{'en': 'The ´Bomba´ Allied with diabetes', 'es': 'La ´bomba´ aliada de la diabetes'} Image

The ´Bomba´ Allied with diabetes

fer's profile photo   12/16/2014 9:56 a.m.

Galician doctors bet on insulin pump therapy, a portable device that manages this substance constantly and scheduled throughout the day.

A small portable device of the size of a mobile - which can be disconnected to go to the beach or do sports - that administers the insulin continuously and programmed that the diabetic patient requires throughout the day.This therapy, baptized as insulin bomb, is for experts the best system of administering insulin since "mimics how to do it that the pancreas has", but does not end up gaining adherents.In Spain, only 5% of diabetics use it due to false beliefs such as that it limits the autonomy of the patient, which is large or that is an artificial pancreas.

When the pancreas stops segregating the hormone that controls the blood sugar level, insulin becomes an inseparable travel partner for many diabetics that have to inject it several times a day.End the continuous punctures -which are necessary only a couple of times a week -, reduce the risk of hypoglycemia and especially administer the insulin in the most similar way possible to how the organism itself would already be possible thanks to theInsulin pump therapy.Although for Galician doctors this treatment "only has advantages", there are still very few who are encouraged to follow it.In Spain, only 5% of diabetics have an insulin bomb -it is the penultimate country in Europe -an implementation rate that drops to 3% in the case of Galicia, according to the Federation of Spanish Diabetics.

The insulin pump is a small portable device - of the size of a mobile phone - that connects to the body subcutaneously through a cable and a catheter and that manages insulin automatically and continuously during the 24 hours of the day."This system allows to inject insulin in a more physiological way, it is the closest thing to the function of the pancreas," says the head of the Endocrinology Service of the University Hospital Complex of A Coruña (Chuac), Teresa Martínez, who explains that this therapy"It allows to better adjust the amounts of insulin" since it can be programmed so that the device administers different amounts and only forces to change the infusion system every three days."It allows greater freedom of movements and better control," he says.

Some advantages that share from the Federation of Spanish Diabetics, where they ensure that it is the ideal treatment for children with diabetes 1. "in these patients reduces up to four times the risk of hypoglycemia and reducing the number of injections from five daily toAn average of one every three days, "they point out from this organism, where they emphasize that among the main advantages for children is that it encourages their autonomy."Better control allows children to have more autonomy to manage their diabetes and when performing daily activities such as eating, sleeping, sports or excursion," they point out from this association.

From the Spanish Federation of Diabetics they indicate that the British Medical Technology Evaluation Agency recommends that 50% of children under 12 years with diabetes are treated with insulin pump.A light years rate of which is recorded in Spain.Only 3% of children with diabetes 1 resort to this therapy, according to the Federation, a treatment that follows 75% of minors in Slovenia, 59% in Norway or 45% in Germany.In the case of Galicia, only ten children control their insulin pump diabetes.Experts are clear that it is because of the lack of information and false myths.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/16/2014 9:56 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Reduces hypoglycemia and is fantastic for sports.For the rest, it is neither an artificial pancreas nor the long -awaited cure.

ROAR's profile photo
ROAR
12/16/2014 2:17 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I am very happy with her, it also gives a lot of independence at the hours of the meals and (at least I) I have stopped being so slave to the clock

belefe74's profile photo
belefe74
12/16/2014 5:39 p.m.

Diagnosticada en 1997
Siempre intentando mejorar.

Hi guys!!They put it in January, I hope to adapt well and solve the Hypo and Hyper that I have, because right now I am desperate

anicordoba's profile photo
anicordoba
12/17/2014 8:12 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The last of Minimed, avoids the hypos, stopping injecting insulin when it detects them, with the continuous meter, something like that I have read.Let's see if you find that link ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/17/2014 11:33 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hello ,,, the cateter spare parts needles and others where they get ???? Do you have to pay them,?pay or at least part which is the price ????? ..........

lauriii27's profile photo
lauriii27
12/25/2014 10:16 p.m.

Dm1 desde 1993
última glico 5,5
bomba insulina desde enero 2015

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.