and maybe I stay short to conveying how all my physical, mental and emotional structures staggered.The very clear and devastating symptoms: an insatiable thirst, very fast thinning (of having a normal weight in 3 weeks I lost 12 kilos), immediately after drinking I ran to urinate, I suffered incontinences, as it was so much the liquid I consumed (includedsugary drinks such as queues), which on many occasions did not reach any bathroom in time and the tragedy occurred in the middle of the street or in some elevator.My mouth was always dry, (clear indication of being dehydrated), I suffered dizziness and generalized discomfort, (hyperglycemia and ketone bodies were wreaking havoc in my organism).

I did not dare to say anything to my parents, but inwardly I knew something bad was happening.Finally my condition became too obvious for them because the thinning was excessive and the striking thirst.Having in the family a type 2 diabetic grandmother, my parents knew something about the matter, although I had never internalized what that disease was only knew that my grandmother "had blood sugar."

The diagnosis of the clinical doctor who first saw me was blunt: "You have diabetes ... and from now on you will have to inject insulin for the rest of your life" ... for me it was "desperate", I felt fear almost touchingThe "panic" and the terrible feeling that nothing would be as before.No one explained to me everything that I, necessarily, needed to know.This was the "misinformation" that was transmitted to "debutantes" patients in Argentina by that time.

The impact of the diagnosis led me to go through several stages, with which surely, many will feel identified:

1st The stage of denial.First of all I felt an immense rejection of my illness."Why me?"I kept asking me.I did not understand and did not accept having to submit from then on to a continuous treatment of insulin, with a diet that at that time had nothing like the current ones, extremely strict, where "behaving well" meant eating totally lean meats,salads and carbohydrates (which were like a "bad word") were not included in any of the regimes.

"It just can't be!Surely the doctor was wrong ... I will have to consult with other professionals ” - I lied to myself ..

2nd The phase of protest and aggressiveness.She lived angry with everyone, and mainly with myself.Someone had to blame what was happening to me.I got to use my illness to manipulate all those around me.And I also did not accept that I was psychologically badly and needed help.

3rd The phase of devaluation that came immediately followed by another stage of "depression."I believed myself different from others ... I felt that I had become a "weirdo" and with the shame that others knew what was happening to me and came to reject me.Again that "Why to me?"Every time I whipped my thoughts.

Later the 4th self -destructive stage arrived, which irremediably led me to continuous revenue in the clinic, for presenting repetitive hyperglycemia and ketoacedosis pictures.Unconsciously I "punished" myself.I ate everything I should not and to complete, on many occasions I stopped applying my insulin dose.

Opening new paths.

While his encounter with diabetes was no less traumatic than that of many of our testimonies, Pilar was gradually discovering that there were other tools that would allow him to cope with this new condition that until that moment limited it and theShe enraged with herself and the world.

Almost by chance, or rather through the affection of their parents (who were always with her in the good and bad moments) and friendships that wanted the best for her, who wanted to recover the usual friend with her very joy and optimism, she was invited to a course on mental control, and this produced a radical change in her way of facing diabetes as she tells us:

Something magical happened, because it was like an encounter with myself, opened my mind and broke with the limits and prejudices that conditioned my life.It allowed me to transfer the borders of "I can't", "I'm not able", "Why me?"And to become aware of what I really needed, professional help.Also unintentionally and without imagining it deeply mobilized my spiritual part.This led me to friendly with God, to whom I reproached him continuously what had happened to me;I also allowed myself to approach traditional psychological therapies, and later participate in endless personal growth courses, positive personality, gestalt psychology, and transactional analysis, which allowed me to train as an instructor in various workshops of this type.

I had grown from the skin inward, and despite being aware of everything that involved for my being a person with diabetes, I still had many "black holes" in my life, for lack of information and education.

I changed several times as a doctor.There was also the possibility of having a glucometer to do hair controls during the day.There was no internet, nor did he know of diabetics associations near where I lived.I didn't even know people who dared to declare themselves openly as "diabetic" ... and thus share my experiences with them. "

Educational Conferences Organized from Adisa Madrid - Diabetics Association of the Sierra de Madrid
Ignorance is the worst complication of diabetes

To pillar the lack of information and education were determining factors in the complications that eventually appeared.In the principles of his encounter with diabetes, a neuropathy affected his legs.High levels of blood sugar and the impossibility of becoming continuous controls as can be done today, facilitated the acceleration of this complication.

Infections also turned out to be another setback when treated;If the glycemia levels were decompensated a simple angina could lead to immediate hospitalization.

Urine infections were repetitive, and after 10 years of evolution of their diabetes, a non -proliferative retinopathy was diagnosed, when it began to be treated in Spain:

-"Fortunately my" ignorance "cleared just based in this country.Of course, very important things happened in my life, such as meeting Juan, my husband.From the first moment we were totally involved with my illness and became my main partner and knowledgeable of my "sweetness."

