Diabetes and sport

chema's profile photo   09/03/2012 2:40 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I have been diabetic for 15 years and a bomb user for 2.5.I am 36 years old.I am going to run 3 or 4 times a week between 45min and 1 hour.Every time I go out I measure the glycemia I disconnect my pump and go running (about 19.30 - 20.00)

When I arrive I measure me and I am always fine, yesterday, for example 80. At 22.00 I start dinner, I put the corresponding bolus and at 3 hours a surprising 268 ...

Lately, in 80% of cases I always have those high hyper.But, of course, I don't want to put extra bowling after eating because it is not always like that.

How do you do it when it comes to sports?something like that usually happens to you?Do you have rebounds?

Greetings and thanks.

chema's profile photo
chema
09/03/2012 2:40 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

And what dinner?It seems that you fell short with the bolus ... are always the same, the same rations of carbohydrates)
I go for a run or walk at the same time as you and I have never had rebounds, on the contrary, I have to be careful at dinner so as not to have drops at night.I do not disconnect the bomb, from 6 pm I have scheduled a very short basal of 0.30 and if I am a bit fair as something before leaving.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/03/2012 3:34 a.m.

Dinner is fully controlled.I measure everything, last night was a ration and a half of bread and a yugur (0.5).This happens to me a lot when exercising.
Whenever I run I have to remove the pump and I got well.The rebound must be given to me.It has no explanation.

chema's profile photo
chema
09/03/2012 3:46 a.m.

It happens to my tb, well it happened to me ... I finished at 80 and at 200) or what you see with an extended bolus after sport (half an hour or one hour), even if you are fair ... think that if you do sports without the bomb, you do not "have" basal insulin ... prove this with a drinkHand sugary in case you have a hypo.Another option is that you take an extra ration and get a little more insulin ... and the last option is that you run with the bomb with a basal of 30 or 40% (to me these three measures have saved me from that increases)

tica's profile photo
tica
09/03/2012 7:18 a.m.

Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro
DM1 desde 1988
Mamá de 2 niños y a la espera del tercero
Bomba + Dexcom

Then Tica, you just run, you had dinner, and you put the insulin that played according to dinner;And apart from this you put an extended bolus of 1.5 for time or hour and a half, is it so?
I believe that when I take the bomb (1 hour), it is true that I have no basal insulin during that time but I believe that I replace it with the exercise I do.I am right ??
With respect to the last option if I arrived between 70-100, if I put the bomb with basal -30/40% would come very low unless before running I take 1 or 1.5 ration of carbohydrate.

Clarification: Before running, I usually be between 130-170, if not, or I don't come out.

chema's profile photo
chema
09/03/2012 8:28 a.m.

Do not believe, I didn't get that 30-40%almost anything ... I lowered the basal about half an hour before starting, even if I was 100 and I didn't feel like it, I eat anything, I put the basal 0%Until I was starting to run and then a minimum basal and so "never" did and that hyper, but for me it is a pussy to run with the pump and more if I go alone that I take mobile in case something, money, sugar, pulsemaker happens to me, dogs: p .... in the end little and more and I had to wear a backpack, and if the bomb falls that does give you a pull ... ufff

So many times I opted for what I told you about putting on an extra unit in the next hour, it worked for me 80% of the time ... but sometimes I had a mini hip and sometimes a hyper ... it's a chungoSport and diabetes, but feel so good ...

Each body is a world, but if I went from running (or pulsations) I made my hyper like you (which tried to solve as I have commented) and at 2 hours or something like that I needed less basal insulin ...

Try a couple of days the extended bolus to see if it works ... to try ... :)

tica's profile photo
tica
09/03/2012 8:45 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Thank you very much,
You are right, I don't like to run with the bomb on, it's a fattening.
I will try to put on the extended bolus.I put it after dinner ????

chema's profile photo
chema
09/03/2012 9:26 a.m.

I put it at the end of running, if you stretch and that, because at that time, you will tell us if you do well :)

tica's profile photo
tica
09/03/2012 10:29 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Although I have no bomb, use Lantus and Flexpen Novorapid, I usually run in alternate days, that is 3 or 4 times a week.

If I do not run, before eating I click 10 units of Novorapid and 26 of Lantus.The days that I am going to run (I run in the afternoon), I click before eating 8 fast and 24 of Lantus.This in general, depending on the circumstances can several from 1 to 2 units.

