Both main types of diabetes may be due to the same mechanism

fer's profile photo   12/19/2014 2:39 p.m.

The results of a recent investigation suggest that the two main types of diabetes, type 1 and type 2, are the product of the same mechanism.

The authors of the study, of the University of Manchester in the United Kingdom, and that of Auckland in New Zealand, have provided convincing evidence that type 1 diabetes, initiated mostly in childhood or youth, and type 2 diabetes, arecaused both by the formation of toxic lumps of a hormone called amiline.

The finding raises the hopeful possibility that both classes of diabetes can be restrained, and perhaps even reversed, by medications that prevent these toxic lumps from being formal.

In addition to producing insulin, cells in the pancreas also produce amiline hormone.Insulin and amiline normally work together to regulate body response to food.If the production of these stops, and it is not possible to properly control blood sugar levels, they tend to rise, causing diabetes and damaging organs such as heart, kidneys, eyes and nerves.

Part of the amiline produced can be deposited around the cells in the pancreas, such as toxic lumps, which later, in turn, destroy the cells that produce insulin and amiline.This cell death causes diabetes.

The research carried out by the Garth Cooper team, a professor at Manchester, suggests that this mechanism is not only the material cause of type 2 diabetes, but also type 1.

The difference is that in type 1 diabetes the disease begins at an earlier age and progresses more rapidly, compared to type 2, because there is a deposition of faster amiline lumps in the pancreas.

Professor Cooper's group hopes to have potential medications ready to move on to clinical trials in the next two years and are expected to be tested with patients with type 1 diabetes and patients with type 2. These clinical trials are planned with research groups with research groupsIn England and Scotland.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/19/2014 2:39 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, I'm glad that a common denominator is finally found in both diabetes because type II are the great ignored medicine (to the point that in its initial phase without insulin we have to pay us the strips) and sometimes "despised" by the typeI ... I include that I have had some things in this same Forooo ... ("Bah this news is for type II" ..).And I have not noticed it alone. But other types II that have entered the forum and they have let me know ... (I say this to record and we all make reflection without the slightest encouragement of acrimony).Because I say (and for us to stop to think) is that some type I believe more diabetic than me?.Opss I don't get out of my astonishment !!
Obviously this demonstrates what I already supposed: that there were more similarities than differences between both pathologies.
Kisses to allss

nina45's profile photo
nina45
12/22/2014 8:52 p.m.

Diabetica tipo II desde Diciembre de 2012 pero descendiente de diabéticos desde nacimiento
Medicacion: metformina de 850 gr mañana, mediodia y noche.
Ultima glicosila 6
Lema: "If you want a positive life, spent time with positive people!"

In Alzheimer's disease there is also an amiline tank in the nervous system, look there is already a common denominator for diabetes 1, type 2 and Alzheimer's.I suppose that once they discover certain mechanisms, they will advance in the treatment of many diseases.That is my Christmas desire !!

beti's profile photo
beti
12/22/2014 11:05 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

There must be common genes for both types of diabetes, because there are families in which they are interspersed.
Nina, what happens to type 1 is that we talk many times about the problems that Insulin treatment gives us, that you do not have type 2.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/23/2014 1:35 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.