I gave much importance and priority to my medical visits, and I also started a laser rays treatment to control diabetic retinopathy.He was always one of the ghosts that had generated the most fear in me.Thinking that I could be blind terrified me.However, the periodic control of my view, allowed me to stay without more complications and also overcome all those fears that harassed me. ”

The adventure of being a mother

Becoming a mother becomes one of the most desired and sought after experiences by any woman.For Pilar to be a mother, it also implied a very important challenge, to cope with a high risk pregnancy, because to her condition of unstable diabetics the age was also added.During her life with diabetes the doctors who had treated herPreviously they did not recommend pregnancies, but their desire was stronger, and the conviction of "wanting is power" devastated all the fears that had tried to sabotage their hopes.So it was that Pilar launched the adventure of being a mother:

“From the moment John and I considered being parents, it was as if all the concerns had dissipated.A new energy was born in me that I could not contain, I had always longed to have a child.I had imagined it, I had shaped my thought, but astrological coordinates seem to never agree to specify this illusion.However, when we met, the desire that our love could materialize in a son, grew and encouraged me to take the resolution of being a mother.

We talked to Dr. Luis Vila (who took me at that time) to comment on our decision, and clearly explained the importance of "preparing" my body to receive a pregnancy.It was necessary to achieve optimal metabolic control of diabetes, glycosylated hemoglobins by touching normality before conception.

But we did not give time to anything, our desires were so big that I became pregnant before starting the recommended preparation.

They immediately sent me to the Sant Pau hospital in Barcelona, ​​where from that moment Dr. Rosa Corcoy and her team of endocrine specialized in pregnant diabetic women took the reins of my brand new state.From that moment on it began for me a great intensive learning experience about diabetes.

It was one of the periods of my life in which I struggled the most to maintain the right controls.My glycemia always remained touching normal values, although my biggest problem was the loss of sensitivity to hypoglycemia and went to them without just realizing.I even suffered losses of consciousness.All these inconveniences led me to remain my last two months of gestation, admitted to the High Risk Room of the Hospital.

I will be grateful all my life to Dr. Rosa Corcoy and all her people for accompanying me throughout this wonderful and risky trip that lasted 8 months, because Gerard had to be born prematurely by caesarean section, as planned, due to her exaggerated increase in weight.

Thus our desire came true.I always understood that it would be difficult to get it ... but I also knew that to materialize every dream in life, you have to help it be fulfilled.It is not enough to dream and desire, it is not enough to ask God every day.You have to put energy and optimism to the desired goal, one must put into action and "risk" many times.In addition, things should be done "good", and always remain close to those who know.

His life for and for diabetes.

Pilar tells us that every time he has to write about his diabetes, or talk about it he meets the disadvantHe could finish his stories, because everything that diabetes added to its history is always appearing in his memory.In her positive conception of life she does not stop thanking God that diabetes is part of her days, because it was the same that led her to be "the pillar" that is today, the woman who found a special meaning to herlife through your own disease.

“Living with diabetes today is not a problem, we have the best means to correctly bring your control.At the moment I have continuous insulin subcutaneous infusion (insulin pump) I have been with it for a year and I have achieved normal glycosylated hemoglobin (6.2%) hemoglobin, I also just incorporated the sensor whose continuous readings of the real-time guard they provide moreInformation and trust, 24 hours a day.The trend graphics offer me a clear image of glucose levels over time and allow identifying personal patterns and anticipating important changes.Especially to hypoglycemia, which is something that worries all people with diabetes.
I can manage and improve the control of glucose levels.

Using the insulin pump, the sensor, and receiving personalized attention by the team of medical professionals specialized in diabetes, through videoconferences, telephone and personal visits, I feel safer to be taking my diabetes correctly.

The responsibility is in ourselves, we simply have good use of the facilities offered by the society in which we live.We must learn to take the reins of our sweetness, and make ourselves “friends of our diabetes” because our future depends on this friendship, and internally we want tomorrow to find us without the serious complications that can lead to a poorly carried and forgotten diabetes.We must get involved with our disease, "accept it" and help our family and other families in the same situation educated to support the person with diabetes.Education, information, daily controls and medical visits, the corresponding treatment, (insulin or non -insulin -dependent) care in food and exercise are fundamental to achieve our objectives.

And to conclude I want to affirm that you can be happy living with diabetes.

I allow myself to take a few words from the writer Jorge Bucay (whom I admire and read always):

“Happiness has nothing to do with sadness, nor pain, -even with diabetes -

Happiness is to feel the certainty that you are on the right path ”... and so I feel.

ADISAMADRID's profile photo
ADISAMADRID
10/10/2011 3:31 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.