Surely it is not applicable to your guidelines because you use bomb and because each one is a world.It is just giving another point of view;)

DiabetesForo
09/04/2012 6:54 p.m.

Well, first test and ............. perfect !!!!!!!
I have followed your advice and very well.
Today I have run about 10 km, and when I have come home (20.30) I have put an extended bolus of 2 units.for 2.5 h.At 21.45 I have dinner and I have put the bolus corresponding to the hydrates consumed.Now, 2.5 hours after dinner, I have 106 glycemia.A low tad for my liking, but well they are not the 268 of the other day.Now a couple of cookies and sleep.

Thank you very much Tica for your tips.

All the best.

chema's profile photo
chema
09/04/2012 7:16 p.m.

I do not have a bomb, use Lantus and Novorapid, and I try to run out of the insulin action time, from 4 hours of the injection, sometimes I leave early in the morning and others in the afternoon, it works well for me.
What is noted is that after running the body asks for hydrates, and usually need less insulin for breakfast or dinner.;)

fer's profile photo
fer
09/05/2012 6:29 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I leave you a report that values ​​the benefits of the exercise for diabetics, in summary it would be:

• * Doing soft sports is positive for diabetic.
    * Better not practice it if blood glucose is above 250 mg/dl (with ketone bodies) or 300 mg/dl (without ketone bodies).
    * Correct glycems with carbohydrate counting and based on the experience of how exercise affects blood glucose according to its intensity.

exercise and diabetes mellitus type 1

The complications that characterize diabetes, both at 1 and 2, are produced by circulatory alterations.Therefore, everything that means improvement in cardiovascular situation will mean an advantage for the patient.In a type 1 diabetic the exercise allows similar control with lower doses of insulin (let's not forget that high doses of the hormone produce increase in weight, lipids and blood pressure), so that the person who practices sport can improve their situation of their situation ofwell -being and better control its cardiovascular risk factors.It should also be borne in mind that most patients with type 1 diabetes are in a better physical condition, which facilitates that the exercise is vigorous and the most accused benefits.

Many times not recommending exercise to people with diabetes derives from the fact that adjustments in the usual treatment can be complex and sometimes the doctor himself finds difficult to adjust the doses and take carbohydrates to the practice of sport.Although it is true that there are strategies that facilitate adjustments, such as doing the exercise to the same intensity and at the same time, we cannot forget that the vast majority of type 1 are treated with bolus/basal guidelines, which facilitate the adapt the treatmentto exercise.There are algorithms to modify the doses of insulin and the taking of carbohydrates depending on the type of sport, duration and intensity of the same, time at which it is practiced and type of insulins that are injected.Of course, each patient is different and when a sport begins to start starting with short and soft sessions and increasing intensity and gradual duration after observing the response of each individual.

Logically, we must avoid exercising when glucose is above 300 mg/dl or 250 if there are ketone bodies.We must also respect the contraindications that derive from the presence of certain complications such as retinopathy, which contraindicates the very vigorous and resistance exercise, severe peripheral neuropathy, a situation in which it is preferable to practice sports that do not involve an excessive burden onThe limbs (swimming, cycling), autonomic neuropathy (a thorough cardiological study must be done before starting with exercise), advanced nephropathy (although not all authors consider that renal alteration represents a contraindication).

In short, and respecting the commented contraindications, the greatest world experts and the most prestigious scientific societies, such as the aforementioned ADA or the American Associations of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, support that patients with type 1 diabetes do sports.Although in some cases introduce a greater degree of complexity to the metabolic control of their glycemia, the benefits exceed the risks with a high level of evidence.

fer's profile photo
fer
09/05/2012 6:46 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Chema, I'm very happy that the Council has served you, that each body is a world ... Try to put 2 units instead of 2.5 or a little less to not get so fair at night ... or you have toPutting a basal 90% at night, once you have found something that more or less controls hyper now it is a matter of adjusting

tica's profile photo
tica
09/05/2012 9:53 a.m.

DM1 desde 1988
Bomba + Dexcom

Very interesting everything you comment to stop post exercise, thank you very much.I have read you that the pump bothers you to run, I don't know if you already know it, but after trying many options, in the end we use this belt Link For my son to wear the bomb, it is not expensive, the problem is shipping costs, we request between several and it was good for price.Ah!There is a specific one for the insulin pump, or case, it is the same as the others only that it brings a little hole to stop the catheter, which ends up breaking.

mornita's profile photo
mornita
09/05/2012 4:53 p.m.

