Starting with 17 years!

zetas_x's profile photo   07/08/2012 7:02 a.m.

Hello!I am new here, I am from Madrid, I am 17 years old and DM1.
They already diagnosed me in September 2011 just when I was 17, but I didn't need insulin because they detected it quickly, by chance, since I did periodic blood tests because I also have to control an autoimmune hypothyroidism, and I got glucose infast a little high.They referred me to endocrinology in the hospital and there they put a treatment with metformin and Januvia (Sitagliptin), without guarantees that it would work.But I was doing well, until two weeks ago when I had an appointment with my endocrine to review the latest analysis, and my glycosilada was already 8'3.He told me the words that most feared: "The time has come for you to start injecting insulin."For me it was a bit shocking, because it is worth, I knew that I would have to arrive, but at that time everything collapsed inside me, and I even started crying with my nurse.:))

He gave me my glucometer and all the necessary material, he explained to me, proposed a diet ... and so I went home.I needed a few days to assimilate it a bit, but from the beginning I changed radically all my habits that were not quite correct, and here I am.I have realized that before that day I did not take it so seriously, one does not believe how serious it can be until it sees it for itself, and that it is a fairly strong change, but at least notIt limits me at all (despite the awkward punctures), and I have taken it quite well.At first I was very obsessed and glycemia measured almost every hour, but I have already moderated a lot and I do it as they recommended.Always before and after breakfast, before food and before dinner.And then I interspersed, after the food and after dinner, and the next day I do it before snacking and at dawn.In total there are 6 measurements ... do you consider that it is fine to start, or is it a lot?From what I learned, in the SS there is a shortage of strips so you better not pass.:))

My doctor recommended starting 8 units of Lantus, and that for now I did not have to inject with meals.A week I changed to 10, because I got somewhat high levels before meals.Food and exercise I carry quite well, I thought it would be more complicated but I have seriously become it and I am quite proud of myself: Mrgreen: although from time to time I get somewhat higher than I wanted.I am not very put in all this of carbohydrates and such, but I suppose I will learn it.And I think in diabetes I will end up being an expert, hahahaha.

And everything is already, I registered in the forum to be somewhat more informed, and meet more people who are in my situation and such, since, no matter how strange it seems I do not know anyone else apart from me who has diabetes!!I will tell you more, I hope you accept one more in the forum!Greetings!!!:)

zetas_x's profile photo
zetas_x
07/08/2012 7:02 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to Olga Forum

6 daily measurements is fine ... whenever there are no unforeseen events: shock: because in this diabetes there are often ...

I don't know why they treated you with metformin and Januvia: shock: ... I imagine that they would try to preserve insulin production ... but normally that is of no use because type 1 diabetes is autoimmune (quite related to hypothyroidism).

But well, the important thing is that you are controlled and you carry it well.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
07/08/2012 11:28 a.m.

Thank you very much Owash!

For now I think I'm fine, glycemia before meals all come out between 75-95, but I usually have quite high peaks later, especially after breakfast, and that as much less carbohydrates than they had recommended... so I suppose that the next time I have an appoint

Metformin and Januvia was an option that proposed to delay insulin treatment, but it made it clear that sooner or later I would have to administer it equally, and the truth is that until recently it was not bad for me,At the end of March I had a hemo of 6'5, but then I do not know if it would be for stress, carelessness in food, exams, selectivity, little physical activity ... that the results were shot suddenly and I already started having to haveThe typical symptoms, so now at the end of June I was suspended the treatment with the pills, which did nothing to me, to start with insulin.Right now I am already clear that I prefer injection before the pills, I hated taking them, metformin (I took 3 a day) had many side effects and sat very badly.: EVIL:

Well, thanks for the welcome, see you here!:)

zetas_x's profile photo
zetas_x
07/08/2012 3:40 p.m.

Olga do not feel bad because you need an ultra -grant to cover the meals.It's normal and you're going to feel much better, you will be able to eat everything and you will feel much more free.

Welcome.

DiabetesForo
07/08/2012 5:43 p.m.

Thank you very much, I know it is normal, I think I am obsessed too much to have normal values, and it is seen for now it is not possible ... On the other hand, I am afraid of rapHypoglycemia and such, and for having to be clicking every time ... :?

Anyway I don't understand it ... The other day, on an empty stomach gave me 85, I had breakfast and after two hours I had 130. Yesterday, I also woke up with 85, then I had breakfast exactly the same as the other day and marked me more than 200... Is it normal?: Shock:

zetas_x's profile photo
zetas_x
07/09/2012 5:41 a.m.

Yes, daughter ... in diabetes 2+2 are not usually 4 most of the time.

Keep in mind that not only affects what we eat but 3698525 more things: stress, exercise, hormones, rule, heat, insulin, puncture areas ...

DiabetesForo
07/09/2012 1:10 p.m.

Yes, daughter ... in diabetes 2+2 are not usually 4 most of the time.

Keep in mind that not only affects what we eat but 3698525 more things: stress, exercise, hormones, rule, heat, insulin, puncture areas ...

Go for God ... I definitely have a lot to learn, this diabetes is a mystery.At 6 I had 111 and I deserves an apple, then I went for a walk and arrived at dinner (21h) with 234 ... PFFF does not seem normal to me.I ended up having dinner normal, but I don't know what to do in these cases ... Maybe it would be better if nothing had dinner?I don't want you to go up anymore ...

Well on Wednesday I will see the educator and I will ask him all the doubts ... I'm sorry to saturate with such a question hahaha!:))

zetas_x's profile photo
zetas_x
07/09/2012 4:37 p.m.

In the end I have also put the novorapid ...
It's a stick but good, I'm starting with carbohydrates and I think I'm doing quite well ... but for some meals it is more difficult for me.It cost you a lot to catch the trick?

Greetings!

zetas_x's profile photo
zetas_x
07/13/2012 6:27 a.m.

It is only a matter of practice, I was calculating with portions that did not work for me or shots, and yet with the hydrates count
I am much better, I suppose that more or less we will do it the same (for every hydrate a united of insulin), my educator prefers for portions and the truth I do not understand it I see it more complicated, the only problem I have is with the rice there is no wayAccording to the 100gr rice feeding table, it is equivalent to 7.8 because I put 8 units of fast and nothing ... Uploaded to you.

aurora2's profile photo
aurora2
07/13/2012 2:59 p.m.

I believe that with the theme of rice we could create a thread for that food only ... I do not catch the trick.

DiabetesForo
07/13/2012 3:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.