{'en': 'Between 10% and 20% diabetics have 1 serious hypo a year', 'es': 'Entre el 10% y el 20% diabéticos tienen 1 hipo grave al año'} Image

Between 10% and 20% diabetics have 1 serious hypo a year

DiabetesForo's profile photo   06/15/2012 1:58 p.m.

Experts estimate that 20% - 30% of the hospitals beds are occupied by people with some diabetes -related ailment, and between 6.3% and 7.4% of the health expenditure is intended to prevent and treatThis disease.

“All people who receive insulin or oral hypoglycemic, whether they suffer from type 1 diabetes and type 2, can suffer from hypoglycemia events.It is estimated that between 10% and 20% of people with diabetes suffer from a year a serious hypoglycemia, which, in turn, entails a high sanitary cost: 20% -30% of hospitals beds are occupied byPeople with a diabetes -related disease, and between 6.3% and 7.4% of the health expendJiménez Díaz Foundation of Madrid, during the presentation of the “Hypoglycemia: Rocker and Control,” campaign, launched by the Federation of Spanish Diabetics (Fede), with the collaboration of Novo Nordisk.

“The main objective of this campaign is to raise awareness about the need for diabetes education, since today the treatment of this disease cannot be conceived without education in this regard;It is absolutely essential that the patient knows what to do at all times, minute by minute and day by day, and what decisions has to make in each situation.Not only is the formation of the patients themselves but also that of their relatives and the closest environment regarding what are the symptoms of hypoglycemia, how to recognize them, what are they due and how to stop them, ”said the expert.

hypoglycemia are a very frequent condition: it is estimated that among those suffering from type 1 diabetes there are 1.2 severe events per patient and year, while the incidence in type 2 isof 0.4 events (one event every two years).

“Hypoglycemia is one of the main barriers to the quality of life of the diabetic and, in addition, it carries with it a series of complications, which are more serious in the case of older people due to the issue of comorbidities.Likewise, there are studies that relate the appearance of arrhythmias and with sudden death, ”said Dr. Rovira.

Regarding the measures to be used to prevent the appearance of hypoglycemia events, the endocrinologist commented that “it is difficult to achieve the optimal balance between blood glucose control, so that it does not reach excessive blood level, and the prevention of hypoglycemia.In addition, the fear of suffering from it, especially when an episode has already been suffered, can lead to the decrease in the dose of insulin and other drugs, to neglect the glycemic control itself or to eat more than necessary.In this sense, it is essential to prevent most of the nocturnal hypoglycemic episodes, which represent 74% of the total and entail the greatest risk of deriving in a coma.There is also the risk, in the case of repetition hypoglycemia, that the patient gets used to these events to the point where they are unnoticed, a tremendously serious situation. ”

Sensitize the population

The campaign is based on the celebration of days on which people with diabetes and their relatives meet doctors specializing in this disease and representatives of patient associations to solve their doubts and receive exhaustive information about hypoglycemia and the latest developments inwhat prevention and treatment refers.

“The main objective of this campaign is to achieve the sensitization of the population regarding this problem and, also, reduce the number of hypoglycemia and contribute to the viability of the health system.This also seeks to promotemaximum self -control by patients and avoid one of the added problems that can lead to hypoglycemia: the lack of adhesion to treatment, due to the fear that many patients who have suffered an episode of this type have to be suffered from which their glucose levels descendExcessively, ”said the president of Fede, Ángel Cabrera.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/15/2012 1:58 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The last paragraph, of the president of Fede, I liked ... that then they tell me that I get a lot with Fede.

I have highlighted 2 things in blue.
The first are beastly numbers ... Little thing to clarify more.

From the reading of the news it seems that hypoglycemia are the cause of hospital admissions ... that is not so, or by far.

They should have set what is a severe hypoglycemia ... It was usually defined with 2 conditions: loss of consciousness (or seizures) and below 40 mg/dl
They do not explain anything here.

If we only take the blood glucose measure, the average of hypos per year does seem right for type 1 and surprising for type 2: o ...

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
06/15/2012 2:06 p.m.

Well, it sounds like the diabetics of health expenditure for the new cuts that are coming, what happens that they make it saying that it is for our good.I believe that there is no right to this, the health managers are to blame for how they organize.At least in Salamanca, where I live a diabetic they put glucose in the emergency department, recover, and for his house.They have told me like this, they don't enter you here.
In the end we will be to blame for the death of Manolete and everything.
We have enough with daily control and sometimes with few means to overwhelm us more.

ajd's profile photo
ajd
12/29/2016 10:49 a.m.

I carry 6 income from severe hypoglycemia in this 2016, so I break the average.Emphasizing that not perceiving them is as a consequence of having many years (26 in my case), it should be important and, also in my case, together with various operation, especially the last of 2 cervical discsons with sequelae,makes not detecting them a natural consequence.Thus, the subsidy of the methods to avoid them, MCG and bombs, should be something established for both diabetic and for those who, like me, are in the situation of not foreseeing them, which would mean a very important savings to health.Or how much have my 6 hospital income cost along with the more than 15 home care of 061?

sllf's profile photo
sllf
12/29/2016 11:20 a.m.

Diabético tipo I desde 1990 y tengo 50 tacos. En Abril de 2017 con Minimed 640g y su MCG. Hoy estoy con Minimed 780G. Financiado MCG por la SS desde Junio-2018. Hipertensión arterial y ocular. Colesterol. Operado de 2 hernias discales cervicales (C5-C6 y C6-C7) pero con diagnóstico de "Operación fallida". La diabetes todo me lo perjudica....y nos arruina, la Seguridad Social debería financiar A TODOS!!!!! no cuando estás medio muerto como a mí!!!
Última HBA1C: 6,5% (después de muchos años en 9%)

Owash ... below 40 several times unfortunately and about to lose awareloss of conscience ... I get bad about talking about this ...

Papajesus1's profile photo
Papajesus1
12/29/2016 4:14 p.m.

Padre de Jesús. Bomba insulina y dexcom g4 share. Debut con 18 meses....ya con 7 añitos...Hemo entorno a 7....y mucha lucha diaria.....ya sabéis..poco dormir y bastantes miedos....pero mi niño es feliz luego yo también.

@sllf, in your case an MCG is the necessary treatment.Request it, to see if you get me finance it.Even if it is the free, with which you will see trends.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/29/2016 9:03 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Thank you @regina for your suggestions but financing does not finance any, you could only start freestyle, but from the second sensor to coach touches.Anyway, the freestyle does not convince me since my problem is not to have any kind of feeling in the hypos (I have come to do controls while in 25 mg and cooler than a lettuce, without exaggeration) with what, orI am continuously passing the reader, and you have to do other things in this world, or I would give me the hiccup without realizing it.

sllf's profile photo
sllf
12/29/2016 11:28 p.m.

Diabético tipo I desde 1990 y tengo 50 tacos. En Abril de 2017 con Minimed 640g y su MCG. Hoy estoy con Minimed 780G. Financiado MCG por la SS desde Junio-2018. Hipertensión arterial y ocular. Colesterol. Operado de 2 hernias discales cervicales (C5-C6 y C6-C7) pero con diagnóstico de "Operación fallida". La diabetes todo me lo perjudica....y nos arruina, la Seguridad Social debería financiar A TODOS!!!!! no cuando estás medio muerto como a mí!!!
Última HBA1C: 6,5% (después de muchos años en 9%)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.