Well, first test and ............. Perfect !!!!!!!
I have followed your advice and very well.
Today I have run about 10 km, and when I have come home (20.30) I have put an extended bolus of 2 units.for 2.5 h.At 21.45 I have dinner and I have put the bolus corresponding to the hydrates consumed.Now, 2.5 hours after dinner, I have 106 glycemia.A low tad for my liking, but well they are not the 268 of the other day.Now a couple of cookies and sleep.

Thank you very much Tica for your tips.

Greetings.

Congratulations Chema, that diabetes is not an obstacle to practicing sport but a more incentive

DiabetesForo
09/05/2012 7:06 p.m.

I leave you a report that values ​​the benefits of the exercise for diabetics, in summary it would be:

• * Doing soft sports is positive for diabetic.
    * Better not practice it if blood glucose is above 250 mg/dl (with ketone bodies) or 300 mg/dl (without ketone bodies).
    * Correct glycems with carbohydrate counting and based on the experience of how exercise affects blood glucose according to its intensity.

exercise and diabetes mellitus type 1

The complications that characterize diabetes, both at 1 and 2, are produced by circulatory alterations.Therefore, everything that means improvement in cardiovascular situation will mean an advantage for the patient.In a type 1 diabetic the exercise allows similar control with lower doses of insulin (let's not forget that high doses of the hormone produce increase in weight, lipids and blood pressure), so that the person who practices sport can improve their situation of their situation ofwell -being and better control its cardiovascular risk factors.It should also be borne in mind that most patients with type 1 diabetes are in a better physical condition, which facilitates that the exercise is vigorous and the most accused benefits.

Many times not recommending exercise to people with diabetes derives from the fact that adjustments in the usual treatment can be complex and sometimes the doctor himself finds difficult to adjust the doses and take carbohydrates to the practice of sport.Although it is true that there are strategies that facilitate adjustments, such as doing the exercise to the same intensity and at the same time, we cannot forget that the vast majority of type 1 are treated with bolus/basal guidelines, which facilitate the adapt the treatmentto exercise.There are algorithms to modify the doses of insulin and the taking of carbohydrates depending on the type of sport, duration and intensity of the same, time at which it is practiced and type of insulins that are injected.Of course, each patient is different and when a sport begins to start starting with short and soft sessions and increasing intensity and gradual duration after observing the response of each individual.

Logically, we must avoid exercising when glucose is above 300 mg/dl or 250 if there are ketone bodies.We must also respect the contraindications that derive from the presence of certain complications such as retinopathy, which contraindicates the very vigorous and resistance exercise, severe peripheral neuropathy, a situation in which it is preferable to practice sports that do not involve an excessive burden onThe limbs (swimming, cycling), autonomic neuropathy (a thorough cardiological study must be done before starting with exercise), advanced nephropathy (although not all authors consider that renal alteration represents a contraindication).

In short, and respecting the commented contraindications, the greatest world experts and the most prestigious scientific societies, such as the aforementioned ADA or the American Associations of Cardiology and Sports Medicine, support that patients with type 1 diabetes do sports.Although in some cases they introduce a greater degree of complexity to the metabolic control of their glycemia, the benefits exceed the risks with a high level of evidence.

Very good information and very well summarized to take into account when doing sports.I have to say that before debuting I was already running.At first, when I was going every 2 per 3 to the endocrine to control and guide me in the beginnings, I told me that I would forget to run.Luckily, my controls and the results of theAnalysis that I do every 3/4 months have proved me right and occasionally asks me how the "races" are going.I do not know if I discouraged me if I could not continue running without risk or for what your text says (the complication in the adjustment of the recommended dose)

DiabetesForo
09/05/2012 7:13 p.m.

Hello Chema!I advise you not to take off the pump, because the exercise generates an increase in glucose due to the so -called "exercise stress" and it is not advisable to exercise without insulin because the muscles need it to be able to use glucose and that does not accumulatein blood causing hyperglyrmia.My endocrine recommended the following: decrease the 50% pump one hour before exercise and throughout the year.So you avoid having to eat before sport and at the end there is no hyper problem because you have blood insulin.

I hope it helps you.I do it for everything: run, spinning ...
Cristina.

Pepita's profile photo
Pepita
09/07/2012 9:43 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.