{'en': 'The life expectancy of people with type 1 diabetes grows', 'es': 'Crece la expectativa de vida de las personas con diabetes tipo 1'} Image

The life expectancy of people with type 1 diabetes grows

fer's profile photo   01/13/2015 3:20 p.m.

Although the life expectancy of youth type 1 is almost a decade less than that of their healthy peers, this implies an improvement with respect to previous studies.

The life expectancy of young people with type 1 diabetes is between 11 and 13 years less than that of their peers without the disease, according to a study of Scotland.

"This result is optimistic: as long as there is no cure of diabetes"

While the news might seem discouraging, the main author said he indicates an improvement regarding the estimates of the great published studies.

Dr. Helen Colhoun, of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Duendee, stressed that the difference in the life expectancy of both groups is decreasing."It is not zero. But the goal is to be zero," he said.

In Jama, his public team that, according to previous estimates from the United Kingdom, the population with type 1 diabetes died between 15 and 20 years before people without diabetes.A report of the 70s increased that 27 -year -old gap in the United States, while a report of the 1980s in New Zealand placed it in 16.5 years.

"Most are old data," said Colhoun.For her, having correct information is relevant because it demonstrates the progress of the care of type 1 diabetes.

The authors reviewed the national data of Scotland over 24,691 people with type 1 diabetes diagnosed between 2008 and 2010. They estimated that men with type 1 diabetes would live 11 years less than men without the disease, while in women that difference would be13 years.

At 20, for example, type 1 diabetics would live, on average, up to 66 (men) or 68 (women) years, while those without the disease would live, respectively, 77 or 81 years.Even in people with type 1 diabetes and preserved renal function, the gap was eight years.

"It should be noted that they are averages. Some people with type 1 diabetes will have a very widespread life expectancy and others, they are estimates," said Colhoun.

The main factor of loss of life expectancy is heart disease, but people who died before the age of 50 were more likely to die from more acute diseases, such as ketoacidosis.For Colhoun, the results demonstrate the importance of strict control of blood glucose values ​​and cardiovascular risk factors of people with type 1 diabetes.

In a second study published in the same magazine, a team compared the evolution to seven years of 711 patients with strict blood glucose control with that of 730 people with a more lax monitoring.The first group was less prone to die in 27 years than the second group.

"This result is optimistic: as long as there is no cure of diabetes, at least we can preserve the health and future of type 1 diabetics," said Dr. Lori Laffel, from the Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/13/2015 3:20 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

You have to be realistic, and things are like that.Let's see who makes a pension plan!

I have discussed this issue many times in my family (the family, parents, etc ... are "blind" and think, as parents who are, that we will live 100 years and encourage us).quote?The maximum?The minimum?It is clear ... the one who is wage earner, is already "automatic" but the type I diabetic, if you have to quote, the minimum minimum possible (if not 0).If life expectancy is 67 years (80 in a healthy person) ... What pension do you think are you going to charge?Ok ... yes, that we all know 80 -year -old diabetics ... but for that 80 -year -old, mathematics does not fail, there is another that has "gone" with 55.

This does not have to be a "bad news", it is a fact (and over time it will improve, I have no doubt ... but when ours improves, that of healthy people improved much more ... and the age ofretirement little less will be life expectancy), and perhaps it should be useful for valuing many things (enjoying money now as much as possible, and not investing too much in a hypothetical future).

Of course, a type I diabetic from childhood, quoting the maximum of the SS and with a private pension plan to complement it ... It is the dream of the State and any financial entity :)

greetings

pabloj2000's profile photo
pabloj2000
01/29/2015 6:08 p.m.

PUBLIRREPORTAJES NO¡¡¡

Life expectancy is greater as treatments advance ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/30/2015 1:30 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

And why can't I pre -retire before if my life expectancy is less

jjvm's profile photo
jjvm
07/20/2017 1:58 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I just got dead ... I didn't know that life expectancy was 67 years .....

Carmen Gomez Dalmau's profile photo
Carmen Gomez Dalmau
08/03/2017 12:14 a.m.

I don't see it very complete without specifying glycosilada ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/03/2017 2:46 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

I agree with @regina, I don't think I have the same life expectancy someone with good control as someone with a bad one.If they only make you the average of all they are a bit "false" data.There will be many people who have bad control and die quite young and others with good control reach 80 or more.I think it would be better if they gave the data by glycosylated ranges or something.Probably someone with a glycosylated to a non -diabetic who also does sports has the same life expectancy as a non -diabetic.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
08/03/2017 11:57 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Carmen Gomez Dalmau said:
I just got dead ... I didn't know that life expectancy was 67 years .....

Do you have 68?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/03/2017 11:07 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@"Sherpa41" :)) :))

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/04/2017 1:14 a.m.

@"Sherpa41", the Chungo is whether it is 66 ...

Gala's profile photo
Gala
08/04/2017 11:46 a.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Figures apart, something unquestionable and as a conclusion: as diabetics, we will live less.

Greetings.

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
08/05/2017 1:12 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Well, I can already Spanish I have already melted more than half of my life and I still have much to do.I will tell my daughters to spare because if I don't give me time to see my grandchildren and at work I will tell you that they prejubile them at 55 with 100% because at this step I will not reach retirement.
Luckily I do sports.I always say that I do it to lengthen my life expectancy 5 more years I say it of coña although in the background it is true

YaizaJ's profile photo
YaizaJ
08/08/2017 7:41 a.m.

Nor should we give glycosylated total importance, I have taken very good controls by mixing hypoglycemia with hypers and then the half comes out well but it seems to me that this is to cheat yourself, now I have no hypoglycemia but I can not get off 7 the glydAnd I think better controlled.

ref666's profile photo
ref666
06/21/2018 12:44